Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jun 5, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #511 of 4,845
Being fairly new to the head fi community, and relatively green when it comes to headphones, Sennheiser has done a wonderful job of confusing the heck out of me. That being said, out of all the 600 series, I'm fairly confident the 660s is the one I want. I just stumbled across this thread, and had no idea the HD58X even existed. Without reading every single post in this thread (I read the 1st post from the OP), does the HD58X closest resemble the 660s? If this is the case, I definitely need this set of cans. I don't think I've even come across these for sale in the classifieds or ebay. Is this drop going to go live again, or is it over? If this set of cans closest resembles the 660s (same drivers?), why does it have a 500 series name? Somebody please tell me these are closest to the 660s for less than half of the retail price, and then tell me you have a pair for sale! !

1. The HD58x is not the same headphone as the HD660S. It does not use the same drivers. However, it’s the closest to the HD660S without being the exact same. Both have the same impedance. The drivers are not equal but their technology and design are related and similar. The sound signature is very similar if we take into consideration the recently released graphs of the production version of the HD58x. From around 100hz and above both headphones are quite similar, with raised response around 1khz, dip in the 2-3 kHz region and rise around 7-8 kHz. All of this is quite similar between the two. The bass however on the production version of the HD58x is more extended and higher in the sub 100hz area all the way down to 20hz. So we should expect the HD660S to have a lighter cleaner bass, and the HD58x to have a thicker sub bass. But in the end almost nobody heard the production version of the HD58x just yet, so all of this is inference on the recently published graphs. Another difference is the pricing: 149$ for the Hd58x and 499$ for the Hd660S...
2. The HD58x Jubilee name is a blink to the original Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee, which evolved later as the HD600, which later on produced derivatives such as the HD650 and 660S. So the HD580 was in fact the genesis of the 600 series Sennheiser. Therefore the HD58x Jubilee simply borrows its name from the original HD580 and is therefore a true 600 series headphone, do not worry. The latest 600 series headphones, HD660S and HD58x, use 150 ohms drivers instead of 300 ohms drivers used in all other 600 series since the original HD580.
Therefore apart for the sub bass response I expect both headphones (58x and 660S) to sound in a similar way without being identical twins...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #512 of 4,845
I can't tell you the exact day but the first drop closed around the end of April. Currently there are almost 1600 requests for another drop, so that's encouraging. I've heard two separate dates for expected shipping the first in early July (the 6th maybe). The second wave of shipments is scheduled for July 31st. If you haven't already, visit the HD58X Massdrop page and mash that request button.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #513 of 4,845
Thanks guys. I hit the request button. I just read some information online, and watched the head fi YouTube video. According to the video, the 58X will have a bit less low end compared to the 660s, and also have a little brighter treble compared to the 660s. But like you said, that's based on pre production models, so who knows. At this point, based on my sound preferences, it seems the 660s is the way to go. I'll be eagerly awaiting to here people's reviews after they have these cans in hand. I really just want whichever can will sound best with rock n roll.

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #514 of 4,845
Thanks guys. I hit the request button. I just read some information online, and watched the head fi YouTube video. According to the video, the 58X will have a bit less low end compared to the 660s, and also have a little brighter treble compared to the 660s. But like you said, that's based on pre production models, so who knows. At this point, based on my sound preferences, it seems the 660s is the way to go. I'll be eagerly awaiting to here people's reviews after they have these cans in hand. I really just want whichever can will sound best with rock n roll.
Actually it appears that the production model of the HD58x has more bass than the pre-prod model, more bass than the HD660S and more bass than the HD650. It would be more accurate to say that it has more extended bass than all of these other 600 series headphones. Also the production model has corrected the 7khz peak and has therefore a bit less treble than the pre-prod version. The treble of the production version of the HD58x is more in line with the HD660S. Therefore the production version of the HD660S and HD58X have more in common than any other 600 series headphones. The remaining significant difference is in the sub bass extension and the production version of the HD58x beats all other 600 series in this regard, hd660S included. Check out the DIY graphs that have been published a couple of weeks ago based on a production unit of the HD58x. Finally, the whole story should be available to all soon when it will be possible to hear and compare both headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #515 of 4,845
Actually it appears that the production model of the HD58x has more bass than the pre-prod model, more bass than the HD660S and more bass than the HD650. It would be more accurate to say that it has more extended bass than all of these other 600 series headphones. Also the production model has corrected the 7khz peak and has therefore a bit less treble than the pre-prod version. The treble of the production version of the HD58x is more in line with the HD660S. Therefore the production version of the HD660S and HD58X have more in common than any other 600 series headphones. The remaining significant difference is in the sub bass extension and the production version of the HD58x beats all other 600 series in this regard, hd660S included. Check out the DIY graphs that have been published a couple of weeks ago based on a production unit of the HD58x. Finally, the whole story should be available to all soon when it will be possible to hear and compare both headphones.
Sounds about perfect. I'm in, can't really go wrong at that price. Speaking of which, I read that if and when the drop opens again, the price is likely to go up. Thanks for the detailed info. I really appreciate it

