Massdrop x MEE audio Planamic In-Ear Monitors
Feb 8, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #166 of 179
I hate to even ask this here guys, but if anyone has a set of these they wouldn't mind selling or trading for please let me know; I'm having a tough time finding a pair.

Feb 8, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #169 of 179
Apr 8, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #170 of 179
Here is the current EQ I am running with the ES100 in balanced mode. My preference is mainly electronic music. I'm content with this setup as my "daily driver"

Attachments

• planamic.jpg
    planamic.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 7, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #172 of 179
Wondering how these compare to the Universal iems on drop? The drop branded ones not Noble. $50 price difference as of now.
These are a poor buy regardless of price.

Really hope drop releases an improved version.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #173 of 179
I thought they sounded alright actually. Just need to extend the treble a bit + lower the upper mids a tad. The bass was nice tho. But I agree. This was more like a concept test for them. Would like to see an improved version in the future.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #174 of 179
Stuck my head back in on a whim, because I’ve got a pair in the mail. It’s been good to read the thread and see how this plays out. I grabbed myself an impedance adapter when I bought my last planar IEM so I can try running the Planamic off my phone in high-gain mode and see what that does to the frequency response. If they ever make it to New Zealand, we‘ll see.

Aug 29, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #175 of 179
Stuck my head back in on a whim, because I’ve got a pair in the mail. It’s been good to read the thread and see how this plays out. I grabbed myself an impedance adapter when I bought my last planar IEM so I can try running the Planamic off my phone in high-gain mode and see what that does to the frequency response. If they ever make it to New Zealand, we‘ll see.

Let us know how it works out. They require a lot of juice to really "come-alive" so to speak.

Planars are usually non-reactive to impedance for the most part I believe - I don't think adding resistance is a good idea with an already low power source, but please share your results. Always interesting learning new things that might not make sense in one way or another.

Cheers - enjoy.

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #176 of 179
Let us know how it works out. They require a lot of juice to really "come-alive" so to speak.

Planars are usually non-reactive to impedance for the most part I believe - I don't think adding resistance is a good idea with an already low power source, but please share your results. Always interesting learning new things that might not make sense in one way or another.

Cheers - enjoy.

The impedance adapter is required to get the phone over the threshold to activate high-gain mode on my LG G7. LG still don’t let users select the gain mode for the Quad DAC system manually so getting the phone to sense a load greater than 50 Ohms is the only way to get max power out of it. With the impedance adapter I’m presenting a total of 86 Ohms to the phone, well within the power handling capabilities of said device. I’m also using MKI Spiral Dot tips, but only for the fit. They’re pushed right back on the spout of the IEM so that I can get the driver as close to my eardrum as possible with a good seal and without anything getting in the way.

I quite like these when the phone is on max power. I’ve been pretty treble-shy most of my life so the HF recess, while I can tell it’s there, is not a big problem to me. On my iPad I have to cut everything below 4kHz pretty drastically to even out the sound, but that’s without any decent amplification so not a huge surprise. Out of the phone though this is EDC material for me.

I haven’t tried them with my Icon HDP yet, I’m still trying to work out a comfortable way to sit at the desk where I’ve got it set up (we moved house and I’m still trying to organise some things) but If I’m getting acceptable performance out of my phone I’m optimistic about where a more powerful amplifier will lead. :)

Sep 14, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #177 of 179
Additional update; now that I'm back at my office I've been using the Planamic with the RME Babyface Pro I have at my desk. The Babyface seems to iron out the frequency response such that the accentuated bass and recessed treble are considerably more...normalised. Not sure how I feel about that, but it is a thing and it lines up with what @M3NTAL was saying about amplifier scaling.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #178 of 179
It’s a mimic planar so not surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back