Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Dec 16, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #91 of 2,030
First three posts glowing reviews, including video review. This is what puts some people off Head-fi, it feels a bit too staged.

It was "staged" in that Massdrop sent the headphone out for review and told us when the post was going live. Aside from that, no direction or collaboration took place between any of us. I figured Jude would likely have a set, but had no clue about any other potential reviewers on this site.

The guys at Massdrop are really cool about this stuff. I've never had any sort of pressure from their end as far as what to write. You'd be surprised at how many companies and/or PR people try to "influence" reviews, but in this case Massdrop has always been very hands-off. They give us the same background story about development as they give the public, and there's not any further "suggestions" or anything.... it's really up to me to write whatever I want.

In this case, it's interesting how my impressions are very similar to Currawong's. We never talked about this in advance... in fact we barely know each other beyond casual forum interactions. I sometimes agree with his reviews and other times completely disagree (he probably feels the same way about me) but in this case we heard the Elex very, very similarly. I think that's noteworthy on some level.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #99 of 2,030
PS: It would be classy of Focal to do a Massdrop of 'Elear to Elex upgrade parts' to show support for their customers who bought the Elear.

For what it’s worth, below is a link to a member’s impression of the Elear with the Clear pads (from November) which aligns with most of the Elex impressions posted.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-elear-impressions-thread.811961/page-315#post-13855886

I would assume at some point soon you’ll be able to purchase the Clear pads (& maybe the Elex also) just like you can for the Utopia and Elear now.

Dec 16, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #100 of 2,030
This is exactly the headphone that I have been hoping Focal would one day make! A big thanks to Massdrop and Focal for joining forces and making it happen! :blush:

Too bad it's only 1,000 units! These will sell out fast... I need time to plan purchases like this. If it was at least 5,000 units spread with the drop over two weeks or so I could plan it. But I expect them to sell out in a day or less.

I totally agree with this. While I like everything else about this drop (I just hope the wait time won't be too crazy), there should have been a lot more time between the announcement and the drop. It was announced Friday afternoon (PST), so that means any potential purchaser only has 9-2PM today (normal US Saturday banking hours) to make sure they have the $800-$900 available in their bank account, because the banks will be closed on Sunday and the drop starts before the banks open on Monday. And it's Christmas time, so any extra cash is usually already spoken for.

Just some food for thought.:confused:

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #102 of 2,030
You prefer the Elex over the Clear? Can I ask what areas you find the Elex to be preferable in?

Obviously price, but also the general tuning is more to my liking. I find the Clear a bit faster, more lit up sounding, closer to a Utopia sound. Elex has huge dynamics and a seemingly richer midband which I really enjoy.

If both were priced the same (say $999 as a compromise) I'd probably still choose the Elex. But I realize others might feel differently. As it stands, with the $800 price difference, it's no contest for me.

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #103 of 2,030
Can anyone confirm, or not, that these have the clicking sound on bass at higher volume levels ?

Dec 16, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #105 of 2,030
Grado has done this from the get-go. They are protecting their distributors, who work to put food on their table. But perhaps there is no longer a need for this distribution model anymore.

Customers work even harder to put food on the table and working towards protecting and caring for them is a smart move, not alienating them with market restrictions. I would bet many a european will be miffed by Focal...would a US company restrict sales in America and make a product available in Europe only? Someone at Focal needs to work on their globalization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back