Astell & Kern AK 100 Mk2
Nov 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #62 of 182
They're both great but if you're willing to spend the difference, I do prefer the AK100 MK2. Of course you should try and find them for yourself for an audition as they have different characters and are both close to right so opinion comes into play here. FW matters on these as well. Check the DX-90 threads for info on it's FWs.

For the AK100 Mk2, I like 2.1 the best but no DSD capability etc. and 2.3 is very similar. Things I don't care about. After 2.01 they get a little warmer and a hair less transparent after 2.1 but not in a bad way. It's always very clear. The AK100 MK2 is always musical and informative but it's also significantly more expensive than the DX90 which remains a stellar value.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #64 of 182
AK100 Mk2 Sapphire Blue Limited Edition just arrived....

Unboxing:

Surprise, surprise the firmware is 2.41 though the latest available firmware on the website is 2.40 for the AK100....

Blue looks pretty spectacular (if blue is your thing, that is :wink: here next to its older brother....

Listening now with my UE900s and yep, the 20 Ohm to 3 Ohm output impedance is indeed something you can distinguish....

Old AK100Mk1 will soon get a new home inside the Gloveaudio A1 and "Smurf" will be used standalone.

Cheers,
K

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #65 of 182
  AK100 Mk2 Sapphire Blue Limited Edition just arrived....

Unboxing:

Surprise, surprise the firmware is 2.41 though the latest available firmware on the website is 2.40 for the AK100....

Blue looks pretty spectacular (if blue is your thing, that is :wink: here next to its older brother....

Listening now with my UE900s and yep, the 20 Ohm to 3 Ohm output impedance is indeed something you can distinguish....

Old AK100Mk1 will soon get a new home inside the Gloveaudio A1 and "Smurf" will be used standalone.

Cheers,
K

Looks great. Is there a leather cover in the package ?

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #66 of 182

Looks great. Is there a leather cover in the package ?

No unfortunately not, it was mentioned in the description that, in order to keep the costs down, the leather cover was left out. There is only a cloth pouch in the package.

The price is 49,800 JPY which is around $418 US - so it's relatively easy to forgive the lacking leather cover. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
K

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #68 of 182
  Hi Koolpep,

could you please check if the 2.41 firmware is capable of handling umlauts in the database?

thx

Hi Ulmisch

I don't have any songs with Umlauts as the first character but please see yourself what I could find:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
K

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #70 of 182

No unfortunately not, it was mentioned in the description that, in order to keep the costs down, the leather cover was left out. There is only a cloth pouch in the package.

The price is 49,800 JPY which is around $418 US - so it's relatively easy to forgive the lacking leather cover. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
K

Thanks for your answer. 

So, how is SQ, i think you had first model AK100. Can you compare ?

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #71 of 182

Thanks for your answer. 

So, how is SQ, i think you had first model AK100. Can you compare ?

I can and I certainly will. But for that I need a bit of time to do it right. And time is the one thing I don't have enough of these days...

I hope I will get to it tomorrow and post my results here.

Cheers,
K

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #73 of 182
I accidentally have two AK100 MK2 Sapphire on its way to me from Amazon Japan 
blink.gif

After I bought the first set at 49800 yen, I received an email from the seller saying that they sold more than they had in stock so I should cancel my order with Amazon, which is what I did. 

Then I bought my second set at about 54000 yen, after which I received another email from Amazon Japan saying that my first set has shipped out 
confused_face.gif

Anyway, I now have 2 sets ETA to my forwarder, both due to arrive at the same time. Will probably sell 1 set locally at cost + shipping and keep the other.

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #75 of 182
  What is the difference between simply AK100 and AK100 II?

AK100 II
= completely new player here: http://www.astellnkern.com/eng/htm/ak100/ak100_2_feature01.asp

AK100 Mk1 & Mk2
= find them here: http://www.astellnkern.com click on "Other" then AK100
The only difference between he Mk1 and Mk2 were the output impedance was lowered from 20 Ohm to 3 Ohm

Open both pages and compare, different DACs and different setups/designs. The only thing being similar between them is that AK100 and AK100 II have single DAC setup and AK120 and AK120 II have dual DAC setup.

All are still for sale (except AK100 Mk1) and of course the later players are more expensive.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back