Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview
Aug 13, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #706 of 766
Thanks for the insights Tadeas; I just received the Massdrop x Noble today. They're much smaller than I expected and look GREAT!

Thing is, not a single pair of the included tips fit me. I'm 5'9 and fairly within the curve for both weight and height (... ok maybe a little to the right for weight), so I expect my ears to be as well.
However in this case, there's just not a single tip which either enters, stays in, or doesn't hurt my ears.

Preliminary trials revealed a very pretty-sounding IEM without overbearing frequencies, and a decent cable which isn't too annoying (I am having issues with the sticky cable of the Massdrop Plus, for example. This one is way less robust, but less tangly and frustrating). With those less-than-good fitting tips, the IEM is very comfortable and fits within my ears at multiple angles without issues.
From my PC -> Bifrost -> Magni3 there is no hiss at all, even if I crank the Magni. My mobile setup is just phone -> Dragonfly Red, so we'll see there.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #711 of 766
Thanks for the insights Tadeas; I just received the Massdrop x Noble today. They're much smaller than I expected and look GREAT!

Thing is, not a single pair of the included tips fit me. I'm 5'9 and fairly within the curve for both weight and height (... ok maybe a little to the right for weight), so I expect my ears to be as well.
However in this case, there's just not a single tip which either enters, stays in, or doesn't hurt my ears.

I initially had this problem with getting a good seal, too. I ended up using the larger black olive tips, and that combined with bending the memory wire so it is snug around my ear took care of this issue.

The sound is fantastic, better than I had expected. Now I’m drooling over the Katana or the Massdrop K10. Too many headphones/IEMs in my collection, but I always seem to find a reason why to buy another. :money_mouth:

Nov 29, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #712 of 766
What I really want is the special edition Katana in black ... killer looking! With tax, though, I’m looking at close to two grand, ugh. :sob:

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #714 of 766
Hey guys if you’re having fit issues with the X try switching to a different cable with no pre shaped cable guides or with larger/ softer ones. I almost gave up on these (and the K10) cos the IEMs keep getting out, but then I realized that it’s the cable guides that pull them out. I switched to the massdrop plus cable (not as good as the stock Noble cable but with larger cable guides) and these fit AMAZINGLY. The problem is, I have ear canals going slight upwards, so I had to bend the cable guides to get them behind my ears, and they started to pul the IEMs out. I guess they’re good for normal ears but not for weird shaped ones like mine.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #715 of 766
Hey guys if you’re having fit issues with the X try switching to a different cable with no pre shaped cable guides or with larger/ softer ones. I almost gave up on these (and the K10) cos the IEMs keep getting out, but then I realized that it’s the cable guides that pull them out. I switched to the massdrop plus cable (not as good as the stock Noble cable but with larger cable guides) and these fit AMAZINGLY. The problem is, I have ear canals going slight upwards, so I had to bend the cable guides to get them behind my ears, and they started to pul the IEMs out. I guess they’re good for normal ears but not for weird shaped ones like mine.

My right ear is like that. Goes up at an angle. Left one is more or less straight.

Nov 30, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #716 of 766
My right ear is like that. Goes up at an angle. Left one is more or less straight.
So I guess your signature also applies to the shapes of the ears :ghost:
For me the foam tips definitely help a lot in this case. With foam tips and a custom cable the X (and K10) actually became some of the most comfortable and securely fit IEMs for me.

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #717 of 766
I decided to order some Comply tips since the large black olives slip a bit when I’m up and about. The T500 sample pack is $14.95 on Amazon, so I can try all three different types to find the best pair. I’ve had good luck with Comply in the past, so I expect the same here.

Dec 1, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #718 of 766
When the seal is good, the X is a mighty impressive IEM, in my view.

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #719 of 766
I decided to order some Comply tips since the large black olives slip a bit when I’m up and about. The T500 sample pack is $14.95 on Amazon, so I can try all three different types to find the best pair. I’ve had good luck with Comply in the past, so I expect the same here.

I received my Comply sample pack today. Big difference in fit and comfort. If anyone is having a problem with fit/comfort, I strongly recommend the T500 tips.

Now my X sounds even better than before ... love them!

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #720 of 766
I just received a pair of these today in trade. When I picked up the package in the post office I noticed a coffee shop across the street, as I couldn't wait to get home to try them out I went in had a Coffey and gave them a listen. I tried all the tips sent but I have to say I was very disappointed with the sound.

At home I found a few large bore tips from some audiofly 78s. I rolled a couple of tips and finally found a set of tips that really made these iems come alive. I just love the mids on these, really nice.

I have to say these really are tip dependant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back