Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
May 9, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #691 of 2,030
Indeed, we have made a clear design choice on Elear (and by consequence Elex) and Utopia. Our headphones have been designed to favor the respect of the dynamic contained within the audio signal versus dynamic compression that would offer a higher SPL capability but less respect of the original audio signal
So with no mention of the Clear, does this mean it is designed different then other 3 headphones ?

May 9, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #692 of 2,030
Dear all,

As already mentionned several times on Head-Fi, the issue described is actually not a quality issue.
Indeed, we have made a clear design choice on Elear (and by consequence Elex) and Utopia. Our headphones have been designed to favor the respect of the dynamic contained within the audio signal versus dynamic compression that would offer a higher SPL capability but less respect of the original audio signal. To cut a long story short, the choice was audio quality oriented rather than SPL oriented. This allows our products to work with full performances until the mechanical clipping is activated. This means that you jump directly from a very low distortion to a sound which could be heard as rattling / cracking noise. On very special tracks with only very low frequencies at very high level, you can thus hear some noises - as you will do on classic loudspeakers.
If we change your pair of headphones, the new one will be designed similarly and it will also have a kind of cracking sound when you will be listening to music with high volume and a fair amount of bass.
The only solution we can recommend you is therefore to listen to your headphones at a lower volume.

Thank you for your understanding,
Best regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal
Thanks for the official confirmation. How does this mechanical clipping affect the driver in the long term?

If a user were to listen to levels (or types of music) which triggers the clipping more frequently, than another user who doesn't, will that driver be more likely to fail quicker?

May 9, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #693 of 2,030
That sounds reasonable since those SPL are not healthy in the long term. I insist that for the sake of transparency and respect for their customers, @FocalOfficial should officially state this in the headphones specs.
I agree. It is a significant enough issue/feature that potential customers should be made aware of beforehand.

Would save a lot of returns/refunds as well.

May 9, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #696 of 2,030
In any event both of mine are headed back to Massdrop tomorrow. I'm not salty about the situation, I just could've saved myself a few gray hairs. Thanks to all of you who helped me troubleshoot, I appreciate it. I'm glad that most of you enjoy them as much as you as you do. Keep banging.
Good luck and I hope that you enjoy your next headphones better than you did these!

I for one am keeping mine and look forward to enjoying them for many years to come - I love their looks and build, the comfort, the sound stage, the imaging, and their neutral to slightly bright sound. They are fast which is fun to listen to, though I think I will only be able to listen to them for an hour or two at a time before they wear me out I have to turn to something a bit more mellow - truly listening to these is a bit of a workout for my ears and brain :) Fortunately I have a few cans to choose from that cover a wide array of sound signatures, so there is that...

May 9, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #697 of 2,030
Good luck and I hope that you enjoy your next headphones better than you did these!

I for one am keeping mine and look forward to enjoying them for many years to come - I love their looks and build, the comfort, the sound stage, the imaging, and their neutral to slightly bright sound. They are fast which is fun to listen to, though I think I will only be able to listen to them for an hour or two at a time before they wear me out I have to turn to something a bit more mellow - truly listening to these is a bit of a workout for my ears and brain :) Fortunately I have a few cans to choose from that cover a wide array of sound signatures, so there is that...
That's the thing man I wanted to love them so badly. They're gorgeous & the staging + imaging like you said are stellar. At one point I was going to compromise & just listen at a lower volume. I think I'll be happier in the long run with something else though. The only problem is I'm not sure what's next in the "energetic headphone" category besides its older brother the Clear. The DT1990 is the only other dynamic driver that comes to mind. I'll figure this out on my own though. Enjoy yours for all the years to come :beyersmile:

May 9, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #698 of 2,030
That's the thing man I wanted to love them so badly. They're gorgeous & the staging + imaging like you said are stellar. At one point I was going to compromise & just listen at a lower volume. I think I'll be happier in the long run with something else though. The only problem is I'm not sure what's next in the "energetic headphone" category besides its older brother the Clear. The DT1990 is the only other dynamic driver that comes to mind. I'll figure this out on my own though. Enjoy yours for all the years to come :beyersmile:
I have the DT 1990 Pros and I can WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend them if you like the sound of the Elex. I will say the soundstage is smaller, and they are not quite as bright, but they are fun as, well, you know. Same kind of listening experience - they MAKE YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THEM!! I have headphones that I will listen to and frankly forget I am even listening to music... Not with the Elex, and not with the DT 1990s!!

Edit: By the way, I literally just got today the MrSpeakers Aeon Closed... These are really worth considering...!

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #699 of 2,030
I have the DT 1990 Pros and I can WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend them if you like the sound of the Elex. I will say the soundstage is smaller, and they are not quite as bright, but they are fun as, well, you know. Same kind of listening experience - they MAKE YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THEM!! I have headphones that I will listen to and frankly forget I am even listening to music... Not with the Elex, and not with the DT 1990s!!

