Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview
May 4, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #751 of 766
I've been itching for some new in-ears since my Simgot EN700pro's broke. Initially bought the Final E4000s, but those just don't vibe with me -- especially in the details department, they are just a bit lacklustre and the whole sound just lacks energy. Plus despite having rather rolled-off highs, they do weirdly introduce some sibilance to my ears.

I was thinking to maybe splurge a little to get something quality so that I don't get this itch every year. But then I saw that these noble's are USD 105 currently with the introductory 20 USD massdrop coupon. I'm in the UK at the moment, so there's international shipping, conversion and taxes etc, but still it wont go much over 100 quid. Sounds very tempting but... The reviews on this one do raise some concerns that I was hoping some on this thread might help clear up:

- Are they power-hungry? I move too often for a real desk set-up to be practical and in practice rarely want the extra bulk of a DAP/mobile amp in my pocket, but from what I've read, an amp really helps bring out the highs.
- Do they have energy? I'm basically concerned that I end up with another 'pleasant but not exciting' IEM like the E4000s. From the reviews, these do seem rather laid-back and warm, though others have described it as mid-centric...
- A huge number of people seem to have trouble with the fit and tip rolling in general appears to be necessary. Spinfits are mentioned often, but how big of a change do they make?
- Can anyone compare them to the more recent chi-fi offerings? Reviews I'm finding are almost all from around the introduction, when these were more expensive but also when the competition at the low-end was not nearly as fierce...

Cheers!

I've had these since around December, and they were my "gateway" into the audio hobby. It seemed like a good price @ $125, and I remember being blown away by them at first. Now that I have other, better IEMs, I haven't touched these at all, but I decided to pop them in today and have a listen. Hopefully people know there are better options now... but Massdrop still sells them. So to put it nicely, and save people some money, the Noble X are simply not worth it.

In terms of accessories, there's no size small tips. So you'll have to procure those yourself. I ended up getting the Azla Sedna. You get a plastic, screw-top canister to store the IEMs: It's not exactly great, but acceptable. I actually rather like the cable. It's hard to tangle, light, and of decent quality.

As for the IEM itself...they are not power-hungry at all. In terms of sound, there is something wonky going on with the treble - it feels very rolled off - and the base is slightly boosted. This makes the vocals/mids sound "veiled" for lack of better word, although the mids are "full" as some reviewers have noted. And as a consequence, the overall sound comes off as bloated and quite muddy. Sure, they're definitely "laid back and warm" but at the expense of resolution and overall tonal balance. And while some people have called these "fun"...I respectfully disagree. They sound slightly dark which stamps that impression for me.

In terms of chi-fi offerings, the Moondrop Starfield is comparable price-wise and is much more energetic and balanced. It smacks the Noble X on pretty much every front; you also get that DD bass which is awesome.

Maybe these were good a few years ago, but they've definitely been eclipsed by cheaper, better-performing alternatives. I fell for the hype reading some of the reviews; hopefully people on the fence don't do the same. If you like them all the more power to you. But it's quite the niche sound signature, and I'd be hard-pressed to recommend them.

Edit: Welp, I didn't read first and noticed you bought them. Would be interested to hear how that panned out for ya.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #752 of 766
Well myself I find them to b e a nice iem and I've owned mine since the $249 MassDrop days. IMO they are a killer deal for $105 :wink: I kind wish you would make up your mind up on those mids, I mean you say they are mid centric and then turn around and say the muddy bass veils the mids and I don't have issue with any of the three ranges. For me the Noble cable was the let down on the "X"! True they run fine on a phone but put them on a ES100 or dedicated DAP like an Opus and they really shine, I've never had fitment issues as well but then again I wear large Auvio's as opposed to small tips so I can see where someone might have fit issues or even the size of the shells themselves but I just wanted to offer the other side of your take on them. Like I always say we all hear them differently and there is no wrong answer. I myself prefer my Noble "X"'s with a balanced 16 core

Fi-Noble Top.JPG

and hope now that he has purchased them that he finds the right tip/cable combo to bring them to their full potential.

May 5, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #753 of 766
I don't recall specifically calling out the bass as being the culprit, but to reiterate: They just sound muddy in general. Sure, the bass has a sluggish decay and bleeds over slightly into the mids. But even though the Noble X is mid-centric (meaning the range pops most to me), the mids are just inherently hazy. This is further exacerbated by the treble roll-off, so there's an overall lack of detail.

Personally, I don't think the inherent value of an IEM should be predicated on external equipment. Like you said, though - everyone hears differently, and I hope that he's found something that works for him regardless. If you're happy, you're happy and don't let me tell ya otherwise haha. And to be fair, I've also probably been spoiled by my other IEMs!

May 5, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #754 of 766
I appreciate both your thoughts. My short take after three weeks or so is mainly that I just don't wear them as often as I would have thought. Partially, that's just me being in lockdown so wearing full-size cans everywhere. Partially also however that's just because the fit is so poor. I had another 2pin cable laying around, which sticks out a tiny bit at the connector but otherwise is a substantial improvement. But even then and having tried a whole bunch of tips, I just can't get a proper insertion. The bore is pretty wide and the housings just stick out, so I constantly feel like I'm losing the seal. And when I push them in, I get a weird vacuum pressure effect that is entirely unpleasant and I haven't had since the good old sony MH1C days.

