Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Apr 26, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #541 of 2,030
Nice report! Which of your three headphones (Elex, Sundara, HD6XX) would you prefer for long listening sessions? Which would you prefer if you could have only one. I ask because I have a very similar setup to you and by the looks of it, similar tastes in headphones.

Hmmm, that's kind of discouraging, I guess we'll have to see. My Elex pair has another week and a half before delivery so I'll have to check for myself. I got them in hopes that I could get an upgrade to my HD600s running on an Audeze Deckard. I bought the MCTH and found the Deckard to be clearer, truer to the headphone, and busted completely through the Sennheiser veil. I'll have to see how well this amp works with the Elex and if I can finally find a sub $1k upgrade for the HD600s.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #543 of 2,030
Hmmm, that's kind of discouraging, I guess we'll have to see. My Elex pair has another week and a half before delivery so I'll have to check for myself. I got them in hopes that I could get an upgrade to my HD600s running on an Audeze Deckard. I bought the MCTH and found the Deckard to be clearer, truer to the headphone, and busted completely through the Sennheiser veil. I'll have to see how well this amp works with the Elex and if I can finally find a sub $1k upgrade for the HD600s.
For what it's worth I have the CTH too & even though I couldn't fully enjoy my Elex on low volume it synergizes pretty well. It doesn't scale as well as the 6X0 series & it doesn't have as dramatic of an effect like it does my LCD2Cs but the wetness of the tube lends itself well to the airiness of the Elex. They're still pretty punchy too but again this is with a broken pair. I'll write a more thorough review once I get my second pair.

That dude's really the first person I've seen who tried the combo that didn't like it. There are posts here from CanJam that heard the combo & a post on Massdrop that say they prefer the Elex+CTH to the Clear & Elear.

How do you guys know what dB yall are listening at?
There's several apps for iphone & android. It isn't 100% scientific but it's a ballpark measurement.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #544 of 2,030
Apr 26, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #548 of 2,030

Don't be discouraged. I could just as easily prefer the rHead+Elex, if that makes you feel any better. Elex and Sundara sound quite different from each other. Each has their relative strengths. Elex's sound is definitely more immediately impressive, but I also get fatigued by its aggressiveness after a while, whereas I can listen to the Sundara or HD6XX forever without fatigue. I imagine listening to the Elex is an experience that's similar to auditioning the Sennheiser HE-1 system, which demands a much more active sort of listening than passive listening. This fabulous review states:
Electrostatic usually have a flat frequency response but due to the level of detail they express in the highs, the extra speed and sparkle often dominate the stage, demanding every bit of attention from the listener. Personally, I love that sound, but it's not something that I could ever listen to comfortably while doing anything other than listening.
And that's how I feel when listening to the Elex. It's a treat, but I get tired.

At this point, I'm fairly convinced that the HD6XX, Sundara, and Elex are the best headphones at their individual price segments while also being the three best headphones under $1000. I would take this with a huge grain of salt, as these are the three headphones I own. What you can take away safely though is that I'm quite pleased with these three purchases.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #549 of 2,030
Thanks for such detailed review!

Have you tried some burn in with pink noise? This wouldn't be the first headphones with the trebble behavior you describe

I've now spent a large number of hours critically listening to the Elex, both all day at work as well as at home, at which I've spent several hours A/Bing the Elex against the Sundara with select tracks. Some of my initial impressions of this headphone weren't quite on the mark, and some can be further clarified. Without further adieu...

bPSCXJn.jpg

I'm going to talk about the relative strengths and weaknesses of Elex's sound quality as compared with the Sundara, my thoughts for which are here. As indicated in my signature, they're both driven by the Arcam rHead, my thoughts for which are here. I stated in my initial impressions that I felt the rHead presented the Elex as everything it is, and further listening has only solidified this feeling. Predicating this entire post is that both headphones sound very, very good to me, so I'm only going to talk about what relatively stands out about the Elex rather than offer an exhaustive description of its sonic performance.

The Good Shi..Stuff
  • All of Elex's technical vectors, with the exception of sound stage, are very good, and some are noticeably superior to that of the Sundara, which means those are crazy good. One overperforming vector that must be mentioned is macrodynamics, i.e. transients, attack, and decay. My initial impression was that Sundara's planar transients were superior. I was wrong. The Elex's transients are supreme. Attack and decay are lightning fast. People often talk about how planars can tickle the ear when a snap drum plays. Well, this is true of the Elex for many different transient sounds. The driver pushes air pressure into your ear canal in a manner you can literally feel, and this is a quite defining characteristic of the Elex sound.
  • As a consequence of its tier S attack and decay, the Elex sounds very clear. Specifically, the Elex does an unparalleled job at decongesting its stage, separating sounds and instruments, and imaging them distinctly, remarkably, and effortlessly. Before the Elex, I thought the Sundara's extremely thin diaphragm was fast and well dampened if by nothing else, air. Well, it is, but the Elex's magnesium alloy diaphragm one ups the Sundara's in this regard. The Elex's sonic experience is overwhelmingly driven, besides by its blistering transient performance, by a feeling of empty, black space around sounds and instruments.
  • Bass: As I mentioned in my initial impressions, the Elex has the best bass performance I've heard in a dynamic headphone. Its bass is neutral, punchy, and nuanced, with very little distortion to boot. Dynamic bass has a different texture to planar bass, and while I prefer the latter, I very much like what the Elex does on the low end. Due to its low-mid-bass hump endemic to the fluctuating impedance of voice coils, I feel that the Elex adds extra heft in the right moments where the Sundara's super flat low end does not.
The subtle but present not so good stuff...

