Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Jul 16, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #931 of 2,030
I can pick up a pair of these new - private sale for about $300 USD is this a good deal and what would they compare to ? I currently have the hifiman edition x v2 as my main headphones at home and looking for some headphones I can leave and use at my office. any thoughts appreciated

Jul 16, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #932 of 2,030
I can pick up a pair of these new - private sale for about $300 USD is this a good deal and what would they compare to ? I currently have the hifiman edition x v2 as my main headphones at home and looking for some headphones I can leave and use at my office. any thoughts appreciated
If you dont want to buy them, can you send me their contact info?

Serious answer, that is an amazing deal. Just bonkers.

Jul 16, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #934 of 2,030
If you don't want them, let me know the seller details and I'll buy them

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #935 of 2,030
its from Canada I am sure the seller wont ship outside of the country. I had never heard of these headphones - I did some research and they seem like good headphones but I decided not to get them as I like the portability of my isine 10 at work, and I use my HEX V2 at home and not looking to switch my main headphones

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #936 of 2,030
its from Canada I am sure the seller wont ship outside of the country. I had never heard of these headphones - I did some research and they seem like good headphones but I decided not to get them as I like the portability of my isine 10 at work, and I use my HEX V2 at home and not looking to switch my main headphones

I'm in Vancouver so let me know if you don't want it .

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #937 of 2,030

That is a great price. You have good connection. I remember last year you had a chance to buy the AKG K812 for about the same price...

Buy them, and if u do not like the sound, I am sure you will have no problem selling them. Hell, I would drive over myself

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #938 of 2,030
Yes I get good deals I passed on the aKGs but I ended up getting the hifiman Edition x v2 for just a bit more than this price. I may still get these focals if he still has them on Wednesday I don't have time to pick it up before then

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #939 of 2,030

Make sure its not one of those units with the driver rattle issue. It seems almost to cheap to be true.

Jul 20, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #940 of 2,030
Yes I get good deals I passed on the aKGs but I ended up getting the hifiman Edition x v2 for just a bit more than this price. I may still get these focals if he still has them on Wednesday I don't have time to pick it up before then

........You should definitely get both if you can. They complement each other so well! Where the Elex are really punchy and attention-grabbing, the Edition X are smooth like butter and just super relaxing.

Jul 22, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #941 of 2,030
Anyone using the Elex can say something about amp pairings? Someone with a Lyr2 or a Magni3 perhaps?

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #942 of 2,030
Anyone using the Elex can say something about amp pairings? Someone with a Lyr2 or a Magni3 perhaps?

I personally returned my Magni 3 to Schiit in the first 2 weeks after buying it, as I didn't like it with any of my headphones.

The Elex are quite resolving, and I plainly hear hear the DAC as well as the amp. I've tried it with 4-5 sources and can easily hear the differences between each.

I'm mostly using the Elex with a FiiO Q5 portable Amp/DAC (XLR to 2.5mm adapter and balanced output), as I use headphones when I want a compact or mobile setup. The Q5 has a clean, neutral, noise-free, and well-defined profile, and the balanced output has strong bass extension versus the somewhat thin standard output. The source material remains in control either way, and this suits me as I tend to dislike deviations from the source.

Yesterday I used the Q5 as a DAC and ran the line-out into my Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) amp and listened for a few hours. This results in tube bloom, sparkle, and chime. Overall, the music is 'highlighted' at accent points. For most sources I don't need or want coloration, but it's a fun way to improve dead mastering. The CTH also adds faint background noise or 'haze' to the sound vs. the Q5 balanced output.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #943 of 2,030
I personally returned my Magni 3 to Schiit in the first 2 weeks after buying it, as I didn't like it with any of my headphones.

The Elex are quite resolving, and I plainly hear hear the DAC as well as the amp. I've tried it with 4-5 sources and can easily hear the differences between each.

I'm mostly using the Elex with a FiiO Q5 portable Amp/DAC (XLR to 2.5mm adapter and balanced output), as I use headphones when I want a compact or mobile setup. The Q5 has a clean, neutral, noise-free, and well-defined profile, and the balanced output has strong bass extension versus the somewhat thin standard output. The source material remains in control either way, and this suits me as I tend to dislike deviations from the source.

