Massdrop x Liquid Carbon X Discussion
Jan 21, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #484 of 491
I'm late, but I decided to build up a small & affordable desktop set up to use in my office with my Andromeda.
So I bought a DAC(Modius, I don't think about a better option) and 3 amps: Magnius, AAA 789 & Carbon X.
I don't ear that much of a difference between all 3 to be honest, not with my Andromeda at least, the differences seem slightly more evident with my T8ie MK2 (DD) but what impressed me the most is how silent is the Carbon X... that's crazy : 0 background noise with Andromeda. Nada. Rien. Just silence. Knowing how these Campfire are sensitive it's a miracle.
AAA 789 is also very quiet, but it takes RFI from my phone :/
For less than USD200, I'm more than happy !

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #485 of 491
Is this amp perfect? No but it is at a price that makes it a perfect fit. It has a balanced design that allows for it to scale with someone who is looking to upgrade cables and power output while using balanced connections. For instance I have an IEMagni but have accrued balanced cables from online deals so I use them with this amp. For this amp I've definitely gotten more than a dollar an hour of listening time, I got it for a steal on ebay at 90$ with shipping so not only is it a good overall amp it will probably sell for a profit. The center image on it and power aren't anything to write home about but at this price point its a stepping stone to something like a 500$ amp, I see this as a lower tier warm 789 and the next step in progression is actually going past the 789.

Dec 22, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #487 of 491
Just make sure it matches the spec of what you've currently got and it should be good to go. Hopeful it is just the power adapter.

Dec 24, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #488 of 491
I'm late, but I decided to build up a small & affordable desktop set up to use in my office with my Andromeda.
So I bought a DAC(Modius, I don't think about a better option) and 3 amps: Magnius, AAA 789 & Carbon X.
I don't ear that much of a difference between all 3 to be honest, not with my Andromeda at least, the differences seem slightly more evident with my T8ie MK2 (DD) but what impressed me the most is how silent is the Carbon X... that's crazy : 0 background noise with Andromeda. Nada. Rien. Just silence. Knowing how these Campfire are sensitive it's a miracle.
AAA 789 is also very quiet, but it takes RFI from my phone :/
For less than USD200, I'm more than happy !

This is one very specific reason the LCX is special. Won't find another amp that can do this at the price.

Apr 9, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #489 of 491
Anyone know if this unit will only draw the 30v it needs ? I ask cause I’m wondering if using a 36v/1.25a brick would be ok to use.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #491 of 491
I was just wondering, cause most devices are smart these days and will only draw what it needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back