1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Dec 20, 2017.
First

Back
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Next

Last
  1. Assimilator702
    I want my royalty fee on that screen name.

BeatsLovingPlebian likes this.
  2. Assimilator702
    My transaction page says July 15th and I purchased on March 18th. My actual ship date could be a few days early if production is on or slightly ahead of schedule.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  3. BeatsLovingPlebian
    Lol Assimilator, you were undoubtedly my inspiration. It was a hard choice between this and "Unrefined Illiterate Millennial."

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  4. Strung0ut
    Oh jeez, just got an email from Massdrop. Only read the first word of the subject which was “Update...”, got really excited, then proceeded to read the email subject in full. “Update to member profiles”.

Anarion likes this.
  5. DavidA
    The reason I say they are "easier to drive" is due to the fact that most amps output more at lower impedance levels but yes the HD660S is not very sensitive/efficient when compared to many other headphones out there.

6. SilverEars
    Not true. Amps don't output more to 83dB sensitivity, 50 ohm impedance HE-6. Which is not easier to drive than 300 ohms Sennheiser, which is much much easier to drive.

Also, the 150 ohms doesn't mean it's easier to drive than the 300 ohms siblings either. You're probably just hearing differences from your OTL amps.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. DavidA
    Worded it incorrectly: most amps output more at lower impedance, from Schiit Lyr3
    Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 9.0W RMS per channel
    Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 6.0W RMS per channel (7.5W at <1% THD typical, one channel driven)
    Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 4.0W RMS per channel
    Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 900mW RMS per channel
    Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 450mW RMS per channel
    What I'm saying is the Lyr3 probably is outputting somewhere around 2W at 150ohms but only 0.9W at 300ohms so if you connect the 150ohm HD660S or HD58X the Lyr3 will have more headroom versus the HD650 with this amp and what I would consider "easier to drive". The sensitivity/efficiency along with impedance go together in how I consider a headphone easy or hard to drive. As you noted the HE-6 is low impedance but also very low sensitivity/efficiency so I don't consider it "easy to drive" which is similar to my HE560, low impedance and low sensitivity, also a bit harder to drive properly.

Assimilator702 and trellus like this.
  8. WilliamLeonhart
    IME low sensitivity is more of a b!tch than impedance... I've met a lot of people who bought the AKG 7-series models because they look nice and "with only 56 ohm" wouldn't be hard to drive. Well when I started this hobby those were the hardest to amp "properly". Even some amps that could drive my old 600-ohm HD540 to full volume and quite good quality would still leave the AKG sounding too thin and harsh.

Tuneslover, DavidA and trellus like this.
  9. Tuneslover
    I'm in complete agreement, I'm kinda of puzzled by how difficult my AKG K7XX are to drive considering the low impedance of these headphones. I need to push the volume knob surprisingly high to get them to sing.

10. Mark Up
    Yeah, I pretty much have been saying that right along. The "high end peak" or "upper mid peak" is not in the production version. I'd meant the pre-production version having that peak. The HD600 does have more of a upper mid bump that can give it a harder sound on some songs in that area. It sounds like we agree that those in places like MassDrop upset at the sonic profile really do want the HD660s type sound. They were hoping this would be that for several times less retail. That still, for practical reasons, would make no sense. Sennhesier won't build a headphone for far less that is that much like an existing model. The extra bass makes total sense.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Assimilator702 likes this.
  11. PeteMtl
    I agree. Sennheiser would not shoot itself in the foot. Nevertheless, in my mind, after looking at the graphs of the production model of the HD58x, and without having had the opportunity of listening to them yet, I consider the HD58x to a very close relative to the HD660S, with a higher and more extended bass. The HD660S on the other hand probably has a cleaner bass. The other differences are the pricing and channel of distribution. This way Sennheiser is not killing out the HD660S from its main channel of buyers/retailers.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Assimilator702 and Mark Up like this.
  12. Anarion
    I'm starting to wonder whether or not they plan to post the info about the production model before they start shipping... Even my my estimated shipping day is less than one month away and it's less for those who joined in the first drop.

Assimilator702 and Tuneslover like this.
  13. Patrick1958
    Only 19 days left of release/shipping and still don't know final specs (joined the first drop at the beginning so should have a serie numbered item).
    Very curious on how it sounds compared to the Sennheiser HD599/650/660s. The 660s is my favorite, gets the most headtime (for the moment)

14. Tuneslover
    Lips are wired shut but hopefully not much longer.

15. Assimilator702
    HA! I would need a royalty on that name also since according to Mottorad I'm guilty of being an illiterate millennial. Funny since since I'm no where near a millennial and the last I checked my vocabulary is several notches above minimal literacy. I make a few typos and I'm illiterate. Sorry for not making...."arguing with bafoons on the internet"..... a priority and failing to refining my comments to a more scholarly level.

Douche......

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    TheRH, Tuneslover and Soham Sengupta like this.
First

Back
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46
Next

Last