Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Sep 19, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #2,221 of 4,845
Yeah that's nonsense. That's nice to know how sleezy the audio industry is, to consider such minuscule changes as new drivers. Those I would think for anyone else in any other industry, false advertising. It's slight adjustments. If I were to buy a new Camry, identical, except one has 16" rims rather than 17", but was told it was a totally new different car? C'mon, that's just dumb.

I would compare changes in an driver to changes to the engine. Could be the same engine block but various things may be different. If I were to compare a headphone driver to anything in a car, it would be the engine. The housing of a headphone is akin to a car body/frame, the pads could be considered the tires/rims, wiring/cables the fuel system, etc.

A better analogy would be the HD 6XX family is the Camry, but each headphone is a different version of the Camry, each has a different engine(or a tweaked version of the same engine) and a different trim.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #2,222 of 4,845
Yeah that's nonsense. That's nice to know how sleezy the audio industry is, to consider such minuscule changes as new drivers. Those I would think for anyone else in any other industry, false advertising. It's slight adjustments. If I were to buy a new Camry, identical, except one has 16" rims rather than 17", but was told it was a totally new different car? C'mon, that's just dumb.

i can say honestly any of the changes i mentioned did in fact change the frequency response of that driver therefore....new driver. you cant sell an altered driver with a different freq response or different xmax as the exact same model. people would be pretty pissed if so

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #2,223 of 4,845
Okay are the drivers in this 38mm or 40mm? I know they where 38mm in the prototypes but are they 40mm in the final product? Is it possible that when they decided to scrap the prototypes sound signature they where forced to use the only other 150ohm driver they had that would fit the enclosure, the ones from the HD660s? Its a theory.

Sep 19, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #2,225 of 4,845

To go with your car analogy year to year car model changes, as well as different packages, like "LX" models, are usually quite small, but they are still considered different cars. Considering a car requires thousands of parts, while a speaker requires a minimum of about 4, it's not really unreasonable that changing one of these parts makes a significant different on aggregate, enough to call it by a different model name. The focal clears for example are basically the elears with a formerless voice coil, one of the main parts of the driver. This is a significant enough change to make it a better performer according to most people.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #2,226 of 4,845
Been using the HD58X for a few weeks now, still give them 2 thumbs up :)

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,229 of 4,845
They arrived. Listening to them now. I don't regret buying these.

K712 are definitely more clear, with better tight bass. AD900x definitely has more excitement.

Interesting these were advertised for more low extension than the other hd6xx series, but the AD900x and K712 definitely have more impactful and fun bass. But I'm satisfied with the HD58x bass.

These have more treble extension than HD650? I haven't listened to them in years now. But HD58x treble pales in comparison to the sprakle of either AD900x or K712. But again, it is satisfying nonetheless.

These HD58x while IMO is inferior to K712 in overall fidelity and fun to AD900x has that wonderful non-fatiguing smooth sound. Can definitely listen to these all day. The overall sound and package works with the HD58x. It's a great blend of sound.

I removed the foam. Removing foam improves more than I expected. Really am liking these. These will be my go to for laid back listening, background studying or working headphones. They are pleasant to use.

Best way I can describe my enjoyment is, these do not offend me in any way. I really have nothing bad to say about them. Yes other headphones do better at many things, but these are so inoffensive.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #2,230 of 4,845

K712 are definitely more clear, with better tight bass. AD900x definitely has more excitement.

Interesting these were advertised for more low extension than the other hd6xx series, but the AD900x and K712 definitely have more impactful and fun bass. But I'm satisfied with the HD58x bass.

These have more treble extension than HD650? I haven't listened to them in years now. But HD58x treble pales in comparison to the sprakle of either AD900x or K712. But again, it is satisfying nonetheless.

These HD58x while IMO is inferior to K712 in overall fidelity and fun to AD900x has that wonderful non-fatiguing smooth sound. Can definitely listen to these all day. The overall sound and package works with the HD58x. It's a great blend of sound.

I removed the foam. Removing foam improves more than I expected. Really am liking these. These will be my go to for laid back listening, background studying or working headphones. They are pleasant to use.

