Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Dec 24, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #316 of 2,030
However good it is, seems the drop is shrinking by the day

Been noticing that as well. I have been really tempted but for $800 for a headset that there really is not much info on and then the long wait on top of that is causing me to hesitate. Tyll is supposed to have his Focal Clear review out today so I am going to wait on that. All of the good reviews about the Aeon Flow Open have me thinking about giving that a go.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #317 of 2,030
For me, the problem with this drop is that the pads, which are the single most important method of retuning the underlying Elear, are unique and will never be available from Focal. Not only the internal damping used in the pads, but the color as well. Clear pads, even if internally the same, are a very different color. If the Elex pads are worn or damaged, you're out of luck. If Massdrop included an option to buy a second pair of pads, I'd go with this drop (I did order, and then cancelled). I said so in a comment regarding my cancellation.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #319 of 2,030
That is correct. On that graph, that is why we went lower -- I knew many would assume they were exactly the same otherwise. This was not an attempt to deceive, and I made sure to state the measurement frequency range in each of the frequency response measurements (link), which I won't normally do in the title if all the graphs are spanning the same range.

All that said, in my opinion, the measurements of these two headphones are more similar than listening impressions might suggest.

I think that final point is something to consider. I've heard Elear and Clear side-by-side and Clear just sounds like a much better headphone beyond just fixed tonal balance. It is more detailed, refined, and smoother. I have used EQ to fix Elear's tonal balance to be more neutral like Clear and it still doesn't sound like Clear. I have heard from friends and others on the forums that have tried putting the Clear pads on Elear vs Clear and the impressions pretty much keep confirming this same point. Adding Clear pads decreases the bass, which will help bring the mids forward, but it doesn't improve any of the technicalities of the drivers. It still doesn't sound as good as Clear. I'm not convinced that Clear is necessarily worth the big premium over Elear/Elex, but I don't think Elex is getting as close to Clear as graphs suggest. I'm sort of waiting to see if Clear gets some big price reductions like Utopia and Elear did. If it start to sell in the $1,000-1,200 range I think it would be justified over the Elex. I also think those types of prices are very reasonable to see by the time Elex ships and I know I would be upset if I joined the Elex drop and Clear was close to $1,000 by the time I received Elex.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #320 of 2,030
I think we take it for granted that most people on this board are headphone educated, especially about wonderful brands not names Beats. But I somehow don't think the general population knows or even heard about a company like Focal.
For most random people though, it is hard to generate excitement for an brand they have no experience with at a pricing which is not cheap. No doubt the Elex is a wonderful product and hopefully the supporters of the drop got a great bargin, but I think to most people, it's not worth it at that price.

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #321 of 2,030
I'm sorta glad the drop is shrinking in participants. That means my copy will be even more rare and collectible. Let's be real. This drop bombed hard so I doubt Focal will bother with another run so as of today, there will only be 225 of these out in the wild. Cool for me. Sucks for those who were hoping that bunch of these would pop up in headfi classifieds.

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #322 of 2,030
If a drop is not sold out after it's closed, what do they do? Do they keep drop open and collecting orders or they close this drop and at some point in future they may decide to start a new drop?

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #323 of 2,030
I have heard from friends and others on the forums that have tried putting the Clear pads on Elear vs Clear and the impressions pretty much keep confirming this same point. Adding Clear pads decreases the bass, which will help bring the mids forward, but it doesn't improve any of the technicalities of the drivers. It still doesn't sound as good as Clear.

Can you point where in forum you have seen this impression.

I'm torn between Elex and Clear. I'm looking for my "end-game" headphone (at least for few years) and don't mind paying extra for Clear but I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Tyll's review is also suggesting this may be a good end-game headphone for most and it may knock off Utopia and Elear off the wall.

Unfortunately where I live (Atlanta, GA), I can't audition any of Focal's high-end headphones and I have to go buy online reviews only.

Dec 25, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #324 of 2,030
Can you point where in forum you have seen this impression.

I'm torn between Elex and Clear. I'm looking for my "end-game" headphone (at least for few years) and don't mind paying extra for Clear but I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth.

Tyll's review is also suggesting this may be a good end-game headphone for most and it may knock off Utopia and Elear off the wall.

Unfortunately where I live (Atlanta, GA), I can't audition any of Focal's high-end headphones and I have to go buy online reviews only.

Sure, here's a quote from TSVAJason in the Clear thread:
"I tried the swap long before the MD announcement. The result was a drop in bass. Alan and a few customers at our showrooms tried it yesterday. The impressions I heard were the same as mine. I’ll give it one + from the improved comfort but we also know the pad on the Elex is not as comfortable as the Clear. Tactically it’s a very difference feel. As for sound the Elex is IMO a very anemic Elear. You do get the feeling the mids are lifted but it really is the reduction of bass frequencies you hear. To compare to the Clear would be to say not very much of the same game at all. TSAVAlan may have different thoughts I never asked his impression."

And here's a quote from TSAVAlan in the Clear thread:
"So little impressions, used the stock short Clear cable to the Hugo 2 on the yellow marble volume between all the headphones, Clear and Elear.
So just between the Clear stock to the Elear w/ Clear pads has a quite similar tonal balance. The Clear's are without a doubt bassier than the Elear w/ Clear pads, the Elear combo does kind of roll off pretty quick. The Clears had a sort of fuller sound and was more resolute/detailed but I did just really try it out with just a quick bassy track I like to use to test subbass.

