Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Jul 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #226 of 463
I bought my HEX V2 which are essentially the same as the XX with MAYBE very minor differences. I couldn't hear it, so anyway comparing the HEX V2 and Sundara i was blown away by how much better the HEX V2/XX sound. I bought my Massdrop XX after i sold the Sundara's I remember buying the Sundara's blindly without hearing them based on people's reviews which i never done before and compared them to my HE 4XX and while i did like the more airy soundstage they just lacked that energy the 4XX had especially in the bass department. They did imaging very well, but i just found music more fun sounding with the 4XX which i didn't want to admit at the time.

You say the Sundara's were more forward sounding, is that because you felt the need to put the volume way up as i found them to be quite laid back and more distant which i feel was done to highlight their airiness, smoothness and impressive imaging?? The only area i feel the Sundara's lacked compared to the 4XX is in energy and bass response. Anyway i was anxious about spending $1280 NZ another pair of headphones i never tried whenever the Sundara's improved on some aspects but lacked in others. I was worried the HEX V2 would be the same but as soon as i put them on and played some house music i was in WOW mode.

They have PLENTY of energy in the sub bass and mid bass, what i would describe as neutral as they output what each genre accurately requires. Some would call them boosted here but i disagree, they punch just as they should. The best bass i ever heard in a headphone because it is clean, powerful and snappy and doesn't bleed into the mids, essentially a much better 400i/4XX. I feel if you like the 4XX you'll LOVE the XX, the XX just does everything better. Bigger soundstage, smoother, better imaging and extremely comfortable to wear. My experience of the Sundara's was strange because i listened to them for almost a year really liking them but as soon as i got my HEX V2 and left them in the back for a few weeks i never went back to them until i was about to sell them. I remember listening to them many weeks later just as i had them up for sale and really disliking them, like i felt i couldn't enjoy them at all, everything through them felt quite boring, they sounded quite distant, the HEX V2/XX has more presence and energy while at the same time still feeling quite airy, think of a nightclub environment. This was obviously after listening to the HEX V2 for several weeks which i had become accustomed to. I feel the HEX V2 carry on the line of the 400i/4xx,560 and improve on them so if you enjoy these headphones then you'll love the XX. The Sundara's were so different to these headphones. Not that it's a bad thing but i just needed at least the same energy i was used to with the 400i and 4XX and the HEX V2 improved on all of that. The Sundara's are for those after quite a different sound signature which i myself still enjoyed but wasn't what i was after but still beats ALL the other competition at this price point based on what it does well. Honestly after hearing quite a few headphones by the competition the only competitor Hifiman has in it's price range $1000 and below is itself. I'm still curious to hear the LCDC2 though

The XX at $600 US is the best value for a headphone that exists right now, it's endgame material as you'll have to spend thousands to get better, the ONLY issue i can say that exists with the HEX V2/XX is that it has that piercing peak at times especially with vocals, you''ll notice it as the vocals climb higher and higher and just pierce before rolling off forcing you to turn the volume down to a less energetic stage, it happens rarely but if Hifiman can fix this by having the peak resolved in a smoother way then it would be such an improvment. I would buy another an upgraded headphone for that issue to be resolved alone
Just wow. I really appreciated the time and effort for your reply. You just sold a new edition xx :). I really like the he4xx the Sundara not so much. Yesterday I sold the Sundara. Late night I gave them another try before parting with them. I lowered the volumen and start playing some songs. For a moment I was having regrets. So I decide to put my dt880. After A/B them for 1h, I knew why I post the Sundara for sale. I find the dt880 more enjoyable.
The Sundara really give the boost of energy in the morning listening sessions with coffee. That was the only time of the day I like them.
But no means I am saying the Sundara is bad, the amount of detail and fast driver( clean bass :wink: ). Is the best I have tried on headphones ( under 350$). But thy are not for me. For my personal taste.
Thank you again for your reply.

Jul 13, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #227 of 463
The XX at $600 US is the best value for a headphone that exists right now, it's endgame material as you'll have to spend thousands to get better......

I agree 100% with everything Paddy said. I had Sundara and did not like it at all just as he said. XX is another animal completely and a freaking bargain. Best headphones I've ever heard. BUT, I have not noticed any treble problem at all. Some recordings sound like crap because they were recorded like crap--that's true.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #228 of 463
Full review of my XX pair is out. I'm surprised by the intimate soundstage comments. I don't have that experience at all. They're on par with the HD700 and HD820 in terms of soundstage for me. I've not heard a ton of headphones, but they do (to me) have a warmer sound than those 2, a bit like the 6XX but with a much larger soundstage. I think these are the ones which should have been marketed as a Super 6XX, not the Elex, which to me isn't anything like the 6XX.

Jul 18, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #229 of 463
Full review of my XX pair is out. I'm surprised by the intimate soundstage comments. I don't have that experience at all. They're on par with the HD700 and HD820 in terms of soundstage for me. I've not heard a ton of headphones, but they do (to me) have a warmer sound than those 2, a bit like the 6XX but with a much larger soundstage. I think these are the ones which should have been marketed as a Super 6XX, not the Elex, which to me isn't anything like the 6XX.

My pair comes tomorrow. I can't wait to hear them and compare them to my HE560, HE4xx, HD600 and Elex. I will give them a full review on my channel and post some thoughts and a written review here.

