Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Jun 2, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #916 of 2,030
Could be a combination of both the crazy dynamics and extended frequency response.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #917 of 2,030
I have to correct a statement made on this forum about my Elex. They do not distort. I had 2 (not 1 but 2) recordings that are poorly engineered and I overreacted thinking it was the Elex.
Using other good headphones I came to the conclusion that the Elex accentuates those recording deficiencies - either they are more revealing or are simply more sensitive in that region (trumpets/cymbal).
Just setting the record straight, I meant to do this for awhile. I've just been too busy. My bad. In my defense, these problems were not that audible with other headphones (Senny 650, Beyer 880 and even LCD-4).

This is EXACTLY my perception of the Elex. They tend to reveal or exaggerate flaws from earlier in the chain. Regarding the sub-bass complaints, I really want to know the specifics of: (1) Master recording flaws and characteristics, (2) Limitations imposed by the test sample (such as Youtube) or the player software, (3) the DAC used and output level, (4) the Amp used and volume level, and (5) the cabling and any other devices in the chain. This may be a fatal issue somewhere in the setup rather than an artifact caused by the Elex -- it may have been previously unnoticed.

What struck me at first is that some master recordings were not volume matched in the slightest. They become "3D" with the Elex, so I'm guessing the sound engineers did not have particularly sensitive equipment or ears. The practical solution may be to just dial-back the resolution with a lower-fidelity DAC or a tube amp. Just how professional photographers use portrait lenses and filters to hide wrinkles...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #919 of 2,030
Looking to buy a used pair for some acoustic classic rock and some pop or edm as well as something with great imaging and soundstage for postitional quest for pc gaming.

Anyone compare these with the Sennheiser HD 700s?
Those are the 2 I have in mind.

I know the 700’s are super comfy and it seems these are as well and that is very important because sometimes I game for 3-3.5 hours on my day off work when I’m really into a game like I am now with fortnite and overwatch

I have the CA cascades which are great for edm hip hop for portable use and sennheiser hd 650s which are nice for acoustic but not very good for gaming.

Any advice? Should I look elsewhere because of the clipping issue? Or is that a very small percentage?

Budget is $600 max (maybe a bit more if excellent for gaming and music- 2 birds 1 stone) but want to stay below that so I’m looking for used options vs another MD drop

I didn't really like the Elex for gaming and or as a whole. Not my signature I guess. It was impressive at first but was too punchy and energetic for me. Especially in gaming, like the gun shots and sound effects were way too forward and loud while the music and such was too low.

Had the HD700 but it was a year ago since I had them. They were ok, tinny sounding though. Not very punchy. A little dull. Good soundstage but it's that boxed in soundstage sound. I hadn't heard them in over a year so...

I recently picked up the Hifiman Edition X V2 though, after not feeling the Elex, and I like them way better. To me they're more of a super HD650 than the Elex was touted to be. They're like a more refine smooth HD650. Balanced sound, although the treble is rolled off, but that makes it more laid back and easier to listen and I'm used to the Senn sig so I don't really take notice. Soundstage and imaging is great. I think what I like most is how tall the soundstage is which is what I liked about the Senns also. That makes it sound very open and natural and in turn makes it awesome for gaming. It's low resistance also so you don't really need a amp to drive them. I plug them straight into my Nintendo Switch and it sounds awesome. But it does sound better when I plug the Switch into my dac and amp.

I have the Audeze Mobius coming also. I'd like to see how those compare. Hopefully they're similar because I'd like a closed version also. Anyways, just my take and preference between those headphones. Edition X V2 is around $800 used though. But like you, I wanted a headphone for music and gaming and I think I found them.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #921 of 2,030
Hi Marine @FocalOfficial. Can you tell me if you’re making Elex pads available as accessories or spare parts? If so where can they be purchased? Thanks.

Hi gLer,

Massdrop is in charge of After-Sales Service for Elex headphones.
They may have spare parts but you should ask them directly :)

Kind regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Jun 7, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #922 of 2,030
Hi gLer,

Massdrop is in charge of After-Sales Service for Elex headphones.
They may have spare parts but you should ask them directly :)

Kind regards,
Hi @FocalOfficial - I did ask Massdrop and they told me to call Focal directly as they are not in charge of parts. So now what?

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #923 of 2,030
Apologies if this had been answered, but I don't think it has. Can anyone say if the Dekoni perferated sheepskin pads affect the sound of the elex positively, negatively, or not at all, in their opinion? I'm thinking of making this my next purchase, but haven't heard enough about the perferated sheepskin on the elex, specifically. Thanks!

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #924 of 2,030
Apologies if this had been answered, but I don't think it has. Can anyone say if the Dekoni perferated sheepskin pads affect the sound of the elex positively, negatively, or not at all, in their opinion? I'm thinking of making this my next purchase, but haven't heard enough about the perferated sheepskin on the elex, specifically. Thanks!

I don't have the fenestrated sheepskin, but I do have the hybrid pads. I would say they just made the signature different enough to be unique, not necessarily better or worse. Stock does sound more airy and open in comparison though. I would imagine that the fenestrated sheepskin sounds closest to the stock pads, given the amount of perforation those already have.

Jun 12, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #925 of 2,030
Hi @FocalOfficial - I did ask Massdrop and they told me to call Focal directly as they are not in charge of parts. So now what?

Hi,

We talked with Massdrop, they are going to receive some pads as spare parts. They will be able to answer to customers' requests :wink:

Best regards,

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Jun 13, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #926 of 2,030
Just throwing this out there, I originally posted about hearing some pops with my Focal Elex. After a bit of testing I figured out that the pops only happened with my Mjolnir 1. I wasn't hearing the pops through other amps. Just curious if anyone was running the Elex through the same amp and had similar results.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #927 of 2,030
Hi,

One question for Elex users: does any of you have tried them with and knows how do they pair with the Magni 3 (solid state) and the Vali 2 (tubes)?

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #929 of 2,030
elex vs 1990 thoughts?

Did a search but only one small comparison.
For what it is worth here is a short real time comparison...

Have them both, and wouldn't you know, I am listening to both of them as I drink a glass of wine before turning in for the day! Source is an audio-gd 11-38. The 1990s have the balanced pads on.

Both are quite dynamic (in my definition - they hit hard, they stress each note, each sound as opposed to trying to make them all flow together - as in the m1060c makes puree out of the sound, while by comparison the 1990 and Elex offer up each individual note to you).

Both are very clear, on the bright side of neutral. The Elex is clearer and brighter, though.

Both have nice bass extension, but I do think that the 1990 might go a little bit deeper.

The 1990 is more likely to be a bit sibilant than the Elex.

I personally like the Elex just a little bit more.

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #930 of 2,030
These are available again on Massdrop!

But only until they they reach 955 sold. They are currently at 827 sold, so there are just 128 left before they're sold out.

The best part is that they will ship on August 8th, less than a month from now! :smiley:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-focal-elex-headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back