Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Feb 18, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #1,036 of 1,441
Would I be better off waiting for the THX AAA789 or this CTH would suffice?

Will pair with 650 and perhaps LCD X or Aeolus

Intend to use Mojo as dac tho..
Depends if you're looking for a little bit of tube sound mine sounds very nice very clean I've read that the AAA 789 is very analytical .I use my CTH with t50rp Mach 2 T-XO drives them very well up around 12 o'clock on the dial and using a schiit multi-bit DAC.

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,037 of 1,441
Owning also Cavalli's LP, and following both threads - I was wondering:
Did anyone try to roll 12AU7 tube? Several people reported very good results with the LP...
(I know 12AU7 -> 6922 adapter would be needed)

@runeight Alex - what's your take? Safe / "approved" roll?

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #1,038 of 1,441
Owning also Cavalli's LP, and following both threads - I was wondering:
Did anyone try to roll 12AU7 tube? Several people reported very good results with the LP...
(I know 12AU7 -> 6922 adapter would be needed)

@runeight Alex - what's your take? Safe / "approved" roll?

Well, first, to repeat perhaps too many times, I can't speak for MP and their warranty policies. :)

But, the LP is not really designed to handle a tube which, IIRC, has an op point so far from 6922. My guess is that if the LP could bring itself to a proper operating point (meaning basically 0VDC at the output), the amp would be stressed to do this.

Keep in mind that the internals are set to reach a "design center" operating condition and they are designed to handle reasonable variances around the design center for variations in 6922s. The full range of the LP can handle larger variations than this, but this leads to more power dissipation and higher stress on some of the components. So while it can bring wider variations into center it doesn't expect to stay there and only expects to see those conditions during start up while it is zeroing out the DC and settling everything else.

MHO is that there is risk to do this roll that may not appear immediately.

Feb 18, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #1,039 of 1,441
Well, first, to repeat perhaps too many times, I can't speak for MP and their warranty policies. :)

But, the LP is not really designed to handle a tube which, IIRC, has an op point so far from 6922. My guess is that if the LP could bring itself to a proper operating point (meaning basically 0VDC at the output), the amp would be stressed to do this.

Keep in mind that the internals are set to reach a "design center" operating condition and they are designed to handle reasonable variances around the design center for variations in 6922s. The full range of the LP can handle larger variations than this, but this leads to more power dissipation and higher stress on some of the components. So while it can bring wider variations into center it doesn't expect to stay there and only expects to see those conditions during start up while it is zeroing out the DC and settling everything else.

MHO is that there is risk to do this roll that may not appear immediately.
Thanks Alex.
How about 396A / 2C51 (again, with the proper adapter to 6922) ? My understanding is that THIS one is much closer in spec to 6922 and therefore much smaller risk of long-term stress / damage?

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #1,040 of 1,441
Thanks Alex.
How about 396A / 2C51 (again, with the proper adapter to 6922) ? My understanding is that THIS one is much closer in spec to 6922 and therefore much smaller risk of long-term stress / damage?

As you can see I thought I was in the Platinum thread, but the same analysis still roughly applies. I'll be back.....

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #1,041 of 1,441
Depends if you're looking for a little bit of tube sound mine sounds very nice very clean I've read that the AAA 789 is very analytical .I use my CTH with t50rp Mach 2 T-XO drives them very well up around 12 o'clock on the dial and using a schiit multi-bit DAC.

I guess I like my music true to source/recording; so that means solid state would be better?

What I did w my 650 now is to EQ a mild V to it and run it via Mojo. Sounds awesome w details being more pronounced. Do kinda wonder if I should have gone w the AKG KXX Red

Which multi bit r u using btw?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #1,042 of 1,441
I guess I like my music true to source/recording; so that means solid state would be better?

What I did w my 650 now is to EQ a mild V to it and run it via Mojo. Sounds awesome w details being more pronounced. Do kinda wonder if I should have gone w the AKG KXX Red

Which multi bit r u using btw?
I'm using the modi 3 Multibit DAC with the schiit SYS to switch line inputs to the CTH or the Basx A-100 amp .IMO the CTH has a true sound even with the stock 6922 tube.I also use The AKG 553 pro cans & love the match up.
I don't EQ but maybe I'll give it a go.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #1,043 of 1,441
As you can see I thought I was in the Platinum thread, but the same analysis still roughly applies. I'll be back.....

5ffafd5184140694c0dc42aa9ebefd9e.jpg

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #1,044 of 1,441
When using the CCA tube, i can a faint humming sound that may get stronger or softer. I am not sure if its the cable/electronic interference or the tube is too strong for CTH.

Can anyone advise?

Mar 2, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #1,046 of 1,441
Wondering if any CTH + ZMF Dynamic owners could chime in on why this amp seems to have such good synergy with ZMF cans.

My Atticus is in order, and for $250, I’m really tempted to see what this combo is all about.

I know this is probably the most newbish statement of recent times, but could it have anything to do with this size of the tube (I see a lot of other hybrids using smaller tubes)?

Thanks!!!

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #1,047 of 1,441
Has any had trouble using the Acopian A28NT125 power supply?

Does any have a picture of this unit in their setup? I want to see how you handled the exposed connections ... Which is my only issue in giving this a try

Thanks

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #1,048 of 1,441
Your wallwart is obsolete with an LPS. I used a PC cable I had laying around, and cut off the female and exposing the black, white, and green wires.
On the LPS it should be marked:
+= Black wire(2 amp in line barrel fuse)
- = White wire
Ground is the green wire.

The output from the LPS should be marked "+ & -" output which will run to the amp.

If anyone happens to purchase an LPS , I have no problem walking anyone through the hookup process. I can give you a list of items you'll need for making the connections. Just send me a pm.

Cheers!
I just bought the International Power supply that Guido mentioned. He sent me a list of parts (doesn't look expensive) but I have no experience with manufacturing electrical stuff. Do I have to know how to solder? I wonder whether I could find a local electrician to put one together for me?
This is a great project though!
Paul

Mar 4, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #1,049 of 1,441
I just bought the International Power supply that Guido mentioned. He sent me a list of parts (doesn't look expensive) but I have no experience with manufacturing electrical stuff. Do I have to know how to solder? I wonder whether I could find a local electrician to put one together for me?
This is a great project though!
Paul
Soldering is not that hard and you can get a iron for like $15 that will do just fine with most tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back