Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 20, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #2,236 of 4,845
So... I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of those. Was itching for a new pair of cans for home use to complement my MSR7. Initially I wanted to get other headphones, and I was mainly looking at planars, but these picqued my interest and, after Zeos' video, I made the impulse buy. Even had to borrow some money at the moment. Now I hope customs won't screw me over TOO hard, or else I'm in trouble. :p

Main reason I went for these instead of the other cans I was looking at is the power requirements. My only amp for now is a Fiio Q1 (1st gen), which is admirably powering everything I've tried with it. It even brought an old crappy pair of AKG K514 MKII back to life somewhat, and these pieces of crap have a sensitivity of 92 or 93dB/mW (107dB/V), so t50rp levels but lower impedence. But as good as it is for what it is, it's not enough for the likes of Fostex or Hifiman and I can't upgrade right now. So I have to ask, do you guys think it'll do the 58x justice? I mean, it's not gonna be alone forever, I'll upgrade, I just want it to do the job until such time comes.

PS : I also always wanted to get a Sennheiser pair but was reluctant to do so. But if I don't get screwed over by Greece's customs, the 140€ I paid is a steal.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #2,237 of 4,845
I'm enjoying reading the comparisons of HD58x to HD6xx/HD650. I'm very skeptical about nearly all the impressions as listening is so subjective and our hearing so easily and widely influenced by preconceived ideas, expectations. My impression is it's very difficult for listeners to relinquish that HD58x is only 1/2 cost of the HD650 and therefore must not be as resolving. Or the HD650 is special to them, and therefore whatever iteration of the HD6xx/HD58x design is released, will never compare to the resolving nature or effortless sound of HD650.

Or maybe HD650 really is that much better.

Wonder how many HD58x owners new to Sennheiser will be tempted to buy the HD6xx.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #2,238 of 4,845
I'm enjoying reading the comparisons of HD58x to HD6xx/HD650. I'm very skeptical about nearly all the impressions as listening is so subjective and our hearing so easily and widely influenced by preconceived ideas, expectations. My impression is it's very difficult for listeners to relinquish that HD58x is only 1/2 cost of the HD650 and therefore must not be as resolving. Or the HD650 is special to them, and therefore whatever iteration of the HD6xx/HD58x design is released, will never compare to the resolving nature or effortless sound of HD650.

Wonder how many HD58x owners new to Sennheiser will be tempted to buy the HD6xx.
I have the HD58X, HD650, HD6XX and have owned a HD600 and heard the HD660S many times, the HD58X is great for the price but its not without faults (some grain in the treble, more than the other HD6 series) but many will think they are better due to the lower price and easy to drive nature where the HD650/6xx really should be driven with an OTL amp to get the most out of them.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #2,239 of 4,845

IMO, the HD6XX/650 is better in every way except bass. But that’s of course in part because of my preferences in sound signature.

That aside, it would make sense that the HD58X is technically inferior to the HD660S at least, as Sennheiser hardly would shoot down their top headphone in the HD6 range with a headphone at one third the cost? I have the HD6XX, HD58X, but not HD660S, so I can’t really comment on the HD660S sound myself, but it kind of makes sense to me.

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #2,240 of 4,845
I have the HD58X, HD650, HD6XX and have owned a HD600 and heard the HD660S many times, the HD58X is great for the price but its not without faults (some grain in the treble, more than the other HD6 series) but many will think they are better due to the lower price and easy to drive nature where the HD650/6xx really should be driven with an OTL amp to get the most out of them.

That and many don't like their treble that smooth. And others will think HD6xx are better cause it has a 6 and cost more $$$. Good comparison I think is that I prefer AD900x to the AD1000x, in-spite of the AD900x flaws.