Jul 18, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #230 of 463
My pair comes tomorrow. I can't wait to hear them and compare them to my HE560, HE4xx, HD600 and Elex. I will give them a full review on my channel and post some thoughts and a written review here.

I don't know about the Elex but it's gonna blow the others away! Give them time to break in. You can listen to them for hours without fatigue unlike Elex which is so dynamic that it's too much. With the XX, it seems like you can turn the volume up and up and up and it doesn't hurt your ears.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #231 of 463
I don't know about the Elex but it's gonna blow the others away! Give them time to break in. You can listen to them for hours without fatigue unlike Elex which is so dynamic that it's too much.
Thank you for the information about blowing away the others, just adds to the excitement.
I will definitely give them time to break/burn/adjust in. Yeah the Elex can be a little too exciting at times.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #233 of 463
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #234 of 463
Here you go:

Very good comparison video. Much better than the XX review you did by itself. Thank you for that balanced perspective!

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #235 of 463
Very good comparison video. Much better than the XX review you did by itself. Thank you for that balanced perspective!
That he did you mean. The headphones are mine. The review is his. I think the Anandas were sent in too and he owns the Arya.

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #236 of 463
Can anyone comment for me on the treble on these? I’m interested, but the HE4xx that I got from Massdrop were too bright for my ears—not painful like some headphones, but they definitely were fatiguing to me pretty quickly. Also I’m concerned that Massdrop seems to sacrifice some quality in their adaptations of headphones (the HD6xx’s feel a bit cheap to me) and I’d like to know if people think these will last for years (or whether I should go with something completely different).

Jul 19, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #237 of 463
Can anyone comment for me on the treble on these? I’m interested, but the HE4xx that I got from Massdrop were too bright for my ears—not painful like some headphones, but they definitely were fatiguing to me pretty quickly. Also I’m concerned that Massdrop seems to sacrifice some quality in their adaptations of headphones (the HD6xx’s feel a bit cheap to me) and I’d like to know if people think these will last for years (or whether I should go with something completely different).
Better treble than HE4XX for sure. Smoother

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #238 of 463
I just got in a lovely 4hr listening session with the Hifiman Edition XX. Even though I've only had them for a day, I am already in love

Currently using the Focal Elex cables. I also used the HE560 cables. I refuse to use that "stock" cable that was tossed in the box by mistake at the warehouse.

I am using the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 788 balanced. Also the Geshelli Labs Enog 2 Pro and Archel Pro stack.

Soundwise the Edition XX is just glorious. Bass is extended well, deep and impactful but under control and separation and tone are spot on. Mids are wonderfully displayed with a step back but full sound that is intimate. Mids are clean and clear, have timbre that is sweet and true, I don't hear any graininess unless it is in the recording. Treble has amazing extension that can soar with the best but has a laid-back approach that keeps the sibilance away but allows for some edginess and crispness. Soundstage is wide but also intimate and engaging. Sounds swirl around the head in an amazing way that just can't be explained at the moment except with wow. Imaging is good but does seem to lack clarity at times. Details are plentiful and presented well.

I will post impressions on my YT channel along with a full review in the future. I can't wait to get more listening time with the Hifiman Edition XX

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #239 of 463
I just got in a lovely 4hr listening session with the Hifiman Edition XX. Even though I've only had them for a day, I am already in love

Currently using the Focal Elex cables. I also used the HE560 cables. I refuse to use that "stock" cable that was tossed in the box by mistake at the warehouse.

I am using the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 788 balanced. Also the Geshelli Labs Enog 2 Pro and Archel Pro stack.

Soundwise the Edition XX is just glorious. Bass is extended well, deep and impactful but under control and separation and tone are spot on. Mids are wonderfully displayed with a step back but full sound that is intimate. Mids are clean and clear, have timbre that is sweet and true, I don't hear any graininess unless it is in the recording. Treble has amazing extension that can soar with the best but has a laid-back approach that keeps the sibilance away but allows for some edginess and crispness. Soundstage is wide but also intimate and engaging. Sounds swirl around the head in an amazing way that just can't be explained at the moment except with wow. Imaging is good but does seem to lack clarity at times. Details are plentiful and presented well.

I will post impressions on my YT channel along with a full review in the future. I can't wait to get more listening time with the Hifiman Edition XX

I am so happy for you David! I could not have said it better myself. I've listened for hours and found nothing....I mean nothing objectionable. Everything is just "right". It's a huge leap up from HE4XX isn't it? How do you like it vs. the Elex? Some have called it a super HD650 and I'd say that's about a spot on description too. It's a relaxing listen without spilling over into analytical.... and yet there is a little bit of analytical to it too. It's all just nice, nice, nice.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #240 of 463
I am so happy for you David! I could not have said it better myself. I've listened for hours and found nothing....I mean nothing objectionable. Everything is just "right". It's a huge leap up from HE4XX isn't it? How do you like it vs. the Elex? Some have called it a super HD650 and I'd say that's about a spot on description too. It's a relaxing listen without spilling over into analytical.... and yet there is a little bit of analytical to it too. It's all just nice, nice, nice.
Huge leap from the 4xx and a smaller leap from the HE560.

In regards to the Elex, I haven't done a direct comparison yet. I would say that the Elex is more energetic and analytical but not as musical. But I will not say that with 100% confidence without doing a direct comparison.

Super HD650 hmm maybe. I didn't really care for the HD650 as I prefer the HD600. As I was listening I couldn't help but think that they are similar to the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Open with a wider soundstage and better treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back