Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Jun 21, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #196 of 463
Did a bass-test today and noticed that the right driver buzzes loudly around 50-100 Hz when they aren't on my head. Might want to run a bass-shaker test if you haven't already just to be sure. Not sure if this is normal.

Contacting Hifiman and we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #197 of 463
Just got mine last night. Tried a few extreme bass tests on youtube and "Why So Serious" as loud as I could handle briefly and only got some distortion at volumes much higher than I'd ever listen to. The Elex under the same conditions is a crackling mess in comparison. I'm seem to have lucked out on my pair in this regard.

Jun 22, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #198 of 463
Just got mine last night. Tried a few extreme bass tests on youtube and "Why So Serious" as loud as I could handle briefly and only got some distortion at volumes much higher than I'd ever listen to. The Elex under the same conditions is a crackling mess in comparison. I'm seem to have lucked out on my pair in this regard.

The buzz is very noticeable if you take the headphones off. But I'm not hearing anything wrong with them on my head.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #200 of 463
No rattle on this side - might yours be a defective unit ?

Yes, probably. And I'm going through the warranty process. I just wanted to point it out here because it was basically impossible to tell anything was wrong until I did the test, and so others might be in the same situation.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #201 of 463
Been listening to mine a few days now and the only other headphones i have are the HEX V2 as i got these as a backup pair or travel pair as my HEX V2 are too valuable to take on long distances. Honestly it's clear this headphone in terms of sound signature was designed to mimic the HEX v2 which in my opinion is a great move as it's the best headphone i ever heard. Are these as good as the HEX v2? So far i've been only listening this weekend to compare them and at the beginning i was convinced the HEX V2 had more detail and a larger soundstage with better instrument separation. I've been trying to A,B them when i compare but the XX need SLIGHTLY more power so making sure volume was equal for both comparisons was difficult.

The more equal the volume the less of a difference i'm hearing between these two and i'm very happy with that, there may be minuscule differences that i'm hearing such as the HEX v2 being slightly more open but this could be anything to a different headband, lack of break in or even slight volume differences etc but nothing that really sets these apart. To me they are 99% identical and perhaps if the cable, headband was the same and with more accurate volume testing they would be 100%. This is undoubtedly the best sounding headphone mass drop have created in my opinion. The XX is about 95% as comfortable as the HEX V2 due to the headband so after the HEX V2 they are the most comfortable i have worn. The cable is garbage and is kinking constantly so will get a new one. The reality is i enjoy these headphones just as much as each other and thats the main thing. I can't say i prefer one over the other as they are the same to me. I also love that the cables are 3.5mm instead of 2.5mm on the HEX V2 so easier to replace

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #202 of 463
What I did forget to mention is that the rattle is Much more noticeable if you take the headphones off. They right driver only sound a little wrong (compared to the left) when on my head, but the second you left the pad off your ear, the rattle becomes much louder. It's really an extreme test for the driver, and they sound completely awesome in music.

When mine are on my head they sound perfect but when i lift both ear pads off my ear the right side does rattle a bit compared to the left. I bass tested it however with both earpads fully on and there was no rattle which is something i got with my Sundara's which fortunately went away in time

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #205 of 463
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent carry case for these?
Seems like a lot of people are using this as their back up/ travel headphones, so I am sure someone else has a better idea, but just off a google search I found these, https://www.mrspeakers.com/review/product/list/id/216/category/38/.
The top review is some one with the HEX v2 saying it fits really well so that is probably a good sign. I don't know if I personally like the burgundy color.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #206 of 463
The Mr Speakers case does fit the HEX V2. I have it. Whether or not it will fit the XX, with it’s different headband, I do not know.

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #208 of 463
Well its a smaller headband right? Would you be concerned that it would wobble around?
Since it is a tight fit to begin with there is no wobble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back