Yesterday I used the Q5 as a DAC and ran the line-out into my Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) amp and listened for a few hours. This results in tube bloom, sparkle, and chime. Overall, the music is 'highlighted' at accent points. For most sources I don't need or want coloration, but it's a fun way to improve dead mastering. The CTH also adds faint background noise or 'haze' to the sound vs. the Q5 balanced output.

I am going to wager a wild arse guess and say because the Elex have such a high resolution and low impedence that you are going to get a lot more "background noise" being picked up along with issues with bad recordings. In my tiny understanding of all this, i think that is the point of the 600ohm phones for studio use as they can block out the noise while having enough power to drive the actual music) I think having an inline noise filter might fix the problem. I have both an 80ohm and a 250ohm in line filter on order, along with a pair of the Elex and the Shiit Magna3...also have an A3 and an A5 on hand. I however, do like to EQ my music to my liking on a per headphone or per source or even per song basis so I have the Loki 4 band dial EQ on the way also.

That being said, the newer lossless music files along with even todays average DAC's (such as the one in the LG V30 or any gaming level and up on baord mobo or sound card) probably give you way less need for higher ohm headphones than what we had in the 90s and 2000s. If you are still getting noise with the Elex i would wager to argue that is more of a compliment to how good the Elex are rather than an indictment of them having bad sound.

Edit: Better bass reproduction and overall dynamics seem to also be a benefit of the higher OHM, but Clear seems to have some what gotten around that using the magnesium diaphragm in the first place. I don't have mine yet but Focals seem to be pretty high end when it comes to dynamics...and semi high end when it comes to bass.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #944 of 2,030
I am going to wager a wild arse guess and say because the Elex have such a high resolution and low impedence that you are going to get a lot more "background noise" being picked up along with issues with bad recordings. In my tiny understanding of all this, i think that is the point of the 600ohm phones for studio use as they can block out the noise while having enough power to drive the actual music) I think having an inline noise filter might fix the problem. I have both an 80ohm and a 250ohm in line filter on order, along with a pair of the Elex and the Shiit Magna3...also have an A3 and an A5 on hand. I however, do like to EQ my music to my liking on a per headphone or per source or even per song basis so I have the Loki 4 band dial EQ on the way also.

I'm actually quite happy with the clarity and overall sound profile of the Elex with my FiiO Q5 DAC/Amp using the 2.5mm balanced out. Yes, it has amazing sensitivity to dynamic differences and will transform some sources and make others sound 'weird.' The Elex have a dead silent background with a clean source. My ears adapted after about 30-40 hours of use.

I strongly disliked the Magni 3 for an entirely different reason, and returned it before I bought the Elex. The Magni 3 can radically compress dynamic range, whereby it goes soft when it should go loud and makes everything seem muddy. Following several explanatory dead ends, someone pointed me to the Reddit post below. Long story short: the Magni 3 limits input voltage as a safety factor so one must have a relatively quiet input source (and this is not always practical). I returned it because it complicated my setup with no benefits; only made things worse sometimes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7xbzy7/gentlemen_and_ladies_allow_me_to_present_some/

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #945 of 2,030
Interesting. Mine just came today . Whem I hook my Magna 3 to my MSI SLI plus mobo the mobo is detecting and outputting to the amp as a 900ohm!!! (it auto detects the source)....crazy.

Yes it's flat, but I have the Shiit Loki and with the right EQ my HE4xx sound better than they ever have (that includes using my V35 as the source rather than the PC).

I'm actually quite happy with the clarity and overall sound profile of the Elex with my FiiO Q5 DAC/Amp using the 2.5mm balanced out. Yes, it has amazing sensitivity to dynamic differences and will transform some sources and make others sound 'weird.' The Elex have a dead silent background with a clean source. My ears adapted after about 30-40 hours of use.

I strongly disliked the Magni 3 for an entirely different reason, and returned it before I bought the Elex. The Magni 3 can radically compress dynamic range, whereby it goes soft when it should go loud and makes everything seem muddy. Following several explanatory dead ends, someone pointed me to the Reddit post below. Long story short: the Magni 3 limits input voltage as a safety factor so one must have a relatively quiet input source (and this is not always practical). I returned it because it complicated my setup with no benefits; only made things worse sometimes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7xbzy7/gentlemen_and_ladies_allow_me_to_present_some/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back