Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
May 11, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #721 of 2,030
That's the thing man I wanted to love them so badly. They're gorgeous & the staging + imaging like you said are stellar. At one point I was going to compromise & just listen at a lower volume. I think I'll be happier in the long run with something else though. The only problem is I'm not sure what's next in the "energetic headphone" category besides its older brother the Clear. The DT1990 is the only other dynamic driver that comes to mind. I'll figure this out on my own though. Enjoy yours for all the years to come :beyersmile:

I have the DT 1990 Pros and I can WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend them if you like the sound of the Elex. I will say the soundstage is smaller, and they are not quite as bright, but they are fun as, well, you know. Same kind of listening experience - they MAKE YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THEM!! I have headphones that I will listen to and frankly forget I am even listening to music... Not with the Elex, and not with the DT 1990s!!

I've just gotten my Elex in the mail today and they haven't left my head yet!

For reference, I've made my way through a decent swath of mid-fi and I think I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup- an AudioGD NFB28 running HiFiMan Edition X V2, DT-1990, and now the Elex. I'm definitely something of a treble-head, and I've been mixing live music for a while.
The Elex seem to be a more "fun" version of the DT-1990. When comparing the two head-to-head, the Elex's soundstage, imaging, and dynamics immediately jump out as being a pretty decent improvement. The next difference I notice is the mids seeming distant on the Elex compared to the 1990s. I'd attribute that to the dips in freq. response around 700 Hz and 2KHz, which I actually went to confirm were there on Massdrop. The 1990 is definitely more of a "reference" sound that I'd feel comfortable using as mixing cans (knowing that they tend to be bright) while the Elex are a more engaging listen. They might be TOO engaging - I don't usually experience fatigue listening, but the Elex are definitely getting me there.

All that to say, I'd definitely recommend the 1990s as an alternative to the Elex, and you get that sexy German machining to boot! I'll likely end up keeping the Edition X as a "relaxation" can and the Elex as a "fun" can. Time will tell if they completely replace the 1990s or not.

I'd be more than happy to do some very amateur comparisons with the headphones I've had in the past in my profile!

May 11, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #722 of 2,030
I've just gotten my Elex in the mail today and they haven't left my head yet!

For reference, I've made my way through a decent swath of mid-fi and I think I'm pretty satisfied with my current setup- an AudioGD NFB28 running HiFiMan Edition X V2, DT-1990, and now the Elex. I'm definitely something of a treble-head, and I've been mixing live music for a while.
The Elex seem to be a more "fun" version of the DT-1990. When comparing the two head-to-head, the Elex's soundstage, imaging, and dynamics immediately jump out as being a pretty decent improvement. The next difference I notice is the mids seeming distant on the Elex compared to the 1990s. I'd attribute that to the dips in freq. response around 700 Hz and 2KHz, which I actually went to confirm were there on Massdrop. The 1990 is definitely more of a "reference" sound that I'd feel comfortable using as mixing cans (knowing that they tend to be bright) while the Elex are a more engaging listen. They might be TOO engaging - I don't usually experience fatigue listening, but the Elex are definitely getting me there.

All that to say, I'd definitely recommend the 1990s as an alternative to the Elex, and you get that sexy German machining to boot! I'll likely end up keeping the Edition X as a "relaxation" can and the Elex as a "fun" can. Time will tell if they completely replace the 1990s or not.

I'd be more than happy to do some very amateur comparisons with the headphones I've had in the past in my profile!
Thanks a lot Jacob I appreciate that. I guess I'll go for the Clears then because the engagement is one of the biggest reasons why I love the Elex when it isn't clipping. I'll still try to find somewhere to demo the 1990s though. They seem worth a least a listen.

May 11, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #723 of 2,030
Thanks a lot Jacob I appreciate that. I guess I'll go for the Clears then because the engagement is one of the biggest reasons why I love the Elex when it isn't clipping. I'll still try to find somewhere to demo the 1990s though. They seem worth a least a listen.
If you look for engagement, do try the AEON Flow Open

May 11, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #725 of 2,030
If you look for engagement, do try the AEON Flow Open

I was curious how they match up to the Edition X V2, they seem quite different! The HEX is just so dang relaxing, but if you're listening actively they offer plenty of detail. Not heard anything quite like it, usually this characteristics come with a pretty dark sound sig.

May 11, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #726 of 2,030
I had the opportunity to audition the HEXv2, although not with the best amplifier, and my take is that they are absolutely lovely for classical and relaxing music. I remember that I got goosebumps listening Eternel Enchantement by Michel Pepe. Also, they're pretty easy to drive, they sound pretty good even from headphones.

On the other hand, I'd give the AFO the edge for Rock, Latin music and Pop.

May 11, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #727 of 2,030
Yeah, I just had a similar reaction to a new pair of Beyerdynamic T1 headphones; excessive bass, shrill treble, no midrange to speak of. These are terrible terrible headphones I declared. I was going to return them as defective.Then someone suggested I check the adapter. I undid it, cleaned it, put it back together and.....voilà! Working just fine. Huh.

That said, I've been disappointed by virtually every Massdrop product I've ever received (other than the 6XX), so I didn't bite on the Elex (plus I already have a set of Elear that I love just fine). I think they cut too many corners in general to get the price down.

Agree with another poster, Massdrop is a collaborator, not a headphone manufacturer but that doesn't stop them from setting up some highly anticipated collaborations and providing feedback on tuning. If the are manufacturing issues, kinda hard to blame Massdrop unless they rushed the product or made a bad tuning decision.

Can you elaborate on what corners were cut with this drop?

May 11, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #728 of 2,030

I just got mine today and I hear the clipping issue too. I'm using fiio x5iii. Song: Fifth of whisky from Banshee OST. I know that has a lot of sub bass and gave it a whirl at high gain. The volume was 60. I believe fiio has it mapped to actual db. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Clipping within the first 30 seconds. Changed it to low gain, same volume. Clipping again. This is a shame as I have been trying out other songs and I like these when they are not defective. Billie Jean sounds great and that is one of the songs I always try. Something is definitely not right. I don't believe focal. There is some driver issue going on. Don't know if these were previously returned elear modified as elex. I've contacted mass drop but since this is friday, it'll be Monday before I hear anything.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #729 of 2,030
I just got mine today and I hear the clipping issue too. I'm using fiio x5iii. Song: Fifth of whisky from Banshee OST. I know that has a lot of sub bass and gave it a whirl at high gain. The volume was 60. I believe fiio has it mapped to actual db. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Clipping within the first 30 seconds. Changed it to low gain, same volume. Clipping again. This is a shame as I have been trying out other songs and I like these when they are not defective. Billion Jean sounds great and that is one of the songs I always try. Something is definitely not right. I don't believe focal. There is some driver issue going on. Don't know if these were previously returned elear modified as elex. I've contacted mass drop but since this is friday, it'll be Monday before I hear anything.
Oof, sorry you're having to deal with it too. My first pair were very sensitive like yours. Hopefully you don't have my god awful luck & your next pair won't be nearly as bad.

I'm still waiting on @FocalOfficial to say whether or not the Clear has this same SPL design. That's going to make or break my purchase. I need to know before I buy because I am not going through what I went through with the Elex for a third time.

May 11, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #730 of 2,030
Oof, sorry you're having to deal with it too. My first pair were very sensitive like yours. Hopefully you don't have my god awful luck & your next pair won't be nearly as bad.

I'm still waiting on @FocalOfficial to say whether or not the Clear has this same SPL design. That's going to make or break my purchase. I need to know before I buy because I am not going through what I went through with the Elex for a third time.

I'm going to try why so serious track mentioned here and see how it fares. If it exhibits the same issue, it's getting replaced until I get a proper pair.

May 11, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #731 of 2,030
Every time I read about the Elex clipping, I cringe. I haven't heard any on my set but this is making me nervous. Is it that obvious? Am I missing it? Or is my set one of the lucky majority?

I was listening earlier and thought I heard clipping but replayed the passage and nope, no clipping. I feel like I'm listening with anticipation to hear clipping but nothing confirmed on my end. Not exactly the funnest way to listen.

Has anyone recorded and posted the issue?

May 11, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #732 of 2,030
Every time I read about the Elex clipping, I cringe. I haven't heard any on my set but this is making me nervous. Is it that obvious? Am I missing it? Or is my set one of the lucky majority?

I was listening earlier and thought I heard clipping but replayed the passage and nope, no clipping. I feel like I'm listening with anticipation to hear clipping but nothing confirmed on my end. Not exactly the funnest way to listen.

Has anyone recorded and posted the issue?

This is the track I was listening to. I believe it is on spotify. Check it out at various levels and see if you find anything on any level. I suspect that all drivers have this issue but might exhibit on different volumes. Hence why I believe focal releasing it's stunt.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #733 of 2,030
why a relatively large company like focal has such a driver issue ever since utopia, elear, and elex? I never had any driver issue of headphone came from a small company like mrspeakers.

May 11, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #734 of 2,030
I just got mine today and I hear the clipping issue too. I'm using fiio x5iii. Song: Fifth of whisky from Banshee OST. I know that has a lot of sub bass and gave it a whirl at high gain. The volume was 60. I believe fiio has it mapped to actual db. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. Clipping within the first 30 seconds. Changed it to low gain, same volume. Clipping again. This is a shame as I have been trying out other songs and I like these when they are not defective. Billie Jean sounds great and that is one of the songs I always try. Something is definitely not right. I don't believe focal. There is some driver issue going on. Don't know if these were previously returned elear modified as elex. I've contacted mass drop but since this is friday, it'll be Monday before I hear anything.
Responded to your post on Massdrop as well. Hate to hear that you, along with others, are having this issue. I really am enjoying my pair and so far have not experienced this.

I found on YouTube the track you were referring to and listened to it at the normal volumes I would listen, and then at much higher and still no clipping. Certainly seems like a great bass and sub-bass stress test!!! This level of bass and sub-bass is not likely to match the musical tastes of everyone, and if this level is what it takes to expose the problem then in fact many may live quite happily with their Elex headphones never tripping over the problem... I am not saying that is good, just saying that the number of problems may be under reported...

I think that all Elex (and ideally Elear) owners on this thread should play this track and see if they experience the clipping at reasonable levels on their cans, and report here. My results are fortunately NO PROBLEM.

Luck of the draw definitely is playing a role, which tells me there are QC escapes at Focal. I am lucky so far, but until this is understood and addressed I don't imagine I will be looking to upgrade to Clear or Utopia cans... Too many great headphones out there to deal with a dodgy manufacturer.

I am inclined to indict Focal and not Massdrop - they did the manufacturing after all. Even if, somehow, Massdrop convinced them to "cut a corner" a high end luxury brand like Focal would have / should have known much better. It is the Focal brand, after all, that is proudly stamped on the side of the earphones.

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #735 of 2,030
Responded to your post on Massdrop as well. Hate to hear that you, along with others, are having this issue. I really am enjoying my pair and so far have not experienced this.

I found on YouTube the track you were referring to and listened to it at the normal volumes I would listen, and then at much higher and still no clipping. Certainly seems like a great bass and sub-bass stress test!!!

I think that all Elex owners on this thread should play this track and see if they experience the clipping at reasonable levels on their cans, and report here. My results are fortunately NO PROBLEM.

Luck of the draw definitely is playing a role, which tells me there are QC escapes at Focal. I am lucky so far, but until this is understood and addressed I don't imagine I will be looking to upgrade to Clear or Utopia cans... Too many great headphones out there to deal with a dodgy manufacturer.

I am inclined to indict Focal and not Massdrop - they did the manufacturing after all. Even if, somehow, Massdrop convinced them to "cut a corner" a high end luxury brand like Focal would have / should have known much better. It is Focal that is proudly stamped on the side of the earphones.

Saw the reply there. I don't hold massdrop responsible at all. This is all focal. There is some definite qc issue and their reply does not sit well with me. This will be the last focal purchase from me. I would have lived with clipping at >90 db. I'm not going to listen at that level anyway. But this is not acceptable. I still like this headphone enough to give it a chance but that would be it.

Ps: Funny enough, the clipping is worse in Just be good to me by SOS band. It's more like tapping. I'm not sure if it's the driver or I've never heard it before on my previous midfi headphones, but the fact that the tapping is in the right ear where the driver issue is more, I am leaning towards driver issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back