Massdrop x Grace Design SDAC - a budget beast
Jan 26, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #151 of 180
Personally I find the Modi Multibit to be the superior DAC, and I do find it to be more holographic with a better defined sense of space and imaging. I am one of those people who find that R2R/multibit sounds overall more realistic with better weight and body. That said, the SDAC is easily one of the most enjoyable D/S DACs I've ever heard, and is cheap as hell to boot. One of the things that I love about it is that it really does nothing wrong. Maybe it is not the most resolving, or 3D, or refined DAC on the market, but it produces a very full, clear, coherent, and extended sound just like a good DAC should.

What impresses me the most about it is the lack of digital artifacts in the treble with a straight USB connection and USB power. I have a particularly bad case of USB nervosa, based on several years listening to DACs through USB out of laptops with god awful power supplies. Eitr was my first breath of fresh air in terms of real relief from USB crappiness. That said, I previously wrote in this thread that I actually find the Wyrd to inhibit the SDAC with a veil and decreased bass extension. Based on prior experience, I find it hard to accept that a DAC could sound better from mobo USB power versus an independent linear power supply, but the difference was clear enough that it would grab my attention from time to time. I suppose the extra re-clocking the Wyrd does might be causing more harm than its clean power is doing good. Clearly Grace did their homework with the power supply noise rejection and re-clocking.

Now I find myself wondering how I could push the SDAC to its limits--without spending more than the price of the DAC. I recently picked up an Audioquest Cinnamon USB micro cable... retail value is about $20 cheaper than the DAC itself. This is my first foray into audiophile USB cables, I went with the Cinnamon based on a handful of reviews, and I have to say the difference is subtle but definitely present in terms of a bit better imaging/spatial definition and background noise. Nothing major but a nice step in the right direction. I also purchased a $20 USB card for the PC, so the audio chain could go through a separate bus than all the peripherals, but have yet to hook it up. Lastly, I am considering whether some kind of galvanic USB isolator would yield any improvement. There are some on ebay for about $55 shipped from the UK that I'm curious about.

All that is to say, the USB implementation on the SDAC is straight up impressive right out of the box.

I definitely agree on the USB implementation of the sdac, you don't lose out on much detail compared to using the Modi Multibit/Eitr

Have you ever used your hd600 with your Sdac cth? At the time, I prefered the hd600 sdac/cth combo over the Modi multibit/w Eitr. To preface, when I commented about the Mimby vs sdac, it may have still been warming up a week after I accidentally turned it off for a couple hours in my 90 degree room, but at that time I definitely peceived the sdac as having a better handle on space and lack of bias throghout the freq response. However, at any point in owning the CTH I can say without a doubt the Mimby/cth made the bass and vocal more emphasized in the overall presentation in comparision to my Sdac.

Just yesterday I was able to hook up the CTH to a linear power supply (and also got a Focal Elex) and now the dryness of the 6922 tube and the amp are a little too pronounced with the SDAC, but the tonal qualities I described of the Mimby alleviate that dryness and, to it's credit, the lifelike/live presentation and weight it brings (mostly in vocals and bass) is coming through even more. So, in short, I'm enjoying my Mimby for the time being (maybe because it's finally been on for 3 weeks?), but I still hate the fact that my Macbook sounds too similar and/or better for the first few weeks I turn on the Schiit. Also the Mimby still has a glare in the treble that prevents me from turning the music up too loud when using it.

I will be getting a SMSL su-8 from Massdrop next month, so I look forward to comparing that to my Mimby if I don't sell it by then.

Jan 27, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #152 of 180
All that is to say, the USB implementation on the SDAC is straight up impressive right out of the box.

Agreed. I recently played around with my Keces P8 linear power supply feeding clean power to the SDAC via iFi Gemini3.0 (with a nice custom adapter to bring it down to microUSB size). I played Roon via Surface Pro which is definitely not the cleanest transport out there... this configuration separates the signal and draws power from the linear PSU plus data from the Surface. If there was an improvement to be had, this setup would showcase it. But I really didn't hear anything significant.

With some of my other (more expensive) DACs I totally hear an improvement, but not with SDAC. That's mighty impressive.

Jan 27, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #153 of 180
I definitely agree on the USB implementation of the sdac, you don't lose out on much detail compared to using the Modi Multibit/Eitr

Have you ever used your hd600 with your Sdac cth? At the time, I prefered the hd600 sdac/cth combo over the Modi multibit/w Eitr. To preface, when I commented about the Mimby vs sdac, it may have still been warming up a week after I accidentally turned it off for a couple hours in my 90 degree room, but at that time I definitely peceived the sdac as having a better handle on space and lack of bias throghout the freq response. However, at any point in owning the CTH I can say without a doubt the Mimby/cth made the bass and vocal more emphasized in the overall presentation in comparision to my Sdac.

