Parametric Equalizer for Android
Jun 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

huilun02

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for an Android app that has parametric equalizer, either system wide or a music player.

But I'm having trouble finding a solution because I need to satisfy the following:
  • At last 8 bands, adjustable frequency
  • Playback formats: MP3, AAC, M4A
Tried a few music players already but they can't do all the above. The closest I got was ArmAmp Music Player but to set the curve it asks for bandwidth in Hz instead of standard Q factor or octaves. Its bizarre and I can't find a way to convert to Hz.

Currently looking at USB Audio Player but it says "An in-app purchase of around 1.99 euro is needed for the advanced parametric EQ from effect vendor ToneBoosters and around 3.29 euro for MorphIt" I don't want to commit before knowing it can do what I want. Also my phone is rooted with Magisk. I can use Viper4Android but it does not appear to allow adjustment of frequency in equalizer.

My headset is the SHP9500S hooked up to an SMSL B1 Bluetooth audio receiver which supports aptX LL and the combo works great. Its always with the SMSL B1 because it happens to be my favorite DAC and I want a consistent listening experience (despite it being Bluetooth, I know) On PC I have Equalizer APO which is super easy to use, but I dont stay within range of the PC transmitter all the time. The SMSL B1 is small and has an internal battery so I can actually take it away with me along with my phone as the playback device.

Do shout out if you know of the app I'm looking for. Thanks!

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 28
There is a gain slider, and yes all bands can be manually set. You can save presets. The sliders are very powerful, reducing or augmenting each band by quite a few db, not sure how many specifically.

Downloaded the trial and NOPE it does not allow me to manually set the frequency. Doesn't even show the gain value, let alone the setting for curve gradient. Seems to be made for amateurs who think they are good at tuning audio by just blindly raising the preset bands...

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 28
Now I see what you're saying. No, it is not like the eq in a daw. You cannot set the freq or q. It is an 8 band (I believe). In all "band" eqs, the band's themselves, meaning the frequencies they modify, are set. I am not aware of any android app that gives you control over freq and q. Sorry for the confusion. Power amp however is great, I've never used anything else after I bought it years ago. It does allow you to sculpt the sound in a meaningful way, esp if you're simply trying to get rid of a pesky iem peak

Jun 23, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #7 of 28
Now I see what you're saying. No, it is not like the eq in a daw. You cannot set the freq or q. It is an 8 band (I believe). In all "band" eqs, the band's themselves, meaning the frequencies they modify, are set. I am not aware of any android app that gives you control over freq and q. Sorry for the confusion. Power amp however is great, I've never used anything else after I bought it years ago. It does allow you to sculpt the sound in a meaningful way, esp if you're simply trying to get rid of a pesky iem peak

Don't need anything close to a composition DAW per se. Just want to set an EQ profile with greater precision to normalize the flaws in sound profile of my SHP9500S.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 28
Hi there,
Not at all an expert in this, but I just wanted to let you know that the ToneBooster parametric EQ in UAPP does allow the frequency of each slider to be set. However, there are only six sliders. You used to be able to add sliders, but it doesn't seem like you can anymore. Too bad. The plugin is for purchase, but when opened there's a dialog that states, "Without purchase, the EQ will only be applied for 60 seconds at each playback;" which makes it look like you can at least sample it a few times before making a purchase. The worst part, though, is that the interface is very small and the layout makes it difficult to use/see, at least in the trial version. The size used to not be a problem (though the layout was always weird), so I wouldn't be surprised if it was fixed in a future update.

The MorphIt plugin is designed to "morph" specific supported headphones into other specific supported headphones (E.G., to make your SHP9500 sound like the HD 650), or "generic hifi," "generic commute," "generic earbuds," "generic flat eardrum," "generic studio reference," or "generic studio speaker." Your headphones are on the supported list. And again, it's for purchase, but this one can be sampled for 90 seconds per playback.

I've not extensively experimented with either plugin and I don't know that my ear is good enough to really discern whether either is very good at what it does.