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #516 of 4,845
1. The HD58x is not the same headphone as the HD660S. It does not use the same drivers. However, it’s the closest to the HD660S without being the exact same. Both have the same impedance. The drivers are not equal but their technology and design are related and similar. The sound signature is very similar if we take into consideration the recently released graphs of the production version of the HD58x. From around 100hz and above both headphones are quite similar, with raised response around 1khz, dip in the 2-3 kHz region and rise around 7-8 kHz. All of this is quite similar between the two. The bass however on the production version of the HD58x is more extended and higher in the sub 100hz area all the way down to 20hz. So we should expect the HD660S to have a lighter cleaner bass, and the HD58x to have a thicker sub bass. But in the end almost nobody heard the production version of the HD58x just yet, so all of this is inference on the recently published graphs. Another difference is the pricing: 149$ for the Hd58x and 499$ for the Hd660S...
2. The HD58x Jubilee name is a blink to the original Sennheiser HD580 Jubilee, which evolved later as the HD600, which later on produced derivatives such as the HD650 and 660S. So the HD580 was in fact the genesis of the 600 series Sennheiser. Therefore the HD58x Jubilee simply borrows its name from the original HD580 and is therefore a true 600 series headphone, do not worry. The latest 600 series headphones, HD660S and HD58x, use 150 ohms drivers instead of 300 ohms drivers used in all other 600 series since the original HD580.
Therefore apart for the sub bass response I expect both headphones (58x and 660S) to sound in a similar way without being identical twins...
Based on what I heard of the HD660S, sub-bass extension is an improvement. More sub-bass is always an improvement, particularly for open Sennheisers.

Now, we don't know the transient response differences or know of HD58X is infact peakier in treble as graphed. I wish there was at least the impulse response or CSD graph out there.

If it's really minute difference. Dat price!!

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #518 of 4,845
Put not your faith in a machines printed graph. Verily I say unto you, place your faith in the truth of thine own ears. So sayeth the psalm of St. Jude

So god be with you and you ears

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #519 of 4,845
Based on what I heard of the HD660S, sub-bass extension is an improvement. More sub-bass is always an improvement, particularly for open Sennheisers.

Now, we don't know the transient response differences or know of HD58X is infact peakier in treble as graphed. I wish there was at least the impulse response or CSD graph out there.

If it's really minute difference. Dat price!!
Dat price is what I'm thinking to

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #520 of 4,845
Put not your faith in a machines printed graph. Verily I say unto you, place your faith in the truth of thine own ears. So sayeth the psalm of St. Jude
I hear that. Unfortunately, my wallet disagrees. I also use and collect high end / enthusiast JDM fishing equipment. I put an immediate stop to the buy and try method not long ago.

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #521 of 4,845
a little late to the party here but I think it depends on the supporting gear that one has to recommend the HD660S and/or HD58X over the HD650/600/6XX. If you are like me and a few others that have decent/good OTL amps then the HD650/600/6XX might actually be a better sounding headphone but if you don't want to deal with amps/DACs then the HD660S or HD58X is a no-brainer recommendation. With that said I'd still take a HD700 over the HD660S if you want sound stage and imaging and the HD650 if you want what I think are the easiest to listen to for very long period just getting lost in the music.