Maybe that's just getting used to the feeling. They did not actually fall out, even when I took them running.

Sound-wise... These do lack a bit of energy, but are pretty capable I think. I think warm-mid centric is roughly speaking what I hear too. They lack the energy and grit for rock and metal, and lack the accuracy/speed to deal with complex classical music, but they pair well with older pop, folk and acoustics, especially since the soundstage is quite good. Most people I think would say they lack slam to work with electronics and modern pop, but for me it's actually a decent representation. All vocals do get a somewhat 'glossy' feel though, which sometimes feel like it's veiled. I think it is often an artefact of modern mastering too though, where they make tracks extremely bright and polished at the expense of basically all the dynamics...

Haven't made my mind up, but I'm inclined to say that there are both more analytical and more entertaining options out there. This one does neither all that well. Which may sound like it does bit of both, but I mean it like I said it: it does neither well. I do not regret buying them exactly, but I think they have too specific a sound profile to be any kind of 'final purchase' for anyone -- even if they don't have the budget to go for more pricier options.

May 5, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #755 of 766
I appreciate both your thoughts. My short take after three weeks or so is mainly that I just don't wear them as often as I would have thought. Partially, that's just me being in lockdown so wearing full-size cans everywhere. Partially also however that's just because the fit is so poor. I had another 2pin cable laying around, which sticks out a tiny bit at the connector but otherwise is a substantial improvement. But even then and having tried a whole bunch of tips, I just can't get a proper insertion. The bore is pretty wide and the housings just stick out, so I constantly feel like I'm losing the seal. And when I push them in, I get a weird vacuum pressure effect that is entirely unpleasant and I haven't had since the good old sony MH1C days.

Maybe that's just getting used to the feeling. They did not actually fall out, even when I took them running.

Sound-wise... These do lack a bit of energy, but are pretty capable I think. I think warm-mid centric is roughly speaking what I hear too. They lack the energy and grit for rock and metal, and lack the accuracy/speed to deal with complex classical music, but they pair well with older pop, folk and acoustics, especially since the soundstage is quite good. Most people I think would say they lack slam to work with electronics and modern pop, but for me it's actually a decent representation. All vocals do get a somewhat 'glossy' feel though, which sometimes feel like it's veiled. I think it is often an artefact of modern mastering too though, where they make tracks extremely bright and polished at the expense of basically all the dynamics...

Haven't made my mind up, but I'm inclined to say that there are both more analytical and more entertaining options out there. This one does neither all that well. Which may sound like it does bit of both, but I mean it like I said it: it does neither well. I do not regret buying them exactly, but I think they have too specific a sound profile to be any kind of 'final purchase' for anyone -- even if they don't have the budget to go for more pricier options.

I’ll agree in modern recordings/mixing for sure and on some vocals they almost sound transistorized! I think for what you paid they are a good one to have in a small arsenal:wink: for me after time you make notes on your iem’s on which ones have strengths and weaknesses as well as what gear and genre’s they sound best with and on.

May 5, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #756 of 766
Jude Mansilla reckoned these were better than the Noble Savannahs when they were first released at $250. The Savannahs retailed at $600 and were very highly regarded. These are now sold at $125. That's got to be one of the best deals in Head Fi? I do agree, though, with the fit issues. Getting an eartip to work well with these is like searching for the holy grail.

May 5, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #757 of 766
Ah what does that Jude guy know about audio! LOL Indeed it can take a while to get the right tips especially for those with small canals but they are worth the search:wink:

AD53EBAA-0BDE-43AB-8CEE-15FFA1ABE111.jpeg

May 5, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #758 of 766
Jude Mansilla reckoned these were better than the Noble Savannahs when they were first released at $250. The Savannahs retailed at $600 and were very highly regarded. These are now sold at $125. That's got to be one of the best deals in Head Fi? I do agree, though, with the fit issues. Getting an eartip to work well with these is like searching for the holy grail.

You mean his article in the buying guide? Yeah, he did say that he liked the sound signature better, but also that they were pretty early impressions and that it was highly tip-dependent... And it does feel a bit like a hype-piece overall.

Personally, I suspect that a hybrid foam tips might be a good match, but none of the ones I own fit. What are thoughts here? Saw a lot of posts of people with spinfits?

May 10, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #759 of 766
I've got the Symbios which I like but they're a little hard and my right ear, in particular, seems to push it out. I have the ear bonds on order from Hong Kong but there's no air mail and shipping by sea is going to be at least two months.

At the moment I'm using In Air foamies - a good fit and nice warmish sound but, like the complys, they don't last forever. I wish Shure made their grey foam olives in a bigger bore size - they work best for me and they last for ages but won't fit Nobles.

May 23, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #760 of 766
I've got the Symbios which I like but they're a little hard and my right ear, in particular, seems to push it out. I have the ear bonds on order from Hong Kong but there's no air mail and shipping by sea is going to be at least two months.