But will be interested to see how many will jump for the HD6xx on the next drop based on impressions like yours.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,241 of 4,845
So... I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of those. Was itching for a new pair of cans for home use to complement my MSR7. Initially I wanted to get other headphones, and I was mainly looking at planars, but these picqued my interest and, after Zeos' video, I made the impulse buy. Even had to borrow some money at the moment. Now I hope customs won't screw me over TOO hard, or else I'm in trouble. :p

Main reason I went for these instead of the other cans I was looking at is the power requirements. My only amp for now is a Fiio Q1 (1st gen), which is admirably powering everything I've tried with it. It even brought an old crappy pair of AKG K514 MKII back to life somewhat, and these pieces of crap have a sensitivity of 92 or 93dB/mW (107dB/V), so t50rp levels but lower impedence. But as good as it is for what it is, it's not enough for the likes of Fostex or Hifiman and I can't upgrade right now. So I have to ask, do you guys think it'll do the 58x justice? I mean, it's not gonna be alone forever, I'll upgrade, I just want it to do the job until such time comes.

PS : I also always wanted to get a Sennheiser pair but was reluctant to do so. But if I don't get screwed over by Greece's customs, the 140€ I paid is a steal.

OH hey tolis, hahaha you came from the SHP9500 thread to here. Nice decision. My set didn't arrive yet, they are lost somewhere in a bizarre place in Paraguay so I can't say of the upgrade will be worth but this thread is very divided. I see people preferring the HD58X to hd800 others saying the HD6XX or even akg 712 are better so I think you need to listen to yourself and feel the waters.

I'm just here watching the fire burn and when they arrive (if ever) ill try to give my opinion and compare them to the SHP9500.

My opinion not owning them yet, Sennheiser knows how to do headphones, even if the HD58X isn't equal to the Hd660 you can see that the jubilee follows its base signature a little. I think they are equal to the HD6XX and its a question of preference. I think the Hd58x are great dynamic cans that can do a decent job to the point that you need to either get a very good planar with unique sound compared to dynamics or a very expensive dynamic for a true upgrade. I think buying other mid-fi dynamic cans will be more a side grade with different tastes them a real technical and more refined superior sound upgrade

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #2,242 of 4,845
OH hey tolis, hahaha you came from the SHP9500 thread to here. Nice decision. My set didn't arrive yet, they are lost somewhere in a bizarre place in Paraguay so I can't say of the upgrade will be worth but this thread is very divided. I see people preferring the HD58X to hd800 others saying the HD6XX or even akg 712 are better so I think you need to listen to yourself and feel the waters.

I'm just here watching the fire burn and when they arrive (if ever) ill try to give my opinion and compare them to the SHP9500.

My opinion not owning them yet, Sennheiser knows how to do headphones, even if the HD58X isn't equal to the Hd660 you can see that the jubilee follows its base signature a little. I think they are equal to the HD6XX and its a question of preference. I think the Hd58x are great dynamic cans that can do a decent job to the point that you need to either get a very good planar with unique sound compared to dynamics or a very expensive dynamic for a true upgrade. I think buying other mid-fi dynamic cans will be more a side grade with different tastes them a real technical and more refined superior sound upgrade
Hey buddy! How are you? :)

Yeah, decided to skip the SHP9500. Too much trouble to get them, so decided I'd hold out and go for something better. I would have waited more (or rather should have, I postponed other stuff to get the 58x), but the drop was ending so I bit and now I hope for the best. :p

Maybe one day, if Philips get their crap together and release a successor to the SHP9500 or something similar, I'll buy their stuff. But for now, the SHP9500 is discontinued, the X2 that I'd probably like a lot has horror stories attached to its manufacturing issues (changes in build quality, glued pads, all when the move to Gibson was made) and also seems to have quite a bit of distortion, and anything else I'd really like to own was quite a bit more expensive than those. So I figured I should give Sennheisers a try. I mean, like 90% of people in the hobby like the HD6 line or recommend them, so they won't be bad for sure. Maybe they won't be my cup of tea, but I doubt it from the descriptions of owners and from the FR graphs I've seen on Massdrop. So we'll see. I hope mine don't get stuck too, but for now the shipment is on track and should be here early next week. Here's to hoping they are.

I may be sacrilegious, but you mentioned the SHP9500 and got me thinking... What effect would adding magnets to the back of the 58x drivers have? I mean, the magnets are exposed and maybe cheaper/weaker magnets is one of the ways Sennheiser differentiated them from the 660s, I dunno. Maybe I'm being stupid, but the thought did pop into my mind...

