Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Apr 28, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #571 of 2,030
This is one of the most amazing analogies I've read in my life. You really know how to explain things.

After reading your post and @Ojisan I wonder, do you think the Elex is a great headphone for classical?

While I wait for a couple of items to come in the mail for a mod I'm anticipating to perform on my Sundara, I've been using the Elex as my daily driver at home. I want to add a few additional thoughts that I've realized when using this headphone over time.
  • Its blistering transients and hardness of sound is something that my brain has adjusted to. These sort of sensations don't nearly stand out as much as before, and, as a consequence, I find myself no longer getting fatigued either.
  • In my longform review, I mentioned some subtle faults to the Elex's sound, but I don't typically notice them when listening unless I deliberately look for them. However, on certain songs like Varien's Kamisama feat. Miyake, the loss of magic in Miyake's immediate vocals is clear due to the Elex recessing those frequencies and making her voice go from lush to brittle.
Also in my longform review, I mention that the "Elex's sonic experience is overwhelmingly driven ... by a feeling of empty, black space around sounds and instruments." After all my mental adjustment to the Elex sound, this continues to be true, and surprisingly it's both a good and a bad thing. The good aspect of it is resolution--how clearly and well defined I can hear the different sounds in the music. The bad aspect of this is that the Elex's resolution can often come across as too egalitarian, as in it presents contextual instrumentation too distinctly and too forward relative to perhaps the primary performance (typically vocals), and thereby distracts from it.

The best way I can describe this feeling is imagine the songs we listen to as dishes we have for dinner. For some dishes, like steak and potatoes, you want your foodstuffs distinctly separated on your plate. You might give the steak a couple bites of attention, then give your potatoes a few bites as well, and then alternate. And overall, it's a delicious meal. The Elex really shines for these sort of songs.

Then there are dishes like pork fried rice, where the Elex will effortlessly lump your rice, peas, carrots, and pork into their respective mounds and push them into their respective corners, like a master class in grouping Skittles. This makes eating my fried rice... certainly more interesting, because I've never had fried rice like this before, and one can argue it still kind of works.

Then there's my mac & cheese, and the Elex keeps the macaroni and cheese separated like water and oil, and I feel like in these sort of cases, it's a detraction from the music. By all means, I want the two smeared together, or maybe I want one to shine while the others are deliberately muddied a bit, or perhaps I want one stacked on top of another. I don't recall the random song that popped up on Spotify the other day, but in it there was this guy singing and talking, but there was this cymbal just constantly going off very clearly in my left ear. I was at a loss as to what to listen to, and for some reason I couldn't listen to both at the same time. In times like this, I can't help but muse to myself that the mastering engineer definitely mastered the track with probably something sensible, like a Sennheiser or something.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting sensation worth sharing with the masses.

Apr 28, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #572 of 2,030
Can we talk about the cable? I think it's rad.

I'm not a cable junky, but the stock cables seem tastefully made and to be good quality. How do they rank in other people's opinions?

I've only used SE. What I find interesting is that it's (mostly) only microphonic north of the splitter. That's just just an observation and not a complaint because the cable is very quiet.

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #573 of 2,030
This is one of the most amazing analogies I've read in my life. You really know how to explain things.

After reading your post and @Ojisan I wonder, do you think the Elex is a great headphone for classical?

For disclosure, I have not heard the Elex yet, so speculating based on what I heard with Clear and Utopia. To me, the solo instruments are great (I listen mostly to the piano, guitar, flute, cello, and violin). Smaller ensembles are great too (3, 4, 5+). I had issues with some (not all) larger orchestral pieces (my favorite is Beethoven's 9 symphonies). It's like picking out colors in the mosaic but the larger picture is made coarse. Sometimes, there is an imbalance of instruments compared to what I hear with HD600/800/Stax which is very cohesive. The tonal balance and resolution differences probably play a role too. So IMHO, limited yes. As usual, YMMV :)

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #574 of 2,030
Just got the elex. Based on the reviews here I was thinking it would be bass light / harsh.

I'm running Mcintosh Preamp/DAC, WA22 Rev2 with some upgrades and it sounds very very good.

I have LCD4 / Z1R / LCD2 non Fazor as my other main headphones. The Z1R was my fav because of its form factor and lightness but I may actually like the elex better. Time will tell!

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #575 of 2,030
Hey guys - here’s a challenge for any of you new Elex owners that also happen to have access to/own an Elear: please could you do a pad swap and post your feedback on how the Elex sounds with Elear pads (and vice versa). It would be enlightening to know if the Elex becomes an Elear with a pad swap.

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #576 of 2,030
Hey guys - here’s a challenge for any of you new Elex owners that also happen to have access to/own an Elear: please could you do a pad swap and post your feedback on how the Elex sounds with Elear pads (and vice versa). It would be enlightening to know if the Elex becomes an Elear with a pad swap.

An Elex is just an Elear with different pads. So putting Elear pads on an Elex = all black Elear.

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #582 of 2,030
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #583 of 2,030
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-elear-impressions-thread.811961/page-339#post-14154593

That's the best I could find without spending hours searching (this sites search function sucks).
It's not quite right. My Elex's were broken but at low volume weren't completely unlistenable. I heard the Elear with Clear pads at AXPONA & there's a couple differences that a pad swap didn't add: the air in the treble & the more forward mids of the Elex. The driver's tuned differently that way. The Elear did have similar bass after the swap because of the perforations in the Clear pads but the mids weren't as forward (though not as recessed as before, mainly because the midbass didn't bleed into the midrange is badly as before.) They are similar sounding but not exactly "just a pad swap."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back