For a little fun I tried the Elear with the left side on a Clear pad and the right side being the stock Elear pads. Kinda interesting just the right side being so bassy in comparison."

And here's a quote from dleblanc from the Elex discussion page:
"Had the chance to try the Elear and Clear, and swapped in the Clear pads and cables on to the Elear; and the choice for the Clear’s was clear, and I must drop out of the Elex."

I questioned him for more details and he said: "Yes the Elear with Clear pads and also the cable (more significant change than anticipated) help open up the width of the elear a bit, and tames down midbass rumble; but the Clear still resolves more, sounds more transparent and has an over all more forward signature. Perhaps more fatguing, but the Clear is incredibly well tuned and I'm selling my HD800 to welcome it home."

Basically, the theme is that Elear+Clear pads helps balance tone (like using EQ) but it isn't going to make it any closer to Utopia in terms of technicalities. When I heard Clear it was very very solid and clearly (no pun intended) a step up from Elear. I liked its tonal balance more than Utopia, but I think Utopia is a significant step up in resolution and staging/imaging abilities.

If I were in your position I would try and find some way to audition TOTL headphones. A long road trip, a short flight, whatever. Or try and get to a headphone meetup. If you absolutely can't do that, I would recommend buying used as you shouldn't lose much money in a re-sell. The problem is that all these TOTL headphones have very specific characteristics that comes down to preference. Most are excellent in many ways, but some will just do something extra special for you depending on what you are drawn to. It would be a shame to drop so much money on a headphone blind brand new and not feel like it is the best fit. Also, if you are considering other headphones in Clear's price range, I can't recommend Auteur enough. I personally consider it a better headphone for the same price, but that is my preference. I already have Auteur and am also planning on eventually getting Clear because I like it so much and it complements well. But if I could only have one it would be Auteur.

Dec 25, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #325 of 2,030
Sure, here's a quote from TSVAJason in the Clear thread:
"I tried the swap long before the MD announcement. The result was a drop in bass. Alan and a few customers at our showrooms tried it yesterday. The impressions I heard were the same as mine. I’ll give it one + from the improved comfort but we also know the pad on the Elex is not as comfortable as the Clear. Tactically it’s a very difference feel. As for sound the Elex is IMO a very anemic Elear. You do get the feeling the mids are lifted but it really is the reduction of bass frequencies you hear. To compare to the Clear would be to say not very much of the same game at all. TSAVAlan may have different thoughts I never asked his impression."

And here's a quote from TSAVAlan in the Clear thread:
"So little impressions, used the stock short Clear cable to the Hugo 2 on the yellow marble volume between all the headphones, Clear and Elear.
So just between the Clear stock to the Elear w/ Clear pads has a quite similar tonal balance. The Clear's are without a doubt bassier than the Elear w/ Clear pads, the Elear combo does kind of roll off pretty quick. The Clears had a sort of fuller sound and was more resolute/detailed but I did just really try it out with just a quick bassy track I like to use to test subbass.

For a little fun I tried the Elear with the left side on a Clear pad and the right side being the stock Elear pads. Kinda interesting just the right side being so bassy in comparison."

And here's a quote from dleblanc from the Elex discussion page:
"Had the chance to try the Elear and Clear, and swapped in the Clear pads and cables on to the Elear; and the choice for the Clear’s was clear, and I must drop out of the Elex."

I questioned him for more details and he said: "Yes the Elear with Clear pads and also the cable (more significant change than anticipated) help open up the width of the elear a bit, and tames down midbass rumble; but the Clear still resolves more, sounds more transparent and has an over all more forward signature. Perhaps more fatguing, but the Clear is incredibly well tuned and I'm selling my HD800 to welcome it home."

Basically, the theme is that Elear+Clear pads helps balance tone (like using EQ) but it isn't going to make it any closer to Utopia in terms of technicalities. When I heard Clear it was very very solid and clearly (no pun intended) a step up from Elear. I liked its tonal balance more than Utopia, but I think Utopia is a significant step up in resolution and staging/imaging abilities.

If I were in your position I would try and find some way to audition TOTL headphones. A long road trip, a short flight, whatever. Or try and get to a headphone meetup. If you absolutely can't do that, I would recommend buying used as you shouldn't lose much money in a re-sell. The problem is that all these TOTL headphones have very specific characteristics that comes down to preference. Most are excellent in many ways, but some will just do something extra special for you depending on what you are drawn to. It would be a shame to drop so much money on a headphone blind brand new and not feel like it is the best fit. Also, if you are considering other headphones in Clear's price range, I can't recommend Auteur enough. I personally consider it a better headphone for the same price, but that is my preference. I already have Auteur and am also planning on eventually getting Clear because I like it so much and it complements well. But if I could only have one it would be Auteur.

Thanks @givemetacos. I did read TSVAJason and TSAVAlan's comments on Clear forum but I wanted to get feedback from someone who's not Focal Dealer.

At this point I'm strongly strongly considering Clear based on reviews and hoping that would be my end-game in open back. I'm also considering Auteur and Eikon (along with Aeon Flow closed) for my closed back end game but that would be for next Christmas :)

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #326 of 2,030
I'm sorta glad the drop is shrinking in participants. That means my copy will be even more rare and collectible. Let's be real. This drop bombed hard so I doubt Focal will bother with another run so as of today, there will only be 225 of these out in the wild. Cool for me. Sucks for those who were hoping that bunch of these would pop up in headfi classifieds.
212 as of right now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back