At the moment I'm using In Air foamies - a good fit and nice warmish sound but, like the complys, they don't last forever. I wish Shure made their grey foam olives in a bigger bore size - they work best for me and they last for ages but won't fit Nobles.
I purchased a box of 200 3M Earsoft 312-1261 years ago for use with my Shure 425's. Amazon currently sells this for $26.49.

I cut ~.5 inch from the tip off the plug, and use an adjustable leather hole punch plier to create a channel for the nozzle. The Shure's nozzle is much thinner than the Noble X's, but using the largest punch on the leather tool, it works. I push the Noble X nozzle through the Earsoft plug till the nozzle end is flush with the plug end. The back end of the plug rests aginst the Noble X body.

I've never had much success with keeping buds with silicone tips in my ears. I tried Spinfit cp155, AZLA SednaEarfitLight, as well as the included tips with no success. The home made Earsofts are the only thing I've used that have been able to achieve a good seal

Aug 19, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #761 of 766
I don't recall specifically calling out the bass as being the culprit, but to reiterate: They just sound muddy in general. Sure, the bass has a sluggish decay and bleeds over slightly into the mids. But even though the Noble X is mid-centric (meaning the range pops most to me), the mids are just inherently hazy. This is further exacerbated by the treble roll-off, so there's an overall lack of detail.

Personally, I don't think the inherent value of an IEM should be predicated on external equipment. Like you said, though - everyone hears differently, and I hope that he's found something that works for him regardless. If you're happy, you're happy and don't let me tell ya otherwise haha. And to be fair, I've also probably been spoiled by my other IEMs!

I'm going to have to disagree on the equipment and quality therein does make a difference to sound quality with a lot of my gear and the more sensitive both are the more apparent it is:thinking: I really doubt this NICEHCK cable makes much of a difference but for sure the right tips for your ears does and I'm still looking for that muddy bass and lack of energy for rock on this setup as I've just slammed some Candlebox, ACDC and Metallica and even on low gain (Careful with the high gain, Boost and bass) they all rocked it but they are as you say a mid centric iem and vocals really abound on them. Dwight doing Johnson's Love is stellar:wink:

Lifeless My Eye.JPG

Aug 19, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #762 of 766
I'm going to have to disagree on the equipment and quality therein does make a difference to sound quality with a lot of my gear and the more sensitive both are the more apparent it is:thinking:

I think you might be putting words in my mouth haha. I never claimed that good equipment doesn't make a difference to sound quality - it definitely does. Rather, I said that the value of an IEM shouldn't be predicated on said equipment. Predicated meaning "based on".

Personally, I don't think the inherent value of an IEM should be predicated on external equipment.

If an IEM mandates an expensive amp/DAC for it to sound good, then that cost should be added as a function of the IEM too. I'm not saying that it doesn't sound good off of said sources, but that the value proposition simply plummets for most IEMs if this is the case. Hope this helps clarify!

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #763 of 766
I think you might be putting words in my mouth haha. I never claimed that good equipment doesn't make a difference to sound quality - it definitely does. Rather, I said that the value of an IEM shouldn't be predicated on said equipment. Predicated meaning "based on".

If an IEM mandates an expensive amp/DAC for it to sound good, then that cost should be added as a function of the IEM too. I'm not saying that it doesn't sound good off of said sources, but that the value proposition simply plummets for most IEMs if this is the case. Hope this helps clarify!

I see what your saying and really you can get some nice amps at reasonable cost. I think the walnut F1 is crazy good for the price. But yea if the iem needs juice that should be considered in the overall equation :beerchug:

Sep 5, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #764 of 766
A good 100 € seems to be a good price, despite Chi-Fi, where I always have the feeling that many drivers are put into a housing and one hopes that some people like the sound and there is the next hype, a week later another hype , 2 more days ... another hype.
Is the Noble X comparable to the JH Astell & Kern "Billie Jean"?

It's also a 2BA setup. The case appears to be similarly bulky.
Has anyone tried the Noble x with Triple Tips? For me - with deep ear canals, most IEMs only fit triple tips.

I also have a NuForce HEM8 here. Is the resolution of Noble X comparable (which would be great - but I don't think so)?
Or is the resolution at least at SD2 level?

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #765 of 766
Is the Noble X comparable to the JH Astell & Kern "Billie Jean"?

It's also a 2BA setup. The case appears to be similarly bulky.

I own both and find the Astell & Kern to be much easier to get a good seal with and more comfortable too. It's a bit of a weird fit though, but they stay in just fine. Sound-wise, it's more a matter of taste and they do have a fair amount of similarities. From a pure technical point of view, the A&K would win it, but neither of them are super technical IEMs anyway -- and I don't think anyone would buy them to use for monitoring. For what it's worth, I find myself rarely ever wearing the Noble's because of the fit issues. Should really order some different tips for them as they do sound good with acoustic music especially...

Anyway, I'm about to travel and then have to quarantine but if it's still a relevant question to you in a few weeks time, just ping me here around that time and I'll do a more in-depth comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back