I feel like the Elex's strengths are, on balance, quite noticeable, whereas its weaknesses are quite subtle and require some damn careful listening to put one's finger on. Elex sets itself up for success in the impressions department for sure. Anyway, here we go:
  • Recessed midrange funkiness? I'm going to call it that. Basically, there are some swaths of frequencies in the upper midrange through presence that feel too recessed relative to the insane impact of higher and lower octaves. It gives the sound a slight v-shape sensation, but really the most bothersome thing is that I have a hard time hearing things in familiar tracks that I'm very used to hearing through the Sundara. I could describe the sensation as these sounds are coming from a galaxy far, far away, or that they're just largely absent when they shouldn't be. When I crank up the volume to compensate, everything else becomes way too damn loud.
  • Neurotic presence and treble. The short of it is that everything from the upper midrange through the treble sound quite edgy compared to the Sundara's relative smoothness. I think there are two factors driving this sensation. One is that the Elex's crazy, perhaps unnatural, attack and decay is creating a dryness in its sound. The other is that its top end FR is just too up-and-down, which is part of the reason for the first bullet as well.
  • Timbre. Timbre is a little off. *Gasp*. I was shocked too. It's quite subtle, but I verified this over and over again. Specifically in two places. One is that its midrange is just a tad nasally, as if there's some sort of 1KHz peak that shouldn't be there. The stock M1060 was guilty of this to quite a larger extent. The second timbre issue that is much less subtle is that, and I think this is related to the first two points above yet again, is that the treble timbre is off. The treble is just too dry, too edgy, too...forward. If you listen to Hans Zimmer's First Step on the Interstellar soundtrack, and skip to 1:10, you'll hear the part where there's a rising crescendo of background strings. With the Sundara, these are very much string instruments. With the Elex, by 1:25, these sound totally like horns!
And that's it. Ultimately, the Elex is an extremely interesting and capable headphone. Nothing else I've heard quite sounds like it. It's strengths dominate the listening experience, and I think it makes a wonderful addition to my deliberately minimal headphone collection.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #551 of 2,030
For someone who currently owns a HD600 and HE500 and is planning for the next headphone, do you consider this as an upgrade maybe to the HE500?

I have the HD600 and thus far the Elex seems better in every way. There's new toy syndrome in force here, but basically I find the Elex to be more fun, refined, and detailed. Who knows how I'll feel in a month or six. Right now though, I'm pleased.

Apr 26, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #552 of 2,030
Don't be discouraged. I could just as easily prefer the rHead+Elex, if that makes you feel any better. Elex and Sundara sound quite different from each other. Each has their relative strengths. Elex's sound is definitely more immediately impressive, but I also get fatigued by its aggressiveness after a while, whereas I can listen to the Sundara or HD6XX forever without fatigue. I imagine listening to the Elex is an experience that's similar to auditioning the Sennheiser HE-1 system, which demands a much more active sort of listening than passive listening. This fabulous review states:

And that's how I feel when listening to the Elex. It's a treat, but I get tired.

At this point, I'm fairly convinced that the HD6XX, Sundara, and Elex are the best headphones at their individual price segments while also being the three best headphones under $1000. I would take this with a huge grain of salt, as these are the three headphones I own. What you can take away safely though is that I'm quite pleased with these three purchases.
You try the DT1990 yet?

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #555 of 2,030
I received my Elex last night. I'm in Canada and got hit with a $125 customs fee. More than I expected...

The build quality and look of these headphones is top notch.

Comfort is good. Ear pads are very cool (they do not get warm around your ears), which I like. But the headphones are definitely heavy. As others say, the weight seems to be distributed fairly evenly, but they are still much heavier than I am used to.

In terms of sound, I'm having a hard time determining if I like them more than my Hifiman HE-400i. I find the Elex has a bolder sound to them. Maybe more punch and dynamics. They sound a little bit more open as well. But there is a sort of smooth quality to the mid-bass in the 400i that I like.

Something else complicating my opinion is the fact that I have Sonarworks EQ which I absolutely love with my 400i. Sonarworks does not have the Elex in their set of supported headphones, so I can't compare. But if I compare the sound of the 400i with Sonarworks to the Elex without any EQ, I think I might prefer the 400i with Sonarworks. But I do need to spend more time with the Elex before I can make a solid opinion on this.

I have a Schiit Loki as well, which I am playing around with on the Elex. I find if I turn the 20hz knob to about 3 o'clock and the 400hz knob to about 10 or 11 o'clock, that it improves the sub-bass of the Elex a bit, without increasing the mid-bass or low-mids too much (which I find can make a headphone sound too thick and muddy). But it still doesn't match the sub-bass I get with the 400i while using Sonarworks.

I also am interested in hearing of a comparison between the Clear, because when you look at the FR graphs, they look like they should sound almost identical.

Anyways, those are my impressions so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back