Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Mar 17, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #1,366 of 1,441
I received my 6922 JJ tube this morning, so here we go! I guess the tube will need a bit of break-in, as it appears that even though most audio hardware doesn't need to, tubes really benefit for a bit of break-in.

For now, there is an undeniable details loss, but the sound is more engaging. It is less analytical and more 'relaxed', even though it's not the level of my Bravo Audio Ocean, which has a lot less details but has a warmer sound (probably due to the usage of a 12AU7 preamp tube). The bass is also -no surprise here- looser than with the EH tube.

Finally, using this tube doesn't give a very 'warm' sound like some hybrid amps are capable of ; it's still more on the neutral side than on the 'very warm' side.

I'll test the tube thouroughly in the next days and give my detailed impressions later on :)

On the other hand, when I rolled the EH tube, I saw that one of the pin was really torned, even though it was in the amp for something like 2 months. Can this be a problem for the amp even if the tube fits perfectly?
You should never expect a "too warm" sound from an SS output stage amp, The warmest from the stock EH won't go beyond a 10% warmer even with an LPS or a $200 tube.
The JJ is as warm as it gets in a cost effective way and loosing details is on the same opposite slider to warm sound.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #1,367 of 1,441
You should never expect a "too warm" sound from an SS output stage amp, The warmest from the stock EH won't go beyond a 10% warmer even with an LPS or a $200 tube.
The JJ is as warm as it gets in a cost effective way and loosing details is on the same opposite slider to warm sound.
Well that also depends on the amp itself and the tube. On my Bravo Audio Ocean I got a sound signature I would clearly qualify as "warm".

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #1,368 of 1,441
Well that also depends on the amp itself and the tube. On my Bravo Audio Ocean I got a sound signature I would clearly qualify as "warm".
Want a real tube sound, go OTL and I highly recommend the Darkvoice 336SE, You can tube roll all you want there.

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,369 of 1,441
Want a real tube sound, go OTL and I highly recommend the Darkvoice 336SE, You can tube roll all you want there.
I already thought about buying one but I don't want to bother with tube rolling, plus the heat emitted by the unit is pretty damn high, which is something I really dislike about OTL amps.
If I ever buy one I think it'll be a high-end OTL amp after I upgrade to better headphones, so not tomorrow ^^

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,370 of 1,441
I already thought about buying one but I don't want to bother with tube rolling, plus the heat emitted by the unit is pretty damn high, which is something I really dislike about OTL amps.
If I ever buy one I think it'll be a high-end OTL amp after I upgrade to better headphones, so not tomorrow ^^
I have two OTL headphone amplifiers that do not emit concerning levels of heat: Bottlehead Crack, Woo Audio WA3. The tubes obviously get warm / hot in operation, and the power transformer warms in running. The other areas of these two h/p/a are fine in use. The heat issue with the DV seems to be related to the design of the DV (vent holes on the side?).

Mar 17, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,371 of 1,441
I have two OTL headphone amplifiers that do not emit concerning levels of heat: Bottlehead Crack, Woo Audio WA3. The tubes obviously get warm / hot in operation, and the power transformer warms in running. The other areas of these two h/p/a are fine in use. The heat issue with the DV seems to be related to the design of the DV (vent holes on the side?).
Those are already great mid-level amps, while the DarkVoice is an entry-level one.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #1,373 of 1,441
Hi guys. My stock tube on CTH does not light up when i turn it on which lead to no output sound. The led on CTH still white and the tube is quite hot as usual. I don't know if my tube is defected or not.
First thing to do is to try another tube, most probably it’s the tube.

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #1,374 of 1,441
How does the BHC compares to the WA3 ? Is it speedballed and did you try a can lower than 150 Ohms with it ?

