Massdrop x MEE audio Planamic In-Ear Monitors
Dec 2, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #136 of 179
I freaking love these. Never knew I liked dark signatures so much.

@Colors review is spot-on. Dark with some sweet mids when they need it. mid-bass and treble are lousy but that's what make them so relaxing to listen to

LOVE them. I can imagine many people wouldn't though.

Pretty much. Good for late at night chilling and listening. Very warm.

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #137 of 179
I freaking love these. Never knew I liked dark signatures so much.

@Colors review is spot-on. Dark with some sweet mids when they need it. mid-bass and treble are lousy but that's what make them so relaxing to listen to

LOVE them. I can imagine many people wouldn't though.
I am intrigued by the quality of the sub-bass on these.

However the overall dark and very warm sound would be a definite no no for me.

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #138 of 179
I'm interested in this model.

How would you guys compare this to P1 and iBasso IT01?

I have both and they sound excellent. P1 sounds very close to HD650, SRH1840 headphones..
I wonder if this new planamic IEM offers something better than P1.

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #139 of 179
For those that have the Planamics, try listening to Only in Dreams - Weezer and let me know what you think.

Definitely one of the best I’ve heard on an IEM.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #140 of 179
I don't know how you can describe them as dark, very warm, chilled .... Ok there is a roll off in the highs but there is a noticable peak on high mids which is killing everything.
They are far from natural sounding and I would describe them as shouty. Timbres are simply wrong
The only genre they work well is electronic/house music, that's it

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #141 of 179
I'm the last one to receive the Planamics from B9. Only got today and using with my ES100. Going to pair with Shanling M0 and Sony 300a (arrives Monday). Initial impressions are ok. Pretty much on par with others. Good subbass, meh midbass, sweet mids, recessed treble. Good separation, never seems congested. Did some tip rolling, Jaybird Mediums and black KZ Starlines work nicely.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #143 of 179
Anyone notice changes with burn in?

I notice the sub-bass settling down a little, mid-bass is still a bit recessed but better and vocals smoothed a bit.

I'm still really impressed with the separation and speed of the IEM. Wish the mid-bass was a bit less smeared but still enjoying it.

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #144 of 179
Has anyone tried a pure silver cable with these? I don’t expect there would be a night-and-day difference but based on anecdotal evidence would that not go some way to evening out the bass boost and recessed treble?

Dec 30, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #146 of 179
Joined the drop! I also picked up the MEE 2.5mm balanced silver-plated cable because I want to run these balanced and I’m cool with how silver might brighten up the sound. But only because this IEM is tuned so far to the warm side! I’m hoping that it will pair well with the Shanling M5s and my desktop rig on days when it’s too hot to wear big cans on my head.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #147 of 179
Joined the drop! I also picked up the MEE 2.5mm balanced silver-plated cable because I want to run these balanced and I’m cool with how silver might brighten up the sound. But only because this IEM is tuned so far to the warm side! I’m hoping that it will pair well with the Shanling M5s and my desktop rig on days when it’s too hot to wear big cans on my head.

Having decided not to join the drop at this stage (decided a truly wireless pair would be a better way to spend my money as I’m cycling into work pretty much every day of the week now) I will be interested to hear how this turns out. I have said cable and I theorised the same as yourself so I’m very interested to see how that pans out :)

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #148 of 179
Really liking the pairing for N5ii. Just my suspicions but I think the Planamics sound pretty bad out of the iPhone X and needs a good DAP to power it despite the sensitivity claims.

Been a few months with it and things I like most about it are the clean background (very low distortion), imaging/separation is excellent and transients are particularly good (speed). Treble is opening up nicely with the burn in and the mid-bass seems to a little more forward too with the sub-bass calming down a bit. Really tempted to get the SPC MD upgrade cable as well to see what it can do with the treble a bit. Regardless, it was USD199 well spent for me.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #149 of 179
Having decided not to join the drop at this stage (decided a truly wireless pair would be a better way to spend my money as I’m cycling into work pretty much every day of the week now) I will be interested to hear how this turns out. I have said cable and I theorised the same as yourself so I’m very interested to see how that pans out :)

Oh man, I'd never go "airpods-level" wireless if I was biking or doing physical activities out in public. But that's just me!

After a few hours with the planamics barely burnt-in, I'm impressed with the driver's capabilities. I've got the SPC 2.5mm balanced cable and spiral dot tips into the Shanling M5s and my desktop rig. Firstly, I love that smooth sound. The bass is punchy and tight, and the treble, while recessed, is very smooth. The driver's coherency when it comes to imaging and soundstage makes these the best technicalities I've heard in an IEM from MEE. It's not actually planar fast, but it's faster than a lot of dynamic drivers I've heard.

I do think the tuning is a bit too forward on that 4k peak. If it were up to me, I wouldn't cut the midbass that much, I'd also roll off that 4k peak a bit closer to where 2k is at, and I'd boost the treble from 8k on up just a couple of dB to bring more air to the sound. Even just rolling off on that 4k peak a bit helps the tuning sound more refined, bringing that mid-treble transition closer in line to both the mids and the treble. The Shanling EQ doesn't really change the sound much, and/or the planamic doesn't take to EQing well either. Still, if MEE and Massdrop can experiment with other materials and designs, the planamic could have a pretty exciting future for more listening tastes.

Edit: A few more hours later, I'm just EQing out that 2-4k peak by 1-2dB now and leaving everything else alone. Honestly, it's sounding great. I like that the treble is relaxed. I could probably handle more treble without hurting my ears, but I don't really need it. They don't sound dark to me.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #150 of 179
I’m a believer in burn-in (especially for dynamic drivers, not so much BA) but out of all the IEMs I’ve owned, the burn in effects are the most prominent I’ve ever experienced in this IEM.

Paired with my XDP300R and compared to when I originally received it, the Planamics are now more resolving, treble is more forward, the sub-bass has calmed down significantly, the mid-bass is more clear and the vocals are more sharp. Compared to my ER4SR, I actually find the Planamics darker but equally as fast and resolving with the treble sitting back a little (which makes it a little easier for relaxed listening). The separation has improved even further with burn in giving a very black background and a great sense of space in the music. Imaging is stellar too, especially with rock, the source of each sound coming from where it should with no bleeding. It’s not as bright and lit as the EX1000 which has stadium lighting imaging (aka incredibly bright) but the Planamics’ imaging would be similar to a dimly lit jazz stage which is to say, it represents the mood well and does not try to over light it.

The only drawback I see is as the previous poster mentioned is there’s a peak which makes the guitar somewhat more forward and overpowers the rest of the music sometimes.

Maybe @CEE TEE can comment on the burn in effects also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back