Best way I can describe my enjoyment is, these do not offend me in any way. I really have nothing bad to say about them. Yes other headphones do better at many things, but these are so inoffensive.

This is exactly how I feel about the K7XX’s.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #2,231 of 4,845
I did removed the foam behind the grills and fixed it back after a while just for testing. It seems to me the sound is a tiny bit brighter and the stage a bit bigger. Just nuances but listenable.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #2,232 of 4,845
So I know it was implied HD58x could be portable, I have to disagree. They sound mediocre with my 6P. V80 sounds better and V80 is a far inferior sound in every way. I've been using them with my Audio-GD and the SoundBlaster X G5.

I'm thinking of getting one of those USB Soundstick with Sabre ESS chips for $25 from Aliexpress, for convenience watching movies on laptops while lounging.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #2,233 of 4,845

I have the original K701 made in Austria version. I run them balanced.

They are my go to gaming headphone due to comfort and you can keep the volume very low and still hear great detail. In ways, I think they are great...lean mean machine...but sibilance are so smooth and lack grain.

Were my go to gaming headphone. I found the 58X far more realistic sounding...in fact...the crack of a rifle combined with bass power is the closest of all the headphones I have to the real deal. At immersion volume levels, the 58X is far more immersive than the K701.

The same for the crack of the snare drum...the best so far. But lacking in dynamic bass power portion of the snare drum, where the LCD 2 and HD650 is just a bit better. The K701 sounds like the drum kit is far away in an aircraft hangar.

The K701 sounds like a last gen dynamic in raw speed. The 58X is closer to the current gen HD800 dynamic in terms of raw speed.

Transient attack of piano notes and guitar plucks are rendered in 'Full HD' where as the K701 sounds like VHS definition. Same as cymbals, rides and hi hats.

The 58X is a generation ahead of my balanced K701s.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,234 of 4,845
Will posted this, and I was thinking, can they shape the response like that? I don't know if it's that easy. Can Massdrop order Sennheiser they want this response? I would love to be able to tune my own headphone.

I heard the HE60 side by side with several boxy cup styled STAX. I am afraid of spending on STAX electrostats since.

The HE60 sounded far more natural and full bodied compared to the STAX. Unfortunately, they are out of production and serviceability.

The more I think about it, I wonder how much of the Senheisser naturalness is derived via an oval, un-angled, open cup design. The reflection characteristics within this fundamental dimensional foundation.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #2,235 of 4,845
I have the original K701 made in Austria version. I run them balanced.

They are my go to gaming headphone due to comfort and you can keep the volume very low and still hear great detail. In ways, I think they are great...lean mean machine...but sibilance are so smooth and lack grain.

Were my go to gaming headphone. I found the 58X far more realistic sounding...in fact...the crack of a rifle combined with bass power is the closest of all the headphones I have to the real deal. At immersion volume levels, the 58X is far more immersive than the K701.

The same for the crack of the snare drum...the best so far. But lacking in dynamic bass power portion of the snare drum, where the LCD 2 and HD650 is just a bit better. The K701 sounds like the drum kit is far away in an aircraft hangar.

The K701 sounds like a last gen dynamic in raw speed. The 58X is closer to the current gen HD800 dynamic in terms of raw speed.

Transient attack of piano notes and guitar plucks are rendered in 'Full HD' where as the K701 sounds like VHS definition. Same as cymbals, rides and hi hats.

The 58X is a generation ahead of my balanced K701s.

Interesting. I thought the opposite with K712 being technically superior. HD58X is easier to listen to, more pleasant agreeable sound.

Immersion for me is tough to assess. I find the HD58x is more intimate. But both AD900x and K712 are more expansive. Depends on what I'm looking for. I definitely think orchestral sounds are more immersive on K712, but for movies, HD58x is more immersive.

I have not played any FPS sims in a while though. So I can't comment on realistic gun sounds.

AD900x is still my go to for gaming though.

I will continue to listen to the HD58x. I'm glad I went with it, certainly a reminder that I did love the Sennheiser sound. I never felt the need to get the HD600 since I had the K712 and I didn't want to go back to the veiled HD650. HD58x is definitely a nice balance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back