Sep 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #2,243 of 4,845
Hey buddy! How are you? :)

Yeah, decided to skip the SHP9500. Too much trouble to get them, so decided I'd hold out and go for something better. I would have waited more (or rather should have, I postponed other stuff to get the 58x), but the drop was ending so I bit and now I hope for the best. :p

Maybe one day, if Philips get their crap together and release a successor to the SHP9500 or something similar, I'll buy their stuff. But for now, the SHP9500 is discontinued, the X2 that I'd probably like a lot has horror stories attached to its manufacturing issues (changes in build quality, glued pads, all when the move to Gibson was made) and also seems to have quite a bit of distortion, and anything else I'd really like to own was quite a bit more expensive than those. So I figured I should give Sennheisers a try. I mean, like 90% of people in the hobby like the HD6 line or recommend them, so they won't be bad for sure. Maybe they won't be my cup of tea, but I doubt it from the descriptions of owners and from the FR graphs I've seen on Massdrop. So we'll see. I hope mine don't get stuck too, but for now the shipment is on track and should be here early next week. Here's to hoping they are.

I may be sacrilegious, but you mentioned the SHP9500 and got me thinking... What effect would adding magnets to the back of the 58x drivers have? I mean, the magnets are exposed and maybe cheaper/weaker magnets is one of the ways Sennheiser differentiated them from the 660s, I dunno. Maybe I'm being stupid, but the thought did pop into my mind...

Well maybe it will improve them. I don't know how the magnet mod works I never joined the mod world with the SP9500. Now that I own the HD58X I think I will stay some years without upgrades and to keep me from buying new stuff I think I'll try those crazy mods on the SHP9500 and the HD58X

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #2,244 of 4,845
@tolis626 I would listen to the HD58X first before contemplating something like magnet mod.

As for your Fiio Q1, it will be enough. I have more than ample power from the small USB powered Sound BlasterX G5. It's a joke with the NFB11.

But... I don't think HD58x is a complement to MSR7. MSR7 has some of the most detailed highs I have ever heard, no make that, it is the most treble detailed headphone I have ever heard, to the point it was unbearable for me, it hit certain frequencies that irritated my hearing. I don't think MSR7 is sibilant, but it's just not right for my ears.

If you want a different sound, HD58x may be up your alley. But if you want a complement, I would look to AD900x/AD1000x. AD900x for similar price as HD58x or splurge for AD1000x. That's my opinion at least.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #2,245 of 4,845
Interesting. I thought the opposite with K712 being technically superior. HD58X is easier to listen to, more pleasant agreeable sound.

Immersion for me is tough to assess. I find the HD58x is more intimate. But both AD900x and K712 are more expansive. Depends on what I'm looking for. I definitely think orchestral sounds are more immersive on K712, but for movies, HD58x is more immersive.

I have not played any FPS sims in a while though. So I can't comment on realistic gun sounds.

AD900x is still my go to for gaming though.

I will continue to listen to the HD58x. I'm glad I went with it, certainly a reminder that I did love the Sennheiser sound. I never felt the need to get the HD600 since I had the K712 and I didn't want to go back to the veiled HD650. HD58x is definitely a nice balance.

If the K712 is anything like the Austrian units, then you seem to be perceiving brighter headphones as more detailed and more technical. The K701 had an upper midrange peak and a resonant cup. It isn't more detailed at all. More brighter, yes.

IMO, the HD6XX/650 is better in every way except bass. But that’s of course in part because of my preferences in sound signature.

That aside, it would make sense that the HD58X is technically inferior to the HD660S at least, as Sennheiser hardly would shoot down their top headphone in the HD6 range with a headphone at one third the cost? I have the HD6XX, HD58X, but not HD660S, so I can’t really comment on the HD660S sound myself, but it kind of makes sense to me.

Know when you are in a test market. I do.

Create controversy, create chatter....it's free publicity.

Especially as it's highly probable sales of HD660 fell well short of sales projections. Due to the teary eyed negative review from the godfather himself.

What would you do with a tonne of unsold HD660 parts that did not sell as predicted?

Grab an end game headphone at never before seen prices now, while you still can.

I bought two. The real question is, should I buy three?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #2,246 of 4,845

The SHP9500 was one the headphone that I really didn't like, very thin and dry sounding (un modded) so gave them away after a month but the person I gave them to really likes it so maybe its me that is the problem, LOL.