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #522 of 4,845
HD660S HD700

Yeah, that sucked out upper-mids to that treble spike looks unpleasant.

hd660s-vsw-hd700.png

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #523 of 4,845
No! The 660s is a lower impedance but is not very sensitive and so is really only barely, baaarely easier to drive than the rest of the 6x0 series.

Can't comment on the 58x's driveability

a little late to the party here but I think it depends on the supporting gear that one has to recommend the HD660S and/or HD58X over the HD650/600/6XX. If you are like me and a few others that have decent/good OTL amps then the HD650/600/6XX might actually be a better sounding headphone but if you don't want to deal with amps/DACs then the HD660S or HD58X is a no-brainer recommendation. With that said I'd still take a HD700 over the HD660S if you want sound stage and imaging and the HD650 if you want what I think are the easiest to listen to for very long period just getting lost in the music.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #524 of 4,845
To clarify, the HD660s would differ greatly from the HD58x in having that upper mid peak, and the HD580 has fewer peaks in the high mids and highs than most if not all other Sennheisers. It should be noted that someone who heard it pre-production described it as very dynamic. This could be part of the new driver design. If that is retained, with more overall bass quantity, we will ultimately have a revolutionary set of cans. Also, to clarify a previous statement, the HD58X has more sub bass extension than any open Sennheiser except for its flagship Orpheus of course. Their former open bass champ, the HD518 (which lacks treble detail and has less treble than the HD58x) has more bass quantity between 60 hz up through the low mids, making it boomy yet ultimately lacking sub extension. However, the HD58X does extend further into the sub bass with a more gradual roll off. Meaning, cleaner, better subs, no midrange mud, and better high end. Having 1,600 requests for a new drop after two completed drops already now means the new graph did what? Lure in many who were hoping for the extra bass. Sure a few folks are offended they'd kept the promise of adding more bass and that they tamed a useless treble spike. Fine. The HD600 will give them a brighter, bass light sound they prefer already, for under $200, used.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #525 of 4,845
To clarify, the HD660s would differ greatly from the HD58x in having that upper mid peak, and the HD580 has fewer peaks in the high mids and highs than most if not all other Sennheisers. It should be noted that someone who heard it pre-production described it as very dynamic. This could be part of the new driver design. If that is retained, with more overall bass quantity, we will ultimately have a revolutionary set of cans. Also, to clarify a previous statement, the HD58X has more sub bass extension than any open Sennheiser except for its flagship Orpheus of course. Their former open bass champ, the HD518 (which lacks treble detail and has less treble than the HD58x) has more bass quantity between 60 hz up through the low mids, making it boomy yet ultimately lacking sub extension. However, the HD58X does extend further into the sub bass with a more gradual roll off. Meaning, cleaner, better subs, no midrange mud, and better high end. Having 1,600 requests for a new drop after two completed drops already now means the new graph did what? Lure in many who were hoping for the extra bass. Sure a few folks are offended they'd kept the promise of adding more bass and that they tamed a useless treble spike. Fine. The HD600 will give them a brighter, bass light sound they prefer already, for under $200, used.

To clarify even more, the HD58x doesn’t have any upper mid peak in its production version, as you can see for yourself in the DIY Graphs. That is a change since the pre-production version of the HD58x. In this regard, the HD58x is now quite similar to the HD660S. The main difference left between the two headphones, apart for the price, is the sub bass extension present in the production version of the HD58x, which is more extended than the HD660S. All of this is based on the recently published graphs from DIY.

Further, the HD600 has some kind of upper mid bump in the 3.5khz area, while the HD58x and 660S both have a dip in the 2-3khz area, and thus are less bright in the upper mid area. Moreover, the HD660S and to a certain extend the HD58x have a small rise in the 1khz area, which the HD600 has not. Therefore the HD600 does not sound equal to the HD660S or HD58x in the mids. And the HD600 has less bass extension than the HD58x production version. The HD600’s bass is more comparable but not identical to the HD660S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back