Hope this helps some!

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 28
Hi there,
Not at all an expert in this, but I just wanted to let you know that the ToneBooster parametric EQ in UAPP does allow the frequency of each slider to be set. However, there are only six sliders. You used to be able to add sliders, but it doesn't seem like you can anymore. Too bad. The plugin is for purchase, but when opened there's a dialog that states, "Without purchase, the EQ will only be applied for 60 seconds at each playback;" which makes it look like you can at least sample it a few times before making a purchase. The worst part, though, is that the interface is very small and the layout makes it difficult to use/see, at least in the trial version. The size used to not be a problem (though the layout was always weird), so I wouldn't be surprised if it was fixed in a future update.

The MorphIt plugin is designed to "morph" specific supported headphones into other specific supported headphones (E.G., to make your SHP9500 sound like the HD 650), or "generic hifi," "generic commute," "generic earbuds," "generic flat eardrum," "generic studio reference," or "generic studio speaker." Your headphones are on the supported list. And again, it's for purchase, but this one can be sampled for 90 seconds per playback.

I've not extensively experimented with either plugin and I don't know that my ear is good enough to really discern whether either is very good at what it does.

Hope this helps some!

Just bought it with MorphIt and parametric EQ and wow... why isn't this the de facto music player recommended by the forum?
6 bands adjustment will suffice. But the MorphIt function allows for effective headset hunting without risking lots of $, as long as I have a set thats already on the list. Thats dope.
I don't think there is any other music app that can even comes close...

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 28
Cool! Glad it looks like it'll work for you! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think my one (very minor) complaint about UAPP is that they update it a lot and often it seems like they break something as they fix something else. The good news is that they seem very attentive and so whatever they break is usually fixed by the next update. It seems like they update sometimes as much as once a week.
In general I find it to be a very good app.

I'm glad I could help!

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #12 of 28
Cool! Glad it looks like it'll work for you! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think my one (very minor) complaint about UAPP is that they update it a lot and often it seems like they break something as they fix something else. The good news is that they seem very attentive and so whatever they break is usually fixed by the next update. It seems like they update sometimes as much as once a week.
In general I find it to be a very good app.

I'm glad I could help!

Thats great support. The cost of the app is even more justified.
Best part is I'm using an OnePlus 3T and UAPP allows me to bypass Android resampling to use the raw capability of the DAC. Before even touching any settings I can already observe clearer playback quality :)

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #13 of 28
I'm looking for an Android app that has parametric equalizer, either system wide or a music player.

But I'm having trouble finding a solution because I need to satisfy the following:
  • At last 8 bands, adjustable frequency
  • Playback formats: MP3, AAC, M4A
Tried a few music players already but they can't do all the above. The closest I got was ArmAmp Music Player but to set the curve it asks for bandwidth in Hz instead of standard Q factor or octaves. Its bizarre and I can't find a way to convert to Hz.

Neutron Music Player has options for curve type (peak, low shelf, high shelf, etc), Q factor, and gain.

Jun 25, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #15 of 28
Wow it supports 30 bands in the equalizer. It has mad customization options. Guess there isn't a need for DAPs anymore :beyersmile:

Well that depends. As long as the smartphone can deliver a very clean 15mW+15mW, then for IEMs particularly those that have 105dB/1mW or higher sensitivity, no need for a DAP. Some headphones like the foldable closed backs with higher efficiency can still benefit from the 100mW+100mW or so out of DAPs. Usage in a home audio environment with HiFiMan's dock or Fiio's dock stand also makes some DAPs easier to use in and out of the home.

Although in my case since I'm too cheap to buy a DAP (and I only get phones that my brother used for a couple of years or we get a Buy 1, Take 1 for T-Mobile), I use my smartphone with IEMs even for stationary listening outside my own home, and then use it as a music server via USB OTG. It just sucks that my Note 3 got stolen because I can't find a custom fit sync dock for my Note 4, S7 Edge, and S9 Plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back