Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Aug 7, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #3,946 of 4,845
I got my XLR cable in today and couldn't wait to try it out. Although I am watching an afternoon ball game (Tor vs TB), I hooked them up to my LCX. Very nice sound.

Although I bought these used, they are the best $200.00 headphones I have ever owned. They must be a Karmic thank you from the audio gods for all the overpriced crap I have bought over the years.:gs1000smile:

Shane D

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #3,948 of 4,845
I got my 58X on the first run and still think for the money these are a huge bargain .

In my opinion they fit nicely in the 6 series lineup and it does not surprise me that some like them better than the more established model's or more expensive ones .

I do think if this is your first 6 series you should still give a listen to the 600 or 650 and even the 660s although close in sound signiture to the 58X are a more refined Headphone but I'll leave it up to you if it's worth the huge amount they cost.

I think Sennheiser making these and the 6XXs available made it possible for the Masse's to get fantastic sound on although not cheap but a much more reasonable price .

Now Massdrop needs to offer an HD-8XXs

Aug 14, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #3,950 of 4,845
I got my 58X on the first run and still think for the money these are a huge bargain .

In my opinion they fit nicely in the 6 series lineup and it does not surprise me that some like them better than the more established model's or more expensive ones .

I do think if this is your first 6 series you should still give a listen to the 600 or 650 and even the 660s although close in sound signiture to the 58X are a more refined Headphone but I'll leave it up to you if it's worth the huge amount they cost.

I think Sennheiser making these and the 6XXs available made it possible for the Masse's to get fantastic sound on although not cheap but a much more reasonable price .

I recently picked up the HD 58x and must admit I like them better than my 600's. I'm a big fan of Sennheiser and the HD 580 was one of my first purchases, and I see from your signature you have 580's as well; they had the same driver as the 600 and were a real bargain for me at the time when the 600 was not affordable.

Drop just sent me an announcement for SONY WH-1000XM3 & SENNHEISER HD 6XX BUNDLE they will be selling on Aug 19 for $400 which will be hard to resist on two top notch products....I must resist!

I was fortunate enough to get the HD800 for $899 3yrs ago when focus camera was closing them out, and there is good reason everyone compares most HPs to them, they just perform so well on so many levels IMO. It would be great if Drop would make an HD-8xx.

Aug 14, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #3,951 of 4,845
I recently picked up the HD 58x and must admit I like them better than my 600's. I'm a big fan of Sennheiser and the HD 580 was one of my first purchases, and I see from your signature you have 580's as well; they had the same driver as the 600 and were a real bargain for me at the time when the 600 was not affordable.

Drop just sent me an announcement for SONY WH-1000XM3 & SENNHEISER HD 6XX BUNDLE they will be selling on Aug 19 for $400 which will be hard to resist on two top notch products....I must resist!

I was fortunate enough to get the HD800 for $899 3yrs ago when focus camera was closing them out, and there is good reason everyone compares most HPs to them, they just perform so well on so many levels IMO. It would be great if Drop would make an HD-8xx.

I was floored by the HD-800 when they were first released and still think the original is the one I want but I've yet to hear the 800s .
When I get a new Album first I listen to it on the 600 then go straight through all my 6 series Headphones until I find the one that I like best .

I'm primed and ready for the August 30th release of the new Tool Album.

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #3,952 of 4,845
Ok so I got my 599 for 90$ prime day and my friend lent me his 58x recently bought for 160$. After testing them back to back with 599 I think 58x share more similarities with HD5-series than HD6-series. They simply lack resolution, scalability and refnment of 650. In fact 599 are even better than 58x in some aspects like soundstage, treble, comfort. Detail retrieval, mids and bass are basically the same, with 58x having a little more rumble, while vocals are somewhat reccessed. I like 58x intimacy for some music, but I prefer more open holographic space and width which is given in 599 as well as more sparkly highs. Jazz and classical are the best genres for Jubilless while 599 are overall more enjoyable with EDM, pop, movies. Both great for gaming, imaging is basically on par, with maybe tiny bit better accuracy in 58x within closed-in stage. I feel Axel Graal took 599 drivers, increased their impedance, retunned them with similar tonality to 660s, and put them in HD6 housing mascarading as another 6-variant. Both 599 and 58x are great on their own though, I just don't like the idea sennheiser/massdrop are trying to sell something that actually isn't what it appeares to be. I don't understand why people putting them in the same league with 600, 650 or even 660? HD6 will not shine without proper and more expensive amping, while 58x and 599 do with E10k, dragonfly, etc.

comfort / build quality differences:
58x have stronger plastics, but cheaper molding and paint job resulting in overall less appealing look and feel than 599
599 pads are way softer and more comfortable than 58x being stiffer and more noticable while wearing
58x much better option for modding and replacing every part of the headphone, while in 599 the only thing that can be replaced are pads
Surprisingly clamp force in both of these is almost identical right out of the box
599 have garbage cable rough unpleasant to touch, 58x much better quality

