Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Dec 10, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #1,981 of 2,044
Elex’s are still cranking music with no popping or distortion. Playing them LOUD through the Topping A70 Pro with 17 wpc no problem. Looks like the batch that Headphones.com is selling is good, plus they still have these for $499 new. That’s one of the best deals around!

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #1,982 of 2,044
Just wanted to note for those international Focal fans, we just got clearance to open up the Elex for worldwide shipping. There may be some shipping restrictions still on our end but the Elex is now available to ship to countries in Europe, Asia, South America, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

https://headphones.com/products/focal-elex-headphones

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 16, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #1,983 of 2,044
Just wanted to note for those international Focal fans, we just got clearance to open up the Elex for worldwide shipping. There may be some shipping restrictions still on our end but the Elex is now available to ship to countries in Europe, Asia, South America, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

Great news for a lot of people far and wide. :thumbsup:

Jan 16, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #1,984 of 2,044

This is great news for folks who haven’t had a chance to experience this amazing headphone!

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #1,986 of 2,044

With the 3 year warranty thru headphones.com does this mean Focal will do after warranty repairs for a fee once the warranty expires?

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #1,987 of 2,044
With the 3 year warranty thru headphones.com does this mean Focal will do after warranty repairs for a fee once the warranty expires?
I certainly hope so. It is no longer a "Drop product", so I assume they will be treated like Clear's, Radiance's, etc.
At least that was my thinking when I bought my Clear's and Radiance's from Headphones.com and the Elex should be just another Focal product now.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #1,988 of 2,044
That is my understanding. If the headphones were purchased from us. I can’t say the same for those purchased from other sources though.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 22, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #1,989 of 2,044
Sweet. The big discount has me considering a pair. I had been debating picking up a pair of HD600s; however, the Elex tick most of the same boxes, but with added bass and dynamics. Seems like a no-brainer at only ~$100 more than the HD600.

My only question: I already own the Elegia. Are the Elex different enough to justify having both?

Jan 22, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #1,990 of 2,044
My only question: I already own the Elegia. Are the Elex different enough to justify having both?
Yes, very much ! As a matter of fact, two headphones from the same brand and such similar design could not sound more different

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #1,991 of 2,044
Sweet. The big discount has me considering a pair. I had been debating picking up a pair of HD600s; however, the Elex tick most of the same boxes, but with added bass and dynamics. Seems like a no-brainer at only ~$100 more than the HD600.

Yes, definitely. I loved the Elex's and they sounded much better than the Elegia's. The Elegia's are the only Focal headphone I didn't like.
I also didn't care for the HD600's, which I bought twice! I really am a glutton for punishment. :grin:
I never got the "magic" that the HD600/HD650 was supposed to have.

I paid $599.00 for my Elex's from Drop and they were worth Every penny.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #1,992 of 2,044
Yes, very much ! As a matter of fact, two headphones from the same brand and such similar design could not sound more different
Yes, definitely. I loved the Elex's and they sounded much better than the Elegia's. The Elegia's are the only Focal headphone I didn't like.
I also didn't care for the HD600's, which I bought twice! I really am a glutton for punishment. :grin:
I never got the "magic" that the HD600/HD650 was supposed to have.

I paid $599.00 for my Elex's from Drop and they were worth Every penny.
Thanks. I had read many others talking about how the two sounded very similar, so I thought I should take a litmus test of where the current consensus was.

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #1,993 of 2,044
Thanks. I had read many others talking about how the two sounded very similar, so I thought I should take a litmus test of where the current consensus was.
They do not sound similar at all.
The Elegia has more treble detail and wider soundstage than it should for being a closed back. Most people don't like its sound signature, but it's because you have to let it burn in.

The Elex, on the other hand sound fantastic from the start. Its bassy, lush sound should be appealing to almost everyone, without any compromise to the level of detail. The soundstage and imaging are good enough for you to be able to listen to several different instruments playing in different frequency range simultaneously.
But above all, the Elex is the pair of headphones with the most punch and slam that I have ever heard.

I have listened to better headphones like Utopia 2022, Clear Mg, HD 800s but I would not take any of those as a replacement for my Elex, as I would miss this punchy presentation.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #1,994 of 2,044
The closed backs are just very different. I ended moving on to the Radiance's, which I do really like.
However, I find they fall pretty short of the Elex's/Clear's. I think it's just the limitations of closed backs.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #1,995 of 2,044
The closed backs are just very different. I ended moving on to the Radiance's, which I do really like.
However, I find they fall pretty short of the Elex's/Clear's. I think it's just the limitations of closed backs.
Yeah, I'm always skeptical when people say that "X headphone is a closed-back version of Y headphone," but I've seen that claim so much about the Elegia and Elex that it seemed worth asking.

For me, I don't expect closed backs to sound like open backs. They're very different beasts. I find open backs to be as different from closed backs as dynamics are from planars, maybe even more so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back