Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jan 6, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #3,166 of 4,845
You turned down the pre-gain so it's not clipping? The EQ is based around a V shaped response, the Harmon Curve, which is based on what you would hear from monitors in a high end recording studio. The standard for headphone tuning (i.e. any time a graph says "compensated response") for many decades has been the diffuse field curve, Arguably an inferior and unrealistic way to measure response. Whether you like that or not is preference tho.

I would set a second EQ preset in EQ APO/ Peace that is the same overall volume as your tuned EQ, that way you can A/B them without having to adjust the volume.

On a side note, I had to turn pregain down to -7db to avoid clipping on some tracks, even tho the settings from oratory1990 say it should be -5.7db.
I found that setting a high shelf filter somewhere between 1khz and 3khz with a -1db to -2db pad helps with the shrillness and dropping the original low shelf filter from 6db to 4 or 5db is easier to listen to.
It's fun to play around with and see what sounds good. Even without a tuned EQ, I like to use a -3.5db pad on pregain to avoid clipping from loud tracks, and I like to use a highpass and lowpass (.8Q) on either end to remove any ultrasonic or subsonic noise.

Could you post your peace preset file obyo Google drive or Dropbox. Be nice to compare.
Thanks

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #3,168 of 4,845
HD58X has nowhere near the subbass impact of TH-X00PH, but it is tighter and cleaner (though colder) sounding. And that is in comparison to a modded TH-X00, a stock TH-X00 is more muffled and conjested sounding with a noticeable lack in instrument separation in comparison. Instead of TH-X00 I would recommend Modhouse Argon Mk3... won't quite have the subbass impact of the TH-X00, but still very impactfull with more midbass punch and is better in every way to a TH-X00 other than subbass impact. Better subbass extension with planar detail and precision throughout the entire range. Highs are more relaxed, but no less detailed, and mids are very similar in presentation though better detailed and not as full sounding.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #3,169 of 4,845
Could you post your peace preset file obyo Google drive or Dropbox. Be nice to compare.
Thanks

Your wish is my command
58X modified EQ preset
eq apo screenshot.jpg

So I used the Oratory1990 preset but dropped the first filter by 2dB, added a -1.3dB high shelf at 1500hz, and then a low pass at 19khz with .8Q factor, and 6hz high pass .8Q

Also found that changing the 200hz notch filter to something like -1db keeps more of the original warmth and punch

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #3,171 of 4,845
I'm confused, these are fantastic without any EQ applied.
They're a totally different beast with some EQ.
Idk why so many people have an aversion to it.

Hundreds of EQs were used in the making of just about any major recording and they are used throughout the recording industry to get flat response from PAs and studio monitors. There is no perfect driver/speaker but with EQ and measurements you can make it close to perfect.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #3,173 of 4,845
Interesting.
I have to laugh at the people doing the felt mods and whatnot, just the slightest bit of EQ would be vastly more effective. Not to mention you don't risk breaking anything and you can do a real A/B test to see if you like it

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #3,174 of 4,845
I have to laugh at the people doing the felt mods and whatnot, just the slightest bit of EQ would be vastly more effective. Not to mention you don't risk breaking anything and you can do a real A/B test to see if you like it

Some people just enjoy tweaking. Personally, I'm too clumsy and afraid of f*cking up my purchase to do any modding. The only thing I did with these was to remove the outer foam and I like how it opens up the soundstage.

Reversible, no-tools-required mods are the extent of my modding.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #3,175 of 4,845
Some people just enjoy tweaking. Personally, I'm too clumsy and afraid of f*cking up my purchase to do any modding. The only thing I did with these was to remove the outer foam and I like how it opens up the soundstage.

Reversible, no-tools-required mods are the extent of my modding.
If you say so, but I'm not going to mess with the foam. I'd rather keep dust out of the driver.

Response directly from Sennheiser regarding the "foam mod" ;

"Though the HD 660 S and the HD 58X Jubilee are both dynamic driver designs made from our specially developed plastic, the same impedance ratings, and constructed in the same Ireland factory, they do not share a driver, and are in fact differently produced designs.
The difference may not be visible to the naked eye, but the drivers do have different performance characteristics are measurable. The impact of the foam we use is acoustically minimal... the rear foam backing is there for aesthetics, and also it improved durability for the driver in drop-tests (since the driver is mounted differently than the HD 660 S and the models that came before it). The foam between the driver and the open back does not both “reinforce bass” (reflect back bass) or “absorb treble” as Zeos Reviews suggests in the above video; Zeos Reviews even noted that the two headphones still sound different to him at the 12 minute mark of the video posted above."

I trust the guys with the multi million dollar labs.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #3,176 of 4,845
For me they just sound much better with EQ the best song to test this for me is Dave Brubeck - Take Five Live at Carnegie Hall (must be at Carnegie ).

At the opening Drum the cymbal is much more realistic, clear and lively, turning on and off the EQ really makes you noticed how the high end feels more present and crispy without losing anything really.

You also get a cleaner punchier bass response, increasing the sub-bass but lowering the 200hz frequencies maybe make the headphone feels cleaner and less muddy, I just like this EQ.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #3,177 of 4,845
For me they just sound much better with EQ the best song to test this for me is Dave Brubeck - Take Five Live at Carnegie Hall (must be at Carnegie ).

At the opening Drum the cymbal is much more realistic, clear and lively, turning on and off the EQ really makes you noticed how the high end feels more present and crispy without losing anything really.

You also get a cleaner punchier bass response, increasing the sub-bass but lowering the 200hz frequencies maybe make the headphone feels cleaner and less muddy, I just like this EQ.

One of my all time favorite songs m8! I usually just play the studio track but i'll have to see about this live recording.

Looking at the raw response curve (bottom) with the EQ applied, you can get an idea of what you might want to modify. I think with the stock EQ the headphones sound overly bright and can be irritating so I pulled down the whole high end hump. I also think the drastic +6dB sub bass boost muddies up the sound so I changed it to +4. Pulling up the 200hz notch from -3.4 to -1dB gives more fullness to the sound IMO, YMMV

58x graugh.PNG

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #3,179 of 4,845
I've always been on the fence with digital eq. Are you guys using program based eq's? If so , do any of you know of any android app eq's that are of good quality? I've tried a few but they seem to hurt the SQ.
Thanks!

I'm just on windows right now. EQ APO is pretty highly regarded tho, as long as you aren't clipping the EQ shouldn't degrade the audio quality. It's as good or better than the EQs used in recording software. It's lightyears cleaner and more accurate than an analog EQ box.
I doubt you will find a mobile EQ that lets you choose filter type, frequency, Q factor, and precise dB values but I found this thread

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/parametric-equalizer-for-android.882681/

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #3,180 of 4,845
Can someone tell me what the model number, and cable name is for the headphones that has the 1/4" (6.3mm) plug from Sennheiser? I want to use the stock cable, not the one with 3.5mm plug.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back