I can only imagine disputes wheter it would be S or non-S variant :wink: But I don't think 8XX is ever gonna happen, at least in near future. Kind of gone from the market HD700 is more likely to appear as a massdrop reincarnation and at much better price.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #3,953 of 4,845
Ok so I got my 599 for 90$ prime day and my friend borrowed me his recently bought 58x for a few days. After testing them back to back with 599 I think 58x share more similarities with HD5-series than HD6-series. They simply lack resolution, scalability and refnment of 650. In fact 599 are even better than 58x in some aspects like soundstage, treble, comfort. Detail retrieval, mids and bass are basically the same, with 58x having a little more rumble, while vocals are somewhat reccessed. I like 58x intimacy for some music, but I prefer more open holographic space and width which is given in 599 as well as more sparkly highs. Jazz and classical are the best genres for Jubilless while 599 are overall more enjoyable with EDM, pop, movies. Both great for gaming, imaging is basically on par, with maybe tiny bit better accuracy in 58x because of closed-in stage. I feel Axel Graal took 599 drivers, increased their impedance, retunned them with similar tonality to 660s, and put them in HD6 housing mascarading as another 6-variant. Both 599 and 58x are great on their own though, I just don't like the idea sennheiser/massdrop are trying to sell something that actually isn't what it appeares to be. I don't understand why people putting them in the same league with 600, 650 or even 660? HD6 will not shine without proper and more expensive amping, while 58x and 599 do with E10k, dragonfly, etc.

comfort / build quality differences:
58x have stronger plastics, but cheaper molding and paint job resulting in overall less appealing look and feel than 599
599 pads are way softer and more comfortable than 58x being stiffer and more noticable while wearing
58x much better option for modding and replacing every part of the headphone, while in 599 the only thing that can be replaced are pads
Surprisingly clamp force in both of these is almost identical right out of the box

What DAC/AMP are you using?

Aug 15, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #3,954 of 4,845
FiiO K3 and realtek ALC892 on motherboard

Both 58x and 599 are fine but somewhat lacking with my S9 smarthpone. They shine plugged to PC or K3. Interestingly given the rather big difference in impedence their driveability is almost identical. I like to listen rather loud just a few notches below the level of hurting my ears. HD58x at 30-40% and HD599 at 40-50% volume.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #3,957 of 4,845
Hi guys,

I'm going to order HD58x or HD6xx tomorrow (still don't know which one :))
I will need 3m long cable. Which one to buy and where?

Marantz PM 6004 + HRT Music Streamer II
That's my stereo amp + dac. Good enough or I need dedicated amp for headphones?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #3,959 of 4,845
Hi guys,

I'm going to order HD58x or HD6xx tomorrow (still don't know which one :))
I will need 3m long cable. Which one to buy and where?

Marantz PM 6004 + HRT Music Streamer II
That's my stereo amp + amp. Good enough or I need dedicated amp for headphones?

Thanks!

I own both the HD6xx and the HD58x and I don’t regret buying both headphones. One is warmer and more romantic, better with vocals, jazz, etc. And the other has a deeper bass, more dynamic sound , better for lounge, deep house, electro music. The HD58x may be used with my portable gears (Apple iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro) without the need for an external amp (just using the Apple Lightning dongle or mini-plug headphone jack). The HD6xx is better suited in the lounge with a DAC/amp like my Cheap but ok sounding O2 amp. The Dragonfly Red or Cobalt may also be enough to drive the HD6xx. I must also note that I also own the HD600 which don’t get much listening time these days, although they are good headphones. And I also own the Hifiman HE400i which get a lot of listening time in the lounge these days, more than my HD6xx. I really love their sound, although quite similar to the HD6 family if headphones in its sound (although a planar design).
For the 3m cable I may strongly suggest the genuine HD650 Sennheiser cable available from Sennheiser at about 20$, with regular 1/4 inch ending. Best cable for the HD6xx in my opinion. You may also buy the HD600 cable also available from Sennheiser at about the same price, but with a standard mini plug end (3.5mm) instead. Both cables are available with optional adapters (3.5mm to 1/4 inch and vice versa). Hope it helps.

Aug 29, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #3,960 of 4,845
I own both the HD6xx and the HD58x and I don’t regret buying both headphones. One is warmer and more romantic, better with vocals, jazz, etc. And the other has a deeper bass, more dynamic sound , better for lounge, deep house, electro music. The HD58x may be used with my portable gears (Apple iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro) without the need for an external amp (just using the Apple Lightning dongle or mini-plug headphone jack). The HD6xx is better suited in the lounge with a DAC/amp like my Cheap but ok sounding O2 amp. The Dragonfly Red or Cobalt may also be enough to drive the HD6xx. I must also note that I also own the HD600 which don’t get much listening time these days, although they are good headphones. And I also own the Hifiman HE400i which get a lot of listening time in the lounge these days, more than my HD6xx. I really love their sound, although quite similar to the HD6 family if headphones in its sound (although a planar design).
For the 3m cable I may strongly suggest the genuine HD650 Sennheiser cable available from Sennheiser at about 20$, with regular 1/4 inch ending. Best cable for the HD6xx in my opinion. You may also buy the HD600 cable also available from Sennheiser at about the same price, but with a standard mini plug end (3.5mm) instead. Both cables are available with optional adapters (3.5mm to 1/4 inch and vice versa). Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply!

Few things worries me:
1. Will my Marantz + Dac be good enough for HD6xx
- I don't have money for dedicated amp
2. Bass on HD6xx
- I had HD598 and they were lacking bass
- I'm not bass head but on HD589 bass had no impact at all
- so bass on HD6xx worries me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back