Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 5, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #1,126 of 4,845
I got mine several days ago and really happy with them. Right away they had tremendous sound. Accurate bass, mid, and highs. Imaging, and soundstage were superb. Better than any headphone ever owned. I started hearing things in songs like never before. Holy Cole's voice timber in I Can See Clearly Now. The guitar riffs in Nils Lofgren's Keith Don't Go (Live). My goodness, these headphones are wonderful.

I find the pads to be perfect. At one point I forget they were on me. The fit and finish are just fine. Plastic could be a point of objective, but that reduces the weight too, so a tradeoff there I'm fine with having.

The grills on mine are smooth and feel substantial, very protective.

Standard cable is high quality, wish it were a bit longer. May look into a high quality (and longer) replacement. Any suggestions?

These headphones are a welcome addition and improvement to my listening pleasure. Thanks Massdrop and Sennheiser.

Edit: And on the third day of listening almost constantly, I noticed they got even better, more imaging and detail, wow. Burn in seems to work...

I order the stock HD650 cable from Sennheiser Canada and it came in today. I replaced that short restrictive cable that came with the HD58X. I have 2 days of burn-in but plan to let it run in at least another 4 days or so.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,127 of 4,845
IMG_3373.JPG
Well look what the cat dragged in....just running them at max off my Imac in the shop with Kraftwerk's "The Mix"...I'll pull out all the stops later on the Bryston BHA-1/BCD-1 combo....but initial impressions, at $150, can't see how anyone can have a legitimate complaint....took a quick listen and they sound pretty good (I'll get into more of that later)...too bad I now longer have my 650s or 660S....geez I'll just have to judge them on their own merits :triportsad: ..... or at least against my HD800Ss.....oh and they look IMHO rather sharp. :)

ps...for those anal about serial numbers...it must be random because I joined the drop last week and got 597.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #1,128 of 4,845

Well look what the cat dragged in....just running them at max off my Imac in the shop with Kraftwerk's "The Mix"...I'll pull out all the stops later on the Bryston BHA-1/BCD-1 combo....but initial impressions, at $150, can't see how anyone can have a legitimate complaint....took a quick listen and they sound pretty good (I'll get into more of that later)...too bad I now longer have my 650s or 660S....geez I'll just have to judge them on their own merits :triportsad: ..... or at least against my HD800Ss.....oh and they look IMHO rather sharp. :)

ps...for those anal about serial numbers...it must be random because I joined on the second drop and got 597.

Glad to hear that you finally got them. Mine are no. 867 and I joined the drop in February. Couldn't have put it any better regarding your impression (auditory & cosmetic). I have the HD650 (Dekoni elite velour pads) and the HD6XX (stock pads) so I plan to do a bit of comparing in a week or so.

Jul 5, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,130 of 4,845
Sorry I didn't know there was a drop in February, I should have said last week.

Hahaha you did say last week. I was just implying that I got a relatively low serial number too and I didn't even order in the 1st drop. So I'm agreeing with you about the serial numbers, these puppies are being sent out randomly. By the way I don't give a schiit about the serial numbers either.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #1,133 of 4,845
It's what they add up to that's important. I got 21. : )

Blackjack 21!
If I were you, I would go and buy myself a few lottery tickets!
Luck always come in pairs!

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,134 of 4,845

ps...for those anal about serial numbers...it must be random because I joined the drop last week and got 597.

Good acquisition! Not bad that they arrived in Toronto from last week's drop. I'm in Honolulu from the original drop, still patiently waiting for FedEx to hi-five it over to USPS. It's just as well since I've got an amp kit that I'm trying to put together before the headphones arrive and I've been having troubleshooting issues. I'm looking forward to your further impressions, especially against the HD800S (well, and on their own merits).

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #1,135 of 4,845
I guess there is one number I would not want the rest are fine

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #1,136 of 4,845

Enjoy ,,

mine still on the way .. cant wait to compare it with my 6XX , 660S :wink:

btw try the album 3-D The Catalogue by Kraftwerk , its amazing with headphones ..

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #1,137 of 4,845
I'm still in the "getting to know" phase with the HD58Xs but I can already tell they are going to take the top spot away from my Philips X2s.

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,138 of 4,845
Would love to see if anyone on here gets the serial no.580, would be pretty cool! (And pic's or it didn't happen!) :beerchug:

@Rob80b - Good old Kraftwerk!! :D

Jul 5, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,139 of 4,845
I still have no clue what my HD-6XX number will be or if they are going to make me wait two more months for it .
By the time it arrives I should have every other member of the family except the 650 because that would be redundant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back