Just yesterday I was able to hook up the CTH to a linear power supply (and also got a Focal Elex) and now the dryness of the 6922 tube and the amp are a little too pronounced with the SDAC, but the tonal qualities I described of the Mimby alleviate that dryness and, to it's credit, the lifelike/live presentation and weight it brings (mostly in vocals and bass) is coming through even more. So, in short, I'm enjoying my Mimby for the time being (maybe because it's finally been on for 3 weeks?), but I still hate the fact that my Macbook sounds too similar and/or better for the first few weeks I turn on the Schiit. Also the Mimby still has a glare in the treble that prevents me from turning the music up too loud when using it.

I will be getting a SMSL su-8 from Massdrop next month, so I look forward to comparing that to my Mimby if I don't sell it by then.

I actually fried one of the drivers on my HD600 a while ago when I made a mistake rebuilding my Crack. So I haven't heard the CTH/HD600 as I recall, or if I did it was for too short of a time to make any real judgments. For me, the CTH really syngergizes with darker, warmer headphones. With the stock tube it has great treble extension, smoothness, air, and separation up top which really opens up headphones like the HD650, ZMF Classic, and Atticus, and clean enough in the mids and bass to do be satisfying with those too. Overall a very enjoyable mix of tube space/layering/air and solid state cleanliness and directness. The SDAC being as clean and detailed as it is also leans into that sound. I could see the combination with the HD600 being a little on the dry side without a warmer DAC. Have you tried rolling a warmer 6922?

Lastly, your description of the linear power supply is spot on... I usually describe it as better weight/solidity, more lifelike timbre, and more microdetail.

Jan 27, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #154 of 180
I actually fried one of the drivers on my HD600 a while ago when I made a mistake rebuilding my Crack. So I haven't heard the CTH/HD600 as I recall, or if I did it was for too short of a time to make any real judgments. For me, the CTH really syngergizes with darker, warmer headphones. With the stock tube it has great treble extension, smoothness, air, and separation up top which really opens up headphones like the HD650, ZMF Classic, and Atticus, and clean enough in the mids and bass to do be satisfying with those too. Overall a very enjoyable mix of tube space/layering/air and solid state cleanliness and directness. The SDAC being as clean and detailed as it is also leans into that sound. I could see the combination with the HD600 being a little on the dry side without a warmer DAC. Have you tried rolling a warmer 6922?

Lastly, your description of the linear power supply is spot on... I usually describe it as better weight/solidity, more lifelike timbre, and more microdetail.

Damn, that's a shame about your hd600.. I agree with the darker headphone synergy, I do wish I still had a 6xx to try with the CTH but I sold it awhile back. I loved the hd600 through the CTH though, I'm looking into trying some more tubes, my sights are set on the Amperex 6dj8 orange since that seems to be a winner. Actually, my tube is running hotter through the lps, so the tube sound coming through makes a lot of sense. Need to let my wallet recover before I start tube rolling though :).

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #155 of 180
I've been using the same amp and DAC for 8 years(HeadRoom Micro Amp and Micro DAC) and except for the fact I can only do 16/44.1 through USB input I'd use them until their wheels fell off. I can do 24/96 through coaxial or Toslink, but my cheap laptop only has USB. On the other hand out of 3000 files(AIFF) I have 40 hi-def files. Going to replace my $5 digital cable (A to mini b) and try an iFi iSilensor 3.0. And my HiFiMAN HE-400's are getting long in the tooth. And since those new Sundara's are experiencing major quality control issues I'm leaning toward Senn 660's. Might settle for 650's or even 600's. Gave my girlfriend my K702's. Too thin anyway. Just don't have the $$$ to make a serious upgrade.

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #158 of 180
I got dinged $23 CAD for taxes and handling,
Fellow Canadian. Only two things in life are guaranteed: Death and Taxes. And since we live in Canada that means a lot of Taxes. Kidding aside. It’s still worth it despite the Tax and exchange rate. But Amazon.ca sometimes has equivalent products for a bit cheaper so you have to do your homework. I love rediscovering old songs I loved with new ears. Now that I can afford proper hi-fi equipment. Cheers!

Apr 14, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #159 of 180
Fellow Canadian. Only two things in life are guaranteed: Death and Taxes. And since we live in Canada that means a lot of Taxes. Kidding aside. It’s still worth it despite the Tax and exchange rate. But Amazon.ca sometimes has equivalent products for a bit cheaper so you have to do your homework. I love rediscovering old songs I loved with new ears. Now that I can afford proper hi-fi equipment. Cheers!

The SDAC and the Liquid Spark makes this Canuck very happy! :)

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #163 of 180
Do you guys know if I can use ASIO driver with the SDAC and Windows 10? I just ordered one. Maybe I should have asked this first :/

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #165 of 180
Hello,

I bought the SDAC and I am really impressed with the sound quality. Detailed and clean.

Also impressed by the affordable price and elegant design, it's easy to install. The packaging is environment friendly, perfect.

I use: SDAC ---> Lake People G103S ---> Sennheiser HD800S

I recommend this DAC. :) Thank you Grace Design and Drop :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back