Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview
Nov 23, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #737 of 766
I'm not sure If I would call the Noble X a "Fun" signature. I would think the Noble X qualify as neutral but a touch on the warm side. The highs are there, just not offensive. The bass is also there but not overwhelming. The Noble X are smooth, pleasant and non-fatiguing. However, much more resolving than would I would expect from from that description.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #738 of 766
I'm not sure If I would call the Noble X a "Fun" signature. I would think the Noble X qualify as neutral but a touch on the warm side. The highs are there, just not offensive. The bass is also there but not overwhelming. The Noble X are smooth, pleasant and non-fatiguing. However, much more resolving than would I would expect from from that description.
I am curious what tips you are using, with the X? I find the punchy midbass, and warmth in the lower mids quite "fun" sounding. When I first got mine, I was totally surprised by how powerful the bass was. Definitely a non fatiguing and smooth signature, and I agree they resolve quite well, for the money. I like them so much, I had to have more Noble iems, and now I own the Savant II, and have some K10U on the way.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #739 of 766
I am curious what tips you are using, with the X? I find the punchy midbass, and warmth in the lower mids quite "fun" sounding. When I first got mine, I was totally surprised by how powerful the bass was. Definitely a non fatiguing and smooth signature, and I agree they resolve quite well, for the money. I like them so much, I had to have more Noble iems, and now I own the Savant II, and have some K10U on the way.

Gate way drug

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Nov 23, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #740 of 766
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #743 of 766

I'm using the single-flange silicone ear tips (L). I think of a "fun" sounding sig as a V where something is added and something else is taken away. I don't really hear anything extra being added or anything being taken away, other than harshness. The X's do have good bass, but I don't think it's at the expense of anything else. I think the X's are "fun sounding" but not a fun signature. We are probably just talking semantics.

Nov 24, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #744 of 766
I'm using the single-flange silicone ear tips (L). I think of a "fun" sounding sig as a V where something is added and something else is taken away. I don't really hear anything extra being added or anything being taken away, other than harshness. The X's do have good bass, but I don't think it's at the expense of anything else. I think the X's are "fun sounding" but not a fun signature. We are probably just talking semantics.
I think your a right, for sure. We are on the same page. I think these are a very well tuned "fun" sound signature, that would appeal to many. Very smart tuning, for price point and place to sell them, but that is no surprise coming from the Wizard. I am using Azla Sedna Ear Fit Tip, with mine and also kind of like the double flange and stock foam are my 3rd fav. The all 3 kind of switch up the bass and mids a bit. I have super small and shallow ears, so use size small or SS, if I can get it, but have not fit issues at all.

Mar 26, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #745 of 766
I've been itching for some new in-ears since my Simgot EN700pro's broke. Initially bought the Final E4000s, but those just don't vibe with me -- especially in the details department, they are just a bit lacklustre and the whole sound just lacks energy. Plus despite having rather rolled-off highs, they do weirdly introduce some sibilance to my ears.

I was thinking to maybe splurge a little to get something quality so that I don't get this itch every year. But then I saw that these noble's are USD 105 currently with the introductory 20 USD massdrop coupon. I'm in the UK at the moment, so there's international shipping, conversion and taxes etc, but still it wont go much over 100 quid. Sounds very tempting but... The reviews on this one do raise some concerns that I was hoping some on this thread might help clear up:

- Are they power-hungry? I move too often for a real desk set-up to be practical and in practice rarely want the extra bulk of a DAP/mobile amp in my pocket, but from what I've read, an amp really helps bring out the highs.
- Do they have energy? I'm basically concerned that I end up with another 'pleasant but not exciting' IEM like the E4000s. From the reviews, these do seem rather laid-back and warm, though others have described it as mid-centric...
- A huge number of people seem to have trouble with the fit and tip rolling in general appears to be necessary. Spinfits are mentioned often, but how big of a change do they make?
- Can anyone compare them to the more recent chi-fi offerings? Reviews I'm finding are almost all from around the introduction, when these were more expensive but also when the competition at the low-end was not nearly as fierce...

Cheers!

Mar 26, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #746 of 766
- A huge number of people seem to have trouble with the fit and tip rolling in general appears to be necessary. Spinfits are mentioned often, but how big of a change do they make?

I'm one of the posters here that has complained about fit. I stumbled on a solution which works with the tips that come with the Noble X: All I have to do is leave the wires dangling from my ears instead of draped over my ears. For some reason, when the wires are over my ears, it pops the tips out a bit. Very simple but it's been highly effective for me.

To answer another question of yous: The Noble X are not power hungry. They sound great out of my Iphone.

Mar 26, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #747 of 766
- Are they power-hungry? I move too often for a real desk set-up to be practical and in practice rarely want the extra bulk of a DAP/mobile amp in my pocket, but from what I've read, an amp really helps bring out the highs.
They are loud enough from a smartphone so they don't _need_ an amp. But I have found them a bit brighter from a small amp (FiiO E10 Olympus), yes. But I suspect that's more of a pairing thing rather than power thing.

- Do they have energy? I'm basically concerned that I end up with another 'pleasant but not exciting' IEM like the E4000s. From the reviews, these do seem rather laid-back and warm, though others have described it as mid-centric...
Well, to my ears, this is kinda two-fold. They are very fast, just like a multi-BA IEM should be. So it feels energetic after coming from over-ears for example. But at the same time, many people "find" the energy in the treble - and treble is rolled of at the Noble X.

I haven't found the fit particularly bad. Not great, not terrible. Noble X has a fantastic cable, which helps, however.

- Can anyone compare them to the more recent chi-fi offerings? Reviews I'm finding are almost all from around the introduction, when these were more expensive but also when the competition at the low-end was not nearly as fierce...
I can only compare to JVC-FDX1 and IMR R1 and both blow Noble X out of the water. But they also cost more.

Mar 26, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #749 of 766
They're an absolute steal at the moment. I prefer them to my Shure se535 on pure fidelity though finding the right tip has been a struggle. The Shure grey foam olives are just perfect for me. I did go to the trouble of adapting these to use on the Nobles a while back. I wish Shure made them with a wider bore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back