MassDrop x Hifiman RE00: Reincarnation of the Legend - Impression and Discussion
Sep 26, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #16 of 111
I just got my re00 today, pretty impressed so far. One thing that really surprised me was that they actually fit my ears. I bought them just to try, thinking that it would be another pair of iem's that don't fit... been in for about 45min right now with out having to push them back in
etysmile.gif
 ​ They come with two sets of tips, bi-flange(attached from factory)  and regular looking silicone tips. The bi-flange ones wouldn't stay in so I tired the round silicone ones, They did seem to have a slightly different sound but that could have been a result of the poor seal.

The re00 sound has plenty of treble energy with emphasis on the upper mids too. The lower half of the spectrum is present but seems just a little pushed back. The upper half of the spectrum reminds me of my beyer t90(disclosure-I use a front wave filter mod to calm the treble of my t90), fast and full of detail. They also seem less forgiving of poorly recorded track than most other cans I have, but put good in get good out. The lower mids are clear and quick when given a chance to shine. The issue is that it doesn't take a lot for the higher frequencies to steal the spotlight. There is less bass quantity than I usually like but it does have a mid bass thump when it is really called for. To my ears the bass seems to roll off significantly around 80hz.

Setup- iPod touch w/ Fiio E17. I have been using new and old rock country rap edm thus far. Rock seems to fit the sound of the re00 best from what I have listened to(pc in the air tonight =
biggrin.gif
​). country and rap/hiphop really vary track to track, some sound amazing others awful depending on how bright the recording is. Edm was a lackluster performance with the re00. The treble/bass ratio of most edm recordings combine with the lack of sub bass presence made for a harsh fatiguing experience.

For $35 I am really happy with this set.

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #17 of 111
Liking the RE00 so far.  I'm mostly using it with the conform super isolating tips with ear wax guard, which are the bassiest, most treble reducing of the conform tips, and it seems to be a good match.  Will rotate some other tips with it over the next few weeks, but really, these are the tips that I bought it for, as I wanted a super isolating relatively cheap IEM for some upcoming trips.  I hate the idea of taking, and potentially losing, $700-$2000 custom molded IEMs on international trips, so I wanted something that could take one of the super isolating foam tips, which tend to be bassier/roll off some treble, and sound pretty neutral thereafter.  The RE00 fit that bill.  

Some of the nicest, smoothest vocals I've heard out of a universal IEM.  Bass is lacking.  No way around that.  It's not awful, but it's certainly less bass than neutral.  Mids are sublime.  Treble is fine.  It doesn't take my breath away with extension, but it also doesn't offend in the treble.  

Very good dynamics, punchy without being obnoxious.

Soundstage is a little wonky.  It's very hard left/right/center.  Left and right are decently wide, and center is right in front of your face, creating a very disconnected soundstage.  It's the normal headphone disconnected soundstage, taken to an extreme.  To some this will sound wide, to me it just sounds weird.  If you have crossfeed available in your system, definitely use it with these.

For the price I find the midrange resolution great.  Bass resolution is fine as well, but is hard to hear, due to the lowered bass levels.  What I will say about the bass, while it's overall lowered, it is flat, in that it does have decent sub bass extension.  The very lower midrange is also a bit sucked out. While it sounds very smooth, it does lack some body.   Treble resolution is a bit lacking, but that may be the tips I am using.  I will report back after I do some tip rolling.  

The very good midrange resolution means that it scales up fairly well with good amps and DACs.  It doesn't need the power of an amp very much (I was under half power on my iPhone), but does, I think improve with a cleaner amp/DAC.  Sounded great out of my m9XX.  Amping didn't change or improve the tonal balance.  No magic increase in bass.  But I wasn't expecting that out of a neutral amp/DAC like the m9XX.  But they do definitely sound great straight out of the iPhone too.  Haven't had a chance to try them with the dragonfly red yet, 

Isolation with these tips is very, very good.  To me isolation in universal IEMs depends more on the tips than anything, but it's at least worth mentioning, I guess.

Cable has virtually no microphonics, which is a big plus for me.  It also seems to be a very robust build quality overall, which was the big criticism of its predecessor, these feel very solid.  I feel like these will take a lot of abuse and keep on ticking.  I hate angle terminations, but that's HiFiMan's thing, shrug.  I may eventually reterminate.  Cable kinks pretty easily, but I think/hope that goes away over time.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #18 of 111
I am enjoying these IEMs so far. But the sound signature works for me. I'd agree with the above description about the great vocals and mids, lacking bass and treble being fine. As well as the soundstage.

