Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Feb 4, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #1,021 of 1,441
Back after Guido helped me hook up that lps off ebay. Had an Amperex Orange Globe A frame mailed in last week and to me there's a clear difference. The Amperex sounds euphoric and quite wet. The biggest drawback vs the EH 6922 is that the bass slam on the Amperex is not as big ( it's added wetness is appreciated on my Elex) but not a highlight like the vocals. It's a nice amount a bass, but not enough to make the HD600 slam like the EH can. The EH tube is significantly better at presenting the detail of the source, but forgoes some musicality in pursuit of that.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #1,022 of 1,441
Back after Guido helped me hook up that lps off ebay. Had an Amperex Orange Globe A frame mailed in last week and to me there's a clear difference. The Amperex sounds euphoric and quite wet. The biggest drawback vs the EH 6922 is that the bass slam on the Amperex is not as big ( it's added wetness is appreciated on my Elex) but not a highlight like the vocals. It's a nice amount a bass, but not enough to make the HD600 slam like the EH can. The EH tube is significantly better at presenting the detail of the source, but forgoes some musicality in pursuit of that.

Could you or Guido perhaps offer some info on how to use that PSU? (Or better yet, if @Guidostrunk could point me in the right direction of how he hooked up his Acopian that'd be awesome as I found one for around the same price of the linked PSU.) My CTH will be arriving next week and I too would absolutely love to get the most bang for my buck out of this thing but that device is quite intimidating to me (I'd hate to accidentally blow my nice new Amp!) Also, would upgrading the PS be necessary or just recommended if I decided to roll a 6C8G tube? (The sound of the Tung Sol tubes intrigues me!)

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #1,023 of 1,441
Could you or Guido perhaps offer some info on how to use that PSU? (Or better yet, if @Guidostrunk could point me in the right direction of how he hooked up his Acopian that'd be awesome as I found one for around the same price of the linked PSU.) My CTH will be arriving next week and I too would absolutely love to get the most bang for my buck out of this thing but that device is quite intimidating to me (I'd hate to accidentally blow my nice new Amp!) Also, would upgrading the PS be necessary or just recommended if I decided to roll a 6C8G tube? (The sound of the Tung Sol tubes intrigues me!)

You don't need it for the tube rolling, but it makes the difference of