Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Apr 6, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #1,396 of 1,441
How do I use it then?
Also there could be problem with pin (I mean how do I find the exact same size)?
It's just a charging plug that you can order and make it custom, make sure to wire the right polarity though.
Dial the voltage output to 28V, the positive (red) line goes to the inside of the charging jack and all you need is 1.25A of power.
Capture.PNG

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,397 of 1,441
May 14, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #1,398 of 1,441
So I recently got one of these 2nd hand for only €50. What a steal. The LPS I added was more expensive :dt880smile:

GREAT amp with the stock EH 6922 tube. Indeed some channel imbalance at very low volumes only, nothing new.

Question though: have any of you also encountered soft hiss when swapping in E88CCs? I've tried a Valvo, a Telefunken, a Philips SQ. All of them give a bit of a flashback to a tape deck :smile: None of that when I put them in my Eufonika H7mk2 amp though, so it doesn't seem to be the tubes.

Also no hiss with the stock EH 6922.

Any of you encountered the same?

May 17, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #1,399 of 1,441
I've only tried the stock EH 2622 tube and a new production Genelex Gold Lion 6922 tube with this amp. Both were quiet. Didn't notice excess hiss.

Are the tubes you're trying quiet in other amps? Are you giving the tubes enough time to warm up before passing judgement? Some 6922 and compatible tubes need about 10 minutes of warm up before they get quiet and lose the hiss or hum. And some NOS 6922 tubes available now are more microphonic than the same tubes that were being sold several years ago. A lot of the good measuring and good performing and non-microphonic NOS 6922 tubes have been bought up and what we have now are the lower quality leftovers being sold at premium prices.

May 17, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #1,400 of 1,441
I've only tried the stock EH 2622 tube and a new production Genelex Gold Lion 6922 tube with this amp. Both were quiet. Didn't notice excess hiss.

Are the tubes you're trying quiet in other amps? Are you giving the tubes enough time to warm up before passing judgement? Some 6922 and compatible tubes need about 10 minutes of warm up before they get quiet and lose the hiss or hum. And some NOS 6922 tubes available now are more microphonic than the same tubes that were being sold several years ago. A lot of the good measuring and good performing and non-microphonic NOS 6922 tubes have been bought up and what we have now are the lower quality leftovers being sold at premium prices.
In fact and regardless of the forum's members input, I rolled a few of the best known 6922 tubes but came back to the same conclusion that not much audible difference exists between different tubes and the included EH tube is good enough.
I left the Genalex Gold Lion one in though. I believe an LPS is the only upgrade in the case of the CTH.

May 17, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #1,402 of 1,441
Yes, these E88CCs are quiet in other amps. I guess it really have to be 6922s, which I don’t have other than the stock EHs.

E88CC are basically the European version of Americas 6922s. No difference between them. If you have old NOS E88CC tubes it could be that. I’ve noticed New Production tubes are much quieter that some old NOS tubes.

May 21, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #1,404 of 1,441
I'm getting a Ninja Cable for my Focal Clear, and I'm (of course) using a CTH+SDAC. I've seen videos and read that the SE and balanced output sound the same. But I tried the balanced cable supplied by Focal and I hear a difference. It might be expectation bias but regardless, I'm buying the balanced cable for my Clears!:wink:

May 22, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #1,405 of 1,441
I'm getting a Ninja Cable for my Focal Clear, and I'm (of course) using a CTH+SDAC. I've seen videos and read that the SE and balanced output sound the same. But I tried the balanced cable supplied by Focal and I hear a difference. It might be expectation bias but regardless, I'm buying the balanced cable for my Clears!:wink:
Whatever makes you happier, a balanced cable is always useful but the fact that the CTH inputs are not balanced defies the concept.

May 22, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #1,406 of 1,441
Understood. What's your opinion of the Focal cable? I've read differing opinions here ranging from the cable's trash to it's as good as any other. I'm thinking that if the Ninja cable is better, regardless if the sound is the same from both outputs, I'll hear an improvement! But even if I don't, the balanced cable provided by Focal is too long so... plus I'll be ready for the next amp!:wink:

May 23, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,407 of 1,441
Understood. What's your opinion of the Focal cable? I've read differing opinions here ranging from the cable's trash to it's as good as any other. I'm thinking that if the Ninja cable is better, regardless if the sound is the same from both outputs, I'll hear an improvement! But even if I don't, the balanced cable provided by Focal is too long so... plus I'll be ready for the next amp!:wink:
The Original Focal cable regardless of it being bulky and long is made of very high grade materials and normally priced separately at $200. Not sure you can have an upgrade over it audio wise.
Corpse Cable are as good and made of high grade components:
https://corpsecable.com/collections/elear

Aug 13, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #1,408 of 1,441
I still have my cth to this day, and I think it can still hang with higher end amps, especially if you have modded it with upgraded tubes. one of the party tricks that the CTH does well for me is really brings the HD6xx imaging and soundstage more pinpoint, CTH makes the HD6xx sort of lively in the top end and also vastly improves its gaming performance. I also think one of the strengths of this amp is also micro detail of string instruments, they have very nice bite and texture.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #1,410 of 1,441
I still have my cth to this day, and I think it can still hang with higher end amps, especially if you have modded it with upgraded tubes. one of the party tricks that the CTH does well for me is really brings the HD6xx imaging and soundstage more pinpoint, CTH makes the HD6xx sort of lively in the top end and also vastly improves its gaming performance. I also think one of the strengths of this amp is also micro detail of string instruments, they have very nice bite and texture.
I feel the same. This little amp certainly punches above its price point. With a 1940's 6C8G Sylvania (green leaf logo), it sounds absolutely wonderful with my HE500 and Utopia (whenever I bring these two to work). Yeah, it is a few notches below my home setup, but sometimes this little guy surprises me. For example, I brought my HE500 to work last week and listened to it on my CTH for the first time in probably two years, and I forgot how well my humble work CTH+Modi 3 setup synergized with my HE500.

Not my exact work setup below, but you get the idea. For the CTH to use a 6C8G tube, one needs a 6922/6DJ8 socket saver and a 6F8G/6C8G to 6922/6DJ8 adapter:

KfmGwNM.jpg

Home:

EO0wAfS.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back