MassDrop x Hifiman RE00: Reincarnation of the Legend - Impression and Discussion
Jun 10, 2016 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 111

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
If I recall correctly, I am the first person to write an review of the original Hifiman RE0 way back in 2008. I was mightily impressed back then and the RE0 has served as my reference and benchmark ever since, and probably one of the most popular dynamic IEM among HF'er of its time. Even so, it was ultimately phased out by Hifiman a few years ago and eventually the more neutral and detailed sound signature that dominated Hifiman's line-up of the time is also slowly replaced by the current richer, slightly warmish sound of the RE400 / RE600 line-up. As a big RE0 fans, I am thrilled to learn that MassDrop has decided to partner up with Hifiman to bring back the RE0 in the form of RE00. I want to give a big thanks to @CEE TEE for giving me the chance to listen to the new RE00 before the (*first drop) shipping date in August so I'll have the chance to tell you guy this: Go to MassDrop and request it! It will definitely worth your while, especially consider the low price just under $40.

Here is the new RE00:
RE00-01.jpg

RE00-02.jpg

The cable is fabric sleeved from the Y-splitter and down with a fairly robust 3.5mm plug that resembles the newer RE400/RE600 line-up

RE00-03.jpg

RE00-04.jpg

RE0 on the left and RE00 on the right. Nozzle is slightly longer on the RE00 but otherwise very similar design between the two.

So how does the two stack up against each other? Here is the measurement:

RE00%20comparison.png

Here you can see the two are not identical, but still very similar in FR curve. If you haven't listened to RE0 in a very long time, I'll bet you might not be able to tell the difference in brief listening. RE00, in all essence, has retained the original neutral and detailed sound signature of RE0. If anything, I'll say there is a very small hint of richness / thickness on RE00 that is not found on the original RE0. Perhaps there is a tiny bit of DNA from the RE400 / RE600 line-up getting into the new RE00 driver?

On the other hand, what you didn't see on this graph above is that I have re-centered the RE00's FR curve over RE0's FR curve at 1kHz in order to give you a more direct comparison between the two curves. The actual measurement shows that the RE00 is about 4dB louder overall, which means it has a more sensitive driver than the old RE0.

RE0%20imp.png

RE00%20imp.png

The impedance curves show that the new RE00 is also slightly higher in impedance than the old RE0, but not by much.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 111
Pity the massdrop is no longer active, if i would have known this before maybe i would have snatched a pair. Excellent write up, thanks.

Just request it. Once enough people request it, there will be another drop. For that kind of price there is really nothing to lose and everything to gain. Even at today's standard, the RE0 (and RE00 of course) is still an incredible value in the sub-$100 category.

Jul 10, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 111
have never experienced anything from hifiman...already have the sony 7550 and incoming flc 8s and ve monks plus.
so i'm closing shop for a while...if anything i can just  keep them as a backup...esp for that price.

heard they're not as bottom ended as some iems so will be interesting for a listen.
i love my sony 7550 as they're sooo detailed and pretty balanced...but have fab bass slam, too
(such that many bassheads seal the vents lol)

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 111
Subscribed. .

Sep 26, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #8 of 111
I got my RE-00 on Friday.  I never owned the original, but my impression of the RE-00 is really favorable so far.  I think that "neutral with a touch of richness" describes well what I heard so far.  I think they are definitely worth the small asking price.  I would also point out that they only come with two sets of tips in total, no other accessories.  If none of the included tips fit you, that could be very annoying.

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 111
Hopefully mine will be here in a week or so
biggrin.gif

edit: might be a good idea to pick up the RE400 $15 accessories pack from Hifiman, which gives you the replacement filters as well as a couple of eartips. Personally, I kind of prefer Sony Hybrid on my RE00 for now.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #10 of 111
Hopefully mine will be here in a week or so :D  

edit: might be a good idea to pick up the RE400 $15 accessories pack from Hifiman, which gives you the replacement filters as well as a couple of eartips. Personally, I kind of prefer Sony Hybrid on my RE00 for now.

@ClieOS, I find the JVC Spiral Dots better on my RE0 giving a little bit warmth to the sound without touching to the amazing treble.

Sep 26, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #11 of 111
if anyone here changed his mind about them and wants to sell them , pm me

i have been a hfm fan since 2010 and would like to checn these out

cheers

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 111
just checked the massdrop page comments and the general feeling is not good , in fact it's very negative....

both sound-wise and in that there is no carrying case , as promised

ouch

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 111
just checked the massdrop page comments and the general feeling is not good , in fact it's very negative....

both sound-wise and in that there is no carrying case , as promised

ouch

My pair came on Friday. I guess they aren't bad for the price, but I prefer the Meze 12 Classics which are slightly more expensive but under 100 USD. I hate the stock tips with the RE and use spiral dots.

Sep 26, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 111
if anyone here changed his mind about them and wants to sell them , pm me

i have been a hfm fan since 2010 and would like to checn these out

cheers

Me too :)

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 111
@ClieOS, I find the JVC Spiral Dots better on my RE0 giving a little bit warmth to the sound without touching to the amazing treble.

For whatever odd reason, none of my JVC IEM seems to come with Spiral Dots so I don't have any to try. Hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back