I found the the supplied double flange tips fit me like a glove and provide really good isolation.

My only major disappointment is the cable. I hate how easily it tangles and get kinks. Also the promise of a carrying case on Massdrop and one not being supplied is a little disappointing but I had order a bunch of Aliexpress so it wasn't a big deal for me. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #19 of 111
My RE00 arrived yesterday and I gave them a good listen for about an hour.  I would say they are pleasant to listen to but hardly worth the wait.  For $35 I didn't expect much but with so many glowing reviews on the lineage, I thought they may something special, they are not.  
Cons:  Really hard to physically tell left unit from right, bass is light, weak display of channel separation.  
Pros:  Laid back and smooth with good overall sound.  

I especially liked them on acoustic singer songwriter recordings and hated them on more complex music.  I'd say they are worth every penny of $35 but hardly competition for a $100 set. If you are a fan of the single driver full range loudspeaker, they may be for you as I have similar feelings of those.

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #20 of 111
  My RE00 arrived yesterday and I gave them a good listen for about an hour.  I would say they are pleasant to listen to but hardly worth the wait.  For $35 I didn't expect much but with so many glowing reviews on the lineage, I thought they may something special, they are not.  
Cons:  Really hard to physically tell left unit from right, bass is light, weak display of channel separation.  
Pros:  Laid back and smooth with good overall sound.  

I especially liked them on acoustic singer songwriter recordings and hated them on more complex music.  I'd say they are worth every penny of $35 but hardly competition for a $100 set. If you are a fan of the single driver full range loudspeaker, they may be for you as I have similar feelings of those.

I agree completely. I feel like they are solid for the price, but they are not competitive for higher tier IEMs. I typically don't use IEMs with mics, but I feel like these could be used more often for me if these had one. They would be good commuting headphones and good headphones for conference calls. 

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #21 of 111
My impressions so far is the RE00 is a decent vocals IEM with just enough bass to do decent justice to Portishead, which is a must for my everyday listening of late. For the price, initially I'm quite enamoured with them, and will sit down soon to really compare them to RE0 & REZERO. The vocals feel decently forward and detailed, putting them probably behind the Shozy Cygnus, but not by much. I'm curious how I'll feel with more listening.

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #22 of 111
My impressions so far is the RE00 is a decent vocals IEM with just enough bass to do decent justice to Portishead, which is a must for my everyday listening of late. For the price, initially I'm quite enamoured with them, and will sit down soon to really compare them to RE0 & REZERO. The vocals feel decently forward and detailed, putting them probably behind the Shozy Cygnus, but not by much. I'm curious how I'll feel with more listening.

I'll be waiting for your comparison between RE-0.

Sep 28, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #23 of 111
The RE-00's are a stunner as I find that I prefer them to my RE-600's!  You give up a tiny amount of bass volume for a more coherent and detailed sound at 3/20 the price.  RE-600 need more treble to be neutral, and are weirdly boomy to my ears with a bit much midbass, though nothing like a basshead iem.  I've not gone crazy with ABX testing nor have I devoted much time to that comparison, because the HE350's are getting most of my listening time, so ymmv.  I would compare them to the RE-400's, but those finally died completely and I like the RE-00 more anyway.  I also prefer them to my Fiio EX-1/Dunu Titan 1.  The RE-00 are the spitting sonic image of the RE-ZERO's I used to own, before they fatally failed. 

I did a bit of tip rolling with the RE-00, having spare RE-ZERO, RE-400, and RE-600 tips as well as Xcessor brand triple flanges tips and I find that I like the Xcessor triple-flange tips far more than any others, because those tips improved bass AND treble extension without any sacrifice in detail, balance/neutrality or mids.  Great tips I end up using on every iem I've tried them with, including EX-1, RE-600, RE-400, etc.: (https://www.amazon.com/Xcessor-Replacement-Silicone-Compatible-Headphone/dp/B008NOHPO4/ref=pd_sim_23_2/152-3720603-3935166?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008NOHPO4&pd_rd_r=30GRQ3NPAMV5MXNYPFBR&pd_rd_w=rZBDL&pd_rd_wg=HJpfF&psc=1&refRID=30GRQ3NPAMV5MXNYPFBR)

Sep 28, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #24 of 111
The RE-00 are the spitting sonic image of the RE-ZERO's I used to own, before they fatally failed. 

