Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,342 of 1,442
Why on earth this thread went dead ? 😥😥😥
Probably coz you knew I bought a Darkvoice ??? lol

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,344 of 1,442
Well am burning the stock EH and tested both the Gold Lion and JJ.
JJ seems the warmest, EH the all rounder and Gold Lion the most analytical and transparent.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #1,345 of 1,442
Well am burning the stock EH and tested both the Gold Lion and JJ.
JJ seems the warmest, EH the all rounder and Gold Lion the most analytical and transparent.
Oh right, a question I've been wondering for a while.

Before getting the CTH I had a Bravo Audio Ocean, and I replaced the crappy stock tube with a JJ one (12AU7), which gave a very warm but pleasant sound.

How does a JJ 6922 sound inside the CTH? Does it give the "warm touch" tube amps often give, or is it still mostly neutral (the EH being even more I suppose)?

I'm wondering about getting a JJ tube but the transport fees are high where I live so I'd prefer to not buy it if I'm not sure about the sound :p

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,346 of 1,442
Oh right, a question I've been wondering for a while.

Before getting the CTH I had a Bravo Audio Ocean, and I replaced the crappy stock tube with a JJ one (12AU7), which gave a very warm but pleasant sound.

How does a JJ 6922 sound inside the CTH? Does it give the "warm touch" tube amps often give, or is it still mostly neutral (the EH being even more I suppose)?

I'm wondering about getting a JJ tube but the transport fees are high where I live so I'd prefer to not buy it if I'm not sure about the sound :p
In fact the JJ was the cheapest tube I got but i need to admit it gives the most warm tubey sound along the 3 I have and in fact my preferred one.
Tube Depot did not have the gold pin version though, so I would recommend it if you decide to get the JJ.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #1,347 of 1,442
In fact the JJ was the cheapest tube I got but i need to admit it gives the most warm tubey sound along the 3 I have and in fact my preferred one.
Tube Depot did not have the gold pin version though, so I would recommend it if you decide to get the JJ.
The only version I can get where I live is the "basic" one, so I'll have to stick with it.
Is there a lot of details loss with this tube compared to the EH? I've seen comments saying the JJ is crappy on this side and others telling it was really good compared to EH tubes.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,348 of 1,442
The only version I can get where I live is the "basic" one, so I'll have to stick with it.
Is there a lot of details loss with this tube compared to the EH? I've seen comments saying the JJ is crappy on this side and others telling it was really good compared to EH tubes.
Not much details lost that may affect the listening pleasure. For the cost it’s a steal if you are looking for the tubey sound.
And to be clear, the CTH is designed around the EH and nothing much you can do to affect the sound in a major way. It is a pleasant amp and the JJ is a must for it IMO.
If you want more tube sounding get an OTL. As the CTH got me hooked with the warm sound which lead my to the conclusion that no further investment is worth doing on it as it is really at its best out of the box.
Save any additional investment towards an OTL if you want a full tube experience as long as you have dynamic cans.
The CTH is the closest you can reach using a planar.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #1,349 of 1,442
Not much details lost that may affect the listening pleasure. For the cost it’s a steal if you are looking for the tubey sound.
And to be clear, the CTH is designed around the EH and nothing much you can do to affect the sound in a major way. It is a pleasant amp and the JJ is a must for it IMO.
If you want more tube sounding get an OTL. As the CTH got me hooked with the warm sound which lead my to the conclusion that no further investment is worth doing on it as it is really at its best out of the box.
Save any additional investment towards an OTL if you want a full tube experience as long as you have dynamic cans.
The CTH is the closest you can reach using a planar.
Thanks for your feedback :wink:

I've thought for a long time about getting an OTL amp such as the Bottlehead Crack or the Xduoo TA-30, but I'm happy with the sound quality and form factor of the CTH + I hate amos that very hot due to the materials of my desk.
I just find the CTH to lack of a *bit* of warmth, so I'll definitely try the JJ tube.
Thanks for your help :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #1,350 of 1,442
Thanks for your feedback :wink:

I've thought for a long time about getting an OTL amp such as the Bottlehead Crack or the Xduoo TA-30, but I'm happy with the sound quality and form factor of the CTH + I hate amos that very hot due to the materials of my desk.
I just find the CTH to lack of a *bit* of warmth, so I'll definitely try the JJ tube.
Thanks for your help :)
As far as i know the TA-30 is also a hybrid. In fact it’s wise to be satisfied with the CTH as going OTL is an endless rabbit hole 😂😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back