I've had my HD58X for a few weeks now and all of the non-audio nut friends who have heard them like them a lot but the ones who have decent/good audio system or better headphones say "you get what you pay for" since all will quickly pick up on the slight grain in the treble. While I do agree with you that its a matter of preference it seems to be more of experiences with other gear/headphones that matters more from what I've noticed with my friends.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #2,247 of 4,845
I've had my HD58X for a few weeks now and all of the non-audio nut friends who have heard them like them a lot but the ones who have decent/good audio system or better headphones say "you get what you pay for" since all will quickly pick up on the slight grain in the treble. While I do agree with you that its a matter of preference it seems to be more of experiences with other gear/headphones that matters more from what I've noticed with my friends.
You got to hear it out of my 2 ohm output impedance solid-state amp built like a tank BHA-1 fed by Gumby my DAC all fully balanced to the headphone. Sound stage, imaging are quite good with my setup.

If OTL doesn't work out due to the lower impedance than the siblings, there' also tube amps with output transformers.

I see why string instruments sound so good with these. It's the quick, snappy response of the headphone that resolves the string sound well.

If I were to perfect it's response, I'd add slightly more at the 3-4K, and linearize the bass (this is probably impossible with dynamic drivers at this stage of tech) as the lower mids can sound a bit wooley as pointed out.

I just started listening to these, and can't stop now (it's like this every time I start listening to it, and I have to go to bed. LOL). It has that kind of effect. It's really addictive, It sounds so interesting (It's like I look forward to what the other recordings will sound like, this doesn't happen with other headphones, not in this level). LOL.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #2,248 of 4,845
You got to hear it out of my 2 ohm output impedance solid-state amp built like a tank BHA-1 fed by Gumby my DAC all fully balanced to the headphone. Sound stage, imaging are quite good with my setup.

If OTL doesn't work out due to the lower impedance than the siblings, there' also tube amps with output transformers.

I see why string instruments sound so good with these. It's the quick, snappy response of the headphone that resolves the string sound well.

If I were to perfect it's response, I'd add slightly more at the 3-4K, and linearize the bass (this is probably impossible with dynamic drives at this stage of tech) as the lower mids can sound a bit wooley as pointed out.
The slight grain in the treble is not amp dependent, its there with any amp that I've tried, OTL, hybrid, or SS, doesn't seem to matter and I would be surprised if an amp did make a difference since the grain is a function/property of the driver. One of my friends who has heard the HD58X uses a MHDT Pagoda or Musette DAC + DarkStar or V280 amp which to me are about as good as it gets and to her the grain in the treble was quickly noted. I think many may not hear the grain since they might not be using supporting gear which is revealing enough or they might not have experienced something that is almost grain less like a HD800, L-700 or similar.

FWIW I really like the HD58X out of my Ember with the output resistance set to low (0.01ohms) but like you noted on OTL amps like my BH Crack its actually sounding worse to me than from my low power S8 phone or old Fiio X1 DAP.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #2,249 of 4,845
The SHP9500 was one the headphone that I really didn't like, very thin and dry sounding (un modded) so gave them away after a month but the person I gave them to really likes it so maybe its me that is the problem, LOL.

The complaints I’ve read about the SHP9500 seem to align with yours.

I’ve yet to hear the HD 58X yet, I will soon as a friend has one, but considering I already find the HD 660 S, HD 650, and HD 600 a bit grainy, I wouldn’t be surprised if I find the HD 58X a bit grainy as well.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #2,250 of 4,845
The complaints I’ve read about the SHP9500 seem to align with yours.

I’ve yet to hear the HD 58X yet, I will soon as a friend has one, but considering I already find the HD 660 S, HD 650, and HD 600 a bit grainy, I wouldn’t be surprised if I find the HD 58X a bit grainy as well.

I think you will notice the HD58X is probably the one with the most grain. To me the HD660S has the least grain of these similar headphones but to some the slightly rolled off treble of the HD650 probably does a good job of hiding a bit of the grain so its not as noticeable. I'd be interested when you get to hear the HD58X in how they compare with your Amiron and T1gen2 since those are still on my radar as possible additions to my already too large collection, as my GF say I collect headphones like most women collect shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back