By the way, I literally just got today the MrSpeakers Aeon Closed... These are really worth considering...!
How does the DT1990 synergize with your CTH? I prefer the Elex with my CTH over my Magni 3.

I heard the Aeon Flow Open at AXPONA last month & they were a bit on the mellow side from what I remember. The planar bass was quick as always but the macro & micro dynamics weren't quite upfront like they are with the Elex. Auditory memory is the worst in humans though so I could be misremembering, or it could be the amps (I heard it on a CTH with a different than stock tube & a Lyr 3). I'll dive into some reviews of them though. Thanks for the tip.

May 9, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #700 of 2,030
How does the DT1990 synergize with your CTH? I prefer the Elex with my CTH over my Magni 3.

I heard the Aeon Flow Open at AXPONA last month & they were a bit on the mellow side from what I remember. The planar bass was quick as always but the macro & micro dynamics weren't quite upfront like they are with the Elex. Auditory memory is the worst in humans though so I could be misremembering, or it could be the amps (I heard it on a CTH with a different than stock tube & a Lyr 3). I'll dive into some reviews of them though. Thanks for the tip.

I will have to get back to you on the 1990 with the CTH with any meaningful listening! I got the CTH this week, the Aeon Flow today, and the Elex last week (yeah, its been a busy week!!). I am burning in the CTH while listening to the Aeon at the same time, so don't want to draw conclusions on the CTH yet... I will spend time with all the cans this weekend doing A/Bing of the cans on the CTH and the O2 and then post.

But since you asked, just put the 1990s on the CTH for a quick listen.. I have VERY eclectic music tastes, but right now listening to classical. Bolero is playing and I have to say it is pairing very nice. Classic 1990 sound with all of the notes clearly articulated (that 1990 attack!), still a bright sound, but maybe the highs a little mellower than on the O2 (or that is placebo effect!).

I have my homework really cut out for me this weekend - all my headphones against my two amps... I better think of a scoring system that I can use!!!

As to comparing the AFC and the Elex... I think that they share some traits, especially being a bit on the brighter side to me. BUT, the Elex takes the prize as being dynamic and attacking every note... :) But, I promise a much more detailed write up... I have enjoyed these forums for years, and now I am going to give back!!

May 9, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #701 of 2,030
I have the Aeon Flow Open (AFO) and I'm considering the Elex as a complement for when I want more dynamics. The most precise word to describe the AFO is engaging. You forget about technicalities and become involve in the music. It is warm and the tuning filters are great to set the trebble at your taste. It loves tubes.

@jsmiller58, may I ask if you'd compare the dynamics of the DT1990 to the Elex? What about amp pairings?

May 9, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #702 of 2,030
I have the Aeon Flow Open (AFO) and I'm considering the Elex as a complement for when I want more dynamics. The most precise word to describe the AFO is engaging. You forget about technicalities and become involve in the music. It is warm and the tuning filters are great to set the trebble at your taste. It loves tubes.

@jsmiller58, may I ask if you'd compare the dynamics of the DT1990 to the Elex? What about amp pairings?
From my very limited testing so far (just got the Elex a few days ago) I would say the Elex is more dynamic, then the 1990, then the AFC. That is with very limited listening (AFC are only a few hours old as well) and only with the CTH (which admittedly is still early in its burn in cycle).

This weekend I will put all these through their paces with the O2 (and even the still too new CTH). But I do feel very confident to say that the Elex is the fastest, most dynamic of the cans I have in my collection. It is also the brightest, but not in the ice pick in your ear sort of way - very detailed without being sibilant (better that way than even the 1990 in that it is clearer and brighter than the 1990 but less prone to sibilance - go figure). I have a number of more "musical" cans to compare with that help me make that conclusion, including the Sundara (which is sort of bright, but not when compared to Elex, DT1990), M1060, NightOwl, and even the th-x00...

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #703 of 2,030

I wonder which headphone people would generally consider brighter, Clear or Elex?

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #704 of 2,030
Regarding the mechanical noise....

The way the community could confirm if this behavior is a design tradeoff or just PR to cover a manufacturing process control issue....put your output on mono/mix so both drivers get the same info...if the left or right rattles way before the other (would need to be significant as there is also some variation), its a manufacturing issue. If many people do this same thing and post their serial numbers and which driver you could figure out the type of control issue.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #705 of 2,030
I believe I am one of the silent majority that have had no issue with my Focals. I personally have owned two Elears without crackles and was on the Elear tour without issues as well. They are absolutely the best headphones I have ever heard. I have attempted to crank them up so I could hear this evidently built in feature and my ears gave out before I could ever hear any crackles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back