Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Sep 17, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #1,156 of 1,441
This experiment with the 6sn7s is rather interesting and if the amp is happy with the extra heater current, it opens up the range/quality of this project yet again - eagerly waiting the soak test results, Guido. If the parts get too hot, could the use of mini clip-on/glue heatsinks assist?

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,157 of 1,441
So far there's no difference in temperature of the amp by feel. Everything is running perfect. The tube has been burning in for 36 hours straight.

This experiment with the 6sn7s is rather interesting and if the amp is happy with the extra heater current, it opens up the range/quality of this project yet again - eagerly waiting the soak test results, Guido. If the parts get too hot, could the use of mini clip-on/glue heatsinks assist?

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,158 of 1,441
Sep 23, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #1,159 of 1,441
It's been a week, and I'm totally blown away with what I'm hearing with the 6sn7 in this amp! Never imagined it get any better than where I was at using the ecc801s with an adapter.
No issues whatsoever.
I'm leaving for Florida this morning and like I mentioned in my previous post. I'll get to spend a day at a friends listening to a Lyr3 , with the multibit module. Really curious to see how the mcth stacks up against it. Taking my cans and laptop with me. I'll post some thoughts during my session with the Lyr.

Sep 23, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #1,160 of 1,441
It's been a week, and I'm totally blown away with what I'm hearing with the 6sn7 in this amp! Never imagined it get any better than where I was at using the ecc801s with an adapter.
No issues whatsoever.

animals-lemmings-optimistic-cliffs-animals-cartoon-mlyn828_low.jpg

Could not resist... :wink:

Sep 23, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,162 of 1,441
My LPS shows how many amps are being drawn from my CTH. I'm pretty sure it shows slight differences between my tubes as it usually shows 0.38 amps with my electro harmonix and.0.40 with my Mullard.

It should easily tell us whether the 6sn7 gets all the power it wants or if the CTH just limits it. I'm not sure if it's that difficult to manually measure this, but I'm just throwing this suggestion out there. I don't have any tube adapters though and I'm leaving my apartment till Oct 19th

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #1,164 of 1,441
Any idea how a CTH + SDAC would compare to an LH Geek Pulse? The CTH combo is $220 on Massdrop... I have a balanced cable already for my HE-560 so this is definitely tempting.
Just so you know the CTH is not actually a balanced amp it just has a balanced connection on it as that is what Alex (Cavalli) prefers for a headphone connection. It is still a very good amp though with plenty of power for most headphones and plenty for the 560’s as it does the 500’s justice as well.

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #1,165 of 1,441
Hey guys I just got myself a CTH I won it in an eBay auction for $91. So the amperex 6922 tubes are good right. I found a pair I'm good condition for $23 and I wanna make sure that is a good price and worth the money.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #1,166 of 1,441
Hey guys I just got myself a CTH I won it in an eBay auction for $91. So the amperex 6922 tubes are good right. I found a pair I'm good condition for $23 and I wanna make sure that is a good price and worth the money.

Can you provide a link? Those sound like fakes to me. Most Amperex 6922 go for at least $49 and above. I got one for $49 that is noisy but decent.. Couldn't hurt to buy anyway and see if they are any good. I bought a cheap $10 used RCA tube that is really great and doesn't bring out any specific frequency either.

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #1,168 of 1,441
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tube-6922/323953886204#vi__app-cvip-panel

There's the link. Their vintage 6922 amperex tubes. I sent him a offer of $20 and he accepted.

Yea they aren't fake but they are not the Amperex tubes people are talking about online. Those are Sylvania tubes which is listed in the description.

It seems to me Amperex had a factory where I guess they manufactured tubes other than their own. I'm just speculating, however that label appears on other non-Amperex tubes as well

If you want to find at the Amperex tubes you're most likely looking for, search Amperex bugle boy, Amperex PQ, or Amperex orange globe. There is a great site that list almost all the different kinds of 6922, ECC88 tubes. I'll try to post it here

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #1,169 of 1,441
Hate to double post, but I wanted to give a shout-out to a very recent addition to my CTH, the Topping D70. The dynamic range on this DAC is incomparable to the Smsl Su-8, Sdac and my old Mimby. I have to turn up no CTH twice as much after listening to hip-hop music w/ hd600s because the the softest moments in classical recordings are actually inaudible. I have it running on an EH tube that I'm burning in now so I'm sure it will sound great for everyone :) I highly recommended buying a used Topping D70 or getting it when it appears on Massdrop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back