This is exactly what I was hoping for! I hope I agree. I still have a pair of fully functioning RE-Zero, so I will be comparing them. I bought these hoping they would sound the same and be a backup for my RE-Zero that I love so much and always worry about.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #25 of 111
@hanskey Yep, after getting a chance to really listen to the two side by side, these are almost identical to the RE-ZERO.  The only real difference between the RE-ZERO & RE00 I can currently discern is the lack of balanced in the RE00, and well, also the incredible difference in availability.  I'd currently suggest to anyone hunting for an RE-ZERO to strongly consider the RE00 as substitute while you hunt.

@ER4S Compared to the RE0, the RE00 bass is more forward, leaving the RE0 feeling more neutral in presentation.  I'd put the quality of the RE0 vocals above the RE00 for now, but this is all very initial impressions, and I wouldn't put it above by much at all.  I will say I prefer the RE00 balancing for a more fun presentation.  By comparison, I'm remembering just why the RE0 was used as a neutral baseline by some.  I also currently don't feel the RE00's detail keeps up with the RE0, but this isn't a difference of leaps and bounds, just a matter of not quite there.  This could also be a misinterpretation due to the not as neutral balancing of the RE00.  Treble also feels to be superior on the RE0, but could be skewed due to balancing as well.  So if I had to judge, from a technical standpoint I'd argue the RE0 is superior, but more time on the RE00 very well might change that.  Taste-wise, I'm preferring the RE00 for what I listen to, as it feels to be quite capable of handling most music I listen to, where the RE0 can be a little too neutral for some of what I listen to.  I'll try to answer any other questions you might have.

Female vocals are just lovely for something this inexpensive, especially considering the small refund placing the actual price at $31.50.  Instrumental/orchestral music also sounds decent.  While listening to something with a more bass-centric sound like Trip Hop, I really enjoyed the RE00 with a small boost to bass (+4) on a rockboxed xDuoo X3.  For those in the Chinese/Asian thread, this very well might be quite competitive in the $30 range.

Sep 30, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #26 of 111
Just received my RE00 today and my overall impression has been favorable so far paired with the Sony hybrid tips....both the stock HifiMan tips just don't fit well on my ears. My sound impression so far is that the RE00 possess neutral lows, clear and detailed mids to high mids and smooth yet reasonably extended treble. My only complaint is the sound stage which is a little narrower for my liking and the sound at high volume seems a little strained when compared to the LG Quadbeat 3 tuned by AKG edition ($27) paired with the Sony MH1 tips. In this respect, the LG QB3 AKG has a slightly wider sound stage and the transient response is a little more dynamic.

To my surprise, even though the RE00's lows are fairly neutral, I can still hear the sub frequencies below 40Hz whenever the song calls for it although slightly more recessed than the LG Quadbeat 3 AKG edition. As much as I enjoy the LG QB3 AKG, I'll definitely be reaching for the RE00 for vocal tracks but I can't say that it completely destroys the LG QB3 AKG. For general on the go day to day use, I'll still stick to my LG QB3 AKG (paired with the Sony MH1 tips) due to it's slightly better efficiency and slightly more extended lows and highs with good mids to high mids. On top of that the LG QB3 AKG comes with 3 buttons remote which is perfect for my smart phone usage.

My final conclusion, RE00 is a great IEM for the asking price but many other IEMs have already caught up in the game. It's high time for HifiMan to revamp their IEM lineup to stay on top 
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #27 of 111
Glad I'm not the only one hearing this as a rebirth of the RE-ZERO.

They could've marketed as such, so I'd have known to buy more than one!

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #28 of 111
I knew I should've gotten at least 2 pairs! In any case, the drop has been requested by 1300 people so it should get another go. Also, there are some people that are selling their unit so..

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #29 of 111
I knew I should've gotten at least 2 pairs! In any case, the drop has been requested by 1300 people so it should get another go. Also, there are some people that are selling their unit so..

Who are they? Can you please share the link? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back