Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Apr 25, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #511 of 2,030
Going back to the Elex and based in your comments, would you say that it demands an amp with good power for the sub-bass region?
I don’t know I’d be completely speculating. I mean the Elex doesn’t sound bad with the MCTH. It’s just it sounds better with the rHead, and I would never know this if I didn't try both.

Apr 25, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #513 of 2,030
You probably have a defective pair because the Elex should be able to handle low bass better than K7XX and HD6XX.

Apr 25, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #514 of 2,030
Anything with heavy subbass. Jay-Z & Kanye West's "Otis", White Stripes's "7 Nation Army" Glitch Mob remix, The Weeknd's "Call Out My Name", etc. It happens sometimes with midbass too & I get random pops regardless of frequency range. Something's going on. I just can't tell what, because it happens on my Magni 3 with low & high gain + my CTH.
I listened to these three tracks with my Elex through the RME ADI-2 DAC > MCTH as well as the ADI-2 DAC's amp and didn't hear anything like you've described. I did this with Qobuz Sublime+ and Tidal since I don't actually own any of those tracks.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #516 of 2,030
So, I need a favor from those of you who have it. I'm thinking maybe I just have the volume cranked too high since these are relatively low impedance. Do yours distort at all with higher volumes & if so how badly + at what "time" on the pot (12 oclock, 3 oclock, etc.)?

I listen pretty loud to metal, about 11 o clock on the Jot at regular gain. No distortions.
HOWEVER, I do notice that my left driver in particular is sensitive to static electricity. I live in a very dry area so I get lots of static from the leather chair I use. (As an example, if I slide off my chair really fast, it generates so much static that my computer monitor actually blanks out for a second, even if I don't touch it.)
I notice that if I handle my Elex and shock it, the left driver wigs out until I unplug and re-plug it.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #517 of 2,030
Damn, I was thinking about picking a pair of these up on the used market if they showed up, but the fact that one user already reporting popping/crackling in the bass is worrying. Thats what happened with my Utopia. Could any user try some bass heavy music with an EQ bass boost (nothing crazy) and see if they get any crackling or popping? Thanks.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #518 of 2,030
I listen pretty loud to metal, about 11 o clock on the Jot at regular gain. No distortions.
HOWEVER, I do notice that my left driver in particular is sensitive to static electricity. I live in a very dry area so I get lots of static from the leather chair I use. (As an example, if I slide off my chair really fast, it generates so much static that my computer monitor actually blanks out for a second, even if I don't touch it.)
I notice that if I handle my Elex and shock it, the left driver wigs out until I unplug and re-plug it.
I decided to crank it on a track that has minimum bass, Adele's "Skyfall" at 3 oclock. No issues. I haven't shocked mine yet, but I did try the plug & unplug trick. That doesn't help me unfortunately. I don't know if I'll have to pay return shipping to Massdrop (if I do that's gonna suck) and I don't know how long it'll take to get a new pair since they're made to the order. This could be bad.

VLzzBNj.gif

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #519 of 2,030
Damn, I was thinking about picking a pair of these up on the used market if they showed up, but the fact that one user already reporting popping/crackling in the bass is worrying. Thats what happened with my Utopia. Could any user try some bass heavy music with an EQ bass boost (nothing crazy) and see if they get any crackling or popping? Thanks.
Oh good (or bad), there's precedent from Focal with this sort of thing. I'm still worried it's user error but I'm pretty sure it's these headphones.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #520 of 2,030
Oh good (or bad), there's precedent from Focal with this sort of thing. I'm still worried it's user error but I'm pretty sure it's these headphones.

Tons of people with the Elear and some Utopia have owners reported similar problems. Its a known problem, and the reason I moved on from the Utopia. I didn't want to deal with it happening again. I hoped that with the Elex, Focal would have remedied it, but it appears they haven't. Its a very frustrating problem if you listen loudly, or listen to music with a lot of heavy bass content. Its weird as the headphones still play music fine at lower levels, and without heavy bass content, am I right? Mine did. I figured it must have something to do with driver excursion and something loosening over time.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #521 of 2,030
I decided to crank it on a track that has minimum bass, Adele's "Skyfall" at 3 oclock. No issues. I haven't shocked mine yet, but I did try the plug & unplug trick. That doesn't help me unfortunately. I don't know if I'll have to pay return shipping to Massdrop (if I do that's gonna suck) and I don't know how long it'll take to get a new pair since they're made to the order. This could be bad.

I just tried the Otis track on high volume and I can report no distortions or popping present.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #522 of 2,030
Tons of people with the Elear and some Utopia have owners reported similar problems. Its a known problem, and the reason I moved on from the Utopia. I didn't want to deal with it happening again. I hoped that with the Elex, Focal would have remedied it, but it appears they haven't. Its a very frustrating problem if you listen loudly, or listen to music with a lot of heavy bass content. Its weird as the headphones still play music fine at lower levels, and without heavy bass content, am I right? Mine did. I figured it must have something to do with driver excursion and something loosening over time.
I guess I should've done more research before jumping in. These having the same driver as the Elear explains it. I'm still trying to listen now albeit at a much lower volume than I'm used to (I'm a loud listener & most of my music is bass heavy - rip me) & they sound great. I just know I'll love them if the bass wasn't messed up :frowning2:

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #523 of 2,030
I guess I should've done more research before jumping in. These having the same driver as the Elear explains it. I'm still trying to listen now albeit at a much lower volume than I'm used to (I'm a loud listener & most of my music is bass heavy - rip me) & they sound great. I just know I'll love them if the bass wasn't messed up :frowning2:

I felt the same way about my Utopia. Amazing headphones, but then CRACK POPOPOPOP. It kinda ruins the mood.

Anyhow I hope Massdrop does you right and sends you a new pair. Please keep us updated.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #524 of 2,030
I just tried the Otis track on high volume and I can report no distortions or popping present.
Ok can you try a non-bass test for me. Aloe Blacc - Ticking Bomb. Start at 2:27. I'm getting lots of crackling from :27 to :40 but it's not from the percussion. It seems like it's from his voice. I can replicate it on command too.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #525 of 2,030
I don't know if I'll have to pay return shipping to Massdrop (if I do that's gonna suck) and I don't know how long it'll take to get a new pair since they're made to the order. This could be bad.
This shouldn't be too big of a problem. Massdrop usually receives approx. 5-10% over the stated drop cut-off amount specifically to deal with defective exchanges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back