Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 24, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #631 of 4,845
Bit surprising that no one has posted any impressions yet while quite a few have received them already.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #634 of 4,845
I've been spending a lot of time lately with my HD600, 650, 660S' in anticipation of receiving mine. My shipment was pulled back and I still haven't received a new shipping confirmation or tracking #.

I use my HD6XX for about an hour on my bedroom system most nights before I hit the hay and during the day I listen to my HD650 (with Dekoni Elite Velour ear pads) on one of my other headphone systems, so in other words I'm very familiar how both cans sound. Typically I allow a new headphone to run continuously for 4-7 days on one of my integrated amp/speaker systems, occasionally sneaking short listening sessions. However due to all of the anticipation about the HD58X I must confess that I'm going to audition them the first night after it arrives. I'm not going to get too excited about the sound though knowing that there may be a change in sound after adequate run in. But hey, curiosity is definitely getting the best of me.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #635 of 4,845
I use my HD6XX for about an hour on my bedroom system most nights before I hit the hay and during the day I listen to my HD650 (with Dekoni Elite Velour ear pads) on one of my other headphone systems, so in other words I'm very familiar how both cans sound. Typically I allow a new headphone to run continuously for 4-7 days on one of my integrated amp/speaker systems, occasionally sneaking short listening sessions. However due to all of the anticipation about the HD58X I must confess that I'm going to audition them the first night after it arrives. I'm not going to get too excited about the sound though knowing that there may be a change in sound after adequate run in. But hey, curiosity is definitely getting the best of me.

How both cans sound? They’re the same headphone.

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #636 of 4,845
How both cans sound? They’re the same headphone.

Actually my HD6XX's are slightly more energetic in the high frequencies than my HD650's. Since receiving the HD6XX back in December I decided to try the Dekoni ear pads on the HD650's which changed the sound characteristics of that headphone, so much so that they sound unlike the original HD650 (in a very good way I might add). So now both of these headphones sound different from one another.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #638 of 4,845
Actually my HD6XX's are slightly more energetic in the high frequencies than my HD650's. Since receiving the HD6XX back in December I decided to try the Dekoni ear pads on the HD650's which changed the sound characteristics of that headphone, so much so that they sound unlike the original HD650 (in a very good way I might add). So now both of these headphones sound different from one another.

So the Dekoni Velours are actually worth trying out?

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #640 of 4,845
I, too, received my pair already (but sadly am away) and received pair 4209 rather than an "under 500" pair like I was originally promised. Super upset at massdrop's screw up with numbered pairs, but they seem to be wanting to fix the issue, so it'll be a while before people start posting their 2C since it seems like all of us received exactly what wasn't expected.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #641 of 4,845
I could give a rat's backside what serial number I receive as that's pretty meaningless -- I just want to hear them. Mine have been marked as shipped since Thursday, 2018-06-21, but still in the "Label Created" state with FedEx. I reckon I'll get them by end of week at best, which is fine.

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #642 of 4,845
It's a darn sticker, worth nothing. I'd rather have higher number - at least those wouldn't be test runs (not that I don't trust Sennheiser's QA).

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #643 of 4,845
That's not the point; if you order something and expect it to come as "X", you definitely want "X". You don't want "Y", or anything else. Above all, it's principle and I, for one, kind of think of it as a reminder that I was an early supporter. I trusted Sennheiser, (massdrop.... meh) and knew they would deliver something that seemed right up my alley and I get a sort of satisfaction from the thought of having something somewhat special.

Saying not to care about having a nicely numbered pair, (***, atleast give me under 1000) is like telling everyone to stop buying the audiophile snake oil that makes up most of HiFi.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #644 of 4,845
I think so many are being shipped at once that "label created" status may be hanging around longer than expected. I'd seen it happen before where it was suddenly marked as shipped and I get it the same day because they just took 2-3 days to update shipping. It's gonna be okay folks, please don't be upset about serial numbers. I've ordered three different HD6-- family pleather pads from Amazon and those have arrived. I'll give more detail on them once tested. One was called hard to fit, another kept the good aspects, and boosted bass, another cut bass and added spaciousness, based on what I read of the reviews at Amazon (no, I don't have the headphones yet to test them on). I'll give a full review with hopefully pad results. The pads are all under $30 each, so we'll see.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #645 of 4,845
I could give a rat's backside what serial number I receive as that's pretty meaningless -- I just want to hear them. Mine have been marked as shipped since Thursday, 2018-06-21, but still in the "Label Created" state with FedEx. I reckon I'll get them by end of week at best, which is fine.

I dont even have a label yet. People ordering Wednesday are probably going to get before I get mine, which is slightly offensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back