Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview
Jun 29, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #602 of 766
Just received a pair of these. First impressions aren't too promising. The AKG earphones that came with my Galaxy s8 sound much better. Clearer highs, impactful lows and cleaner mids. The Nobles have a duller probably more neutral sound.

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #605 of 766
@canthearyou That sucks that they aren't really wowing you. I know it took a while for me to warm up to them but everything kind of clicked once I put on some JVC spiral dots as the ear cushions. Not so much suggesting that spiral dots are your panacea, but be sure to try a variety of tips as I find a proper seal is truly key with most IEMs in general, though this model in particular moreso than others.

Oh, and happy belated birthday Dr. Moulton! Looks like we're birthday buddies! (28th was my 29th birthday)

Jul 1, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #607 of 766
@canthearyou That sucks that they aren't really wowing you. I know it took a while for me to warm up to them but everything kind of clicked once I put on some JVC spiral dots as the ear cushions. Not so much suggesting that spiral dots are your panacea, but be sure to try a variety of tips as I find a proper seal is truly key with most IEMs in general, though this model in particular moreso than others.

Oh, and happy belated birthday Dr. Moulton! Looks like we're birthday buddies! (28th was my 29th birthday)

I have some Comply tips on the way. For $30 I hope they do the trick. I'll give the JVC a try of those don't work for me.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #608 of 766
I was able to try out the Comply comfort tips for a few hours today. Still a very boring sound. I guess I'm not a fan of the Noble X. They will be listed for sale tomorrow.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #609 of 766
I was able to try out the Comply comfort tips for a few hours today. Still a very boring sound. I guess I'm not a fan of the Noble X. They will be listed for sale tomorrow.

Oh man, sorry to hear - they don't seem to be for you then. Of course I wonder, as I find them anything but boring, I find them very engaging and musical. Just yesterday listened in bed with them and was grinning a few times at a couple of songs as it sounded so nice. But I am running them on a special setup as well, HM901 with elfidelity balanced amp card, moon audio silver dragon balanced cable (got that used cheap) and it sounds awesome, and I do have quite a few IEMs in my rotation as you can see in my profile.

Anyhow, it happens sometimes, been there before, highly lauded IEMs just didn't do it for me. Every ear is different, as is every setup and musical taste.

But I am very glad I got my Noble X - really enjoying them.

Cheers.

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #610 of 766
Just got the X in a swap for a set of Fender FX-A6.

Based on memory, both running off the xDuoo x3 (rockboxed) --> Meier Quickstep, is that the X is more balanced, has better soundstage depth. Highs are more polite on the X, less fatiguing, but both are similarly detailed (maybe a slight slight edge to the X). The FX-A6 has better punch and quantity in bass. X is a little polite on the bass department, but the quality is really good. The mids are clearly, more forward on the X, Fender tends to have a little bit of bleed from the bass.

Soundstage height and width are about similar (maybe slight edge to Fenders), timbre goes to Fenders for me. Overall comparable earphones, and I think they belong in the same class, even though they have different technologies, but I would give the edge to the X overall, as I think the Fenders were a bit too much in the bass department (reason I wanted to sell them in the first place, and note that I own a Magnum v4, Stax 007 MKI and HE6, thinking all of them have enough or more than enough bass). and the balance of the X won me over.

$250 for the X is an absolute steal. I'd say probably the best value out there for IEMs in this price range.

Note: So far, all listening done on the double-flange silicon tips. Will try spinfits, and maybe some foam tips later on.

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #611 of 766
Love my Noble X's, probably the second most expensive iem I've ever bought and I have nothing to complain about for this entry level Noble (I will say the better the player the better they do sound):beerchug:

Noble Opy.JPG

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #613 of 766
IMG_0510.JPG

Just bought mint condition Noble X on Ebay and now I'm eagarly awaiting them to pair these with my QP1R. Hopefully I'll be no less excited than you. I also hope they would sound excellent with my old AK100 Mk2.

Hi!
Ok, extra for you I charged up my trusty AK100 Mk2 limited edition blue and give the Noble X a spin - it took a bit longer, got lost in music :)

Sounds excellent, with and without the boost function (small software gain control) usually I piggyback an RSA :The Predator as extra amp for that extra soundstage and dynamics but it's not necessary with the Noble X - sounds really nice directly form the AK100 Mk2.

Cheers!

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #614 of 766

Hi!
Ok, extra for you I charged up my trusty AK100 Mk2 limited edition blue and give the Noble X a spin - it took a bit longer, got lost in music :)

Sounds excellent, with and without the boost function (small software gain control) usually I piggyback an RSA :The Predator as extra amp for that extra soundstage and dynamics but it's not necessary with the Noble X - sounds really nice directly form the AK100 Mk2.

Cheers!
Thanks a lot for your effort to bring your Astell & Kern to life! I would use the Noble X without amping mostly on the go and your feedback is encouraging. Hopefully it will arrive this week and I will be able to test it also with my friend's Chord Mojo.

Sorry for the offtopic. What's the difference between limited and standard edition apart from the blue colour?

Jul 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #615 of 766
Thanks a lot for your effort to bring your Astell & Kern to life! I would use the Noble X without amping mostly on the go and your feedback is encouraging. Hopefully it will arrive this week and I will be able to test it also with my friend's Chord Mojo.

Sorry for the offtopic. What's the difference between limited and standard edition apart from the blue colour?

No worries. I think you are in for a treat.

IMHI the difference of the blue version and the standard was a "pro eq" setting and to be honest it doesn't do anything to me. And if I remember correctly that pro eq became available with the final firmware 2.42 for also non limited edition. So - besides the color - I don't think there is any difference.

But my memory could fail me.

Here is the thread from back then:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/astell-kern-ak-100-mk2.688879/page-5#post-11191066

I really still enjoy the ak100 the size and sound quality is still top notch.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back