Aug 22, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,375 of 1,441
I have a quick question about this amp. Was checking this amp out and the little dot 1+ I’m wondering if anybody has compared the 2 and which is the better buy for around the same price? I’m currently using an xduoo mt-602 but I feel like it’s lacking in soundstage and some other stuff

Aug 22, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #1,376 of 1,441
I have a quick question about this amp. Was checking this amp out and the little dot 1+ I’m wondering if anybody has compared the 2 and which is the better buy for around the same price? I’m currently using an xduoo mt-602 but I feel like it’s lacking in soundstage and some other stuff
Hello,
As a Ld1+ user I can say that it is good.
I also find it better than the Vali 2 I had back then.
I can't compare it with the Cth because I never had it.
What I found out about it was that it is currently not available on Massdrop.
And that the power supply unit often fails and it's hard to find a replacement.
And that it should be even more problematic for the European version.

That's why I avoided it.
However, I must also say that the LD1+ also has quality problems.
Although mine was new and had about 300 hours on it, a capacitor and a tube socket were defective.
Either it was just bad luck or a product from an assembly line.

However, it was repairable, I simply replaced the capacitors with higher quality ones and both tube sockets and it runs again.
It wasn't too big a deal if you're a bit handy.
If need be, any electrician who repairs electrical appliances can do it.

In general, I find hybrid amplifiers that are equipped with only one tube somewhat suboptimal.
I have another hybrid amplifier here that also only has one tube, and I just miss something.
It simply lacks headroom, detail resolution, charm and depth.
The hybrid amplifier I'm still testing also seems too far away from the music and a bit wibbly.

I have to say that the Ld1+ does it better, especially after my conversion.

I think a hybrid amplifier that is controlled with such small tubes should have at least two tubes rather than just one in order to get better sound performance.
At least that is my impression of the hybrid amplifiers I have tested.
I never kept one for a long time because it became obvious over time and I wasn't happy with it.

Except for the Ld1+, I fell in love with it at the beginning and love it even more after the conversion.
I would still go for the Ld1+, also for the reason that it can be repaired if something is wrong with it.
And also because it has an adequate tube family that Littel dot has implemented very well.
If necessary, you can still play with op amps if you are still missing something.

Aug 22, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,377 of 1,441
Hello,
As a Ld1+ user I can say that it is good.
I also find it better than the Vali 2 I had back then.
I can't compare it with the Cth because I never had it.
What I found out about it was that it is currently not available on Massdrop.
And that the power supply unit often fails and it's hard to find a replacement.
And that it should be even more problematic for the European version.

That's why I avoided it.
However, I must also say that the LD1+ also has quality problems.
Although mine was new and had about 300 hours on it, a capacitor and a tube socket were defective.
Either it was just bad luck or a product from an assembly line.

However, it was repairable, I simply replaced the capacitors with higher quality ones and both tube sockets and it runs again.
It wasn't too big a deal if you're a bit handy.
If need be, any electrician who repairs electrical appliances can do it.

In general, I find hybrid amplifiers that are equipped with only one tube somewhat suboptimal.
I have another hybrid amplifier here that also only has one tube, and I just miss something.
It simply lacks headroom, detail resolution, charm and depth.
The hybrid amplifier I'm still testing also seems too far away from the music and a bit wibbly.

I have to say that the Ld1+ does it better, especially after my conversion.

I think a hybrid amplifier that is controlled with such small tubes should have at least two tubes rather than just one in order to get better sound performance.
At least that is my impression of the hybrid amplifiers I have tested.
I never kept one for a long time because it became obvious over time and I wasn't happy with it.

Except for the Ld1+, I fell in love with it at the beginning and love it even more after the conversion.
I would still go for the Ld1+, also for the reason that it can be repaired if something is wrong with it.
And also because it has an adequate tube family that Littel dot has implemented very well.
If necessary, you can still play with op amps if you are still missing something.
Thanks a lot for the reply I really appreciate it. I might just pick one up and try it out and see if I like it. I want to mod it with some new tubes and a new opamp so hopefully it would be even better. But I’m not bad with electronics so if anything broke I’ll probably be able to fix it hopefully.I can solder keyboards and a lot of that stuff

Sep 25, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #1,378 of 1,441
Hi, new CTH user here.
I am planning to roll Tung sol 12AT7 with this adapter. Can anybody tell me if there is a reason for me to be concerned about frying the circuit? I know it is only recommended to roll 6922 but I am not sure how unsafe it is to not follow the recommendation.

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #1,379 of 1,441
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #1,380 of 1,441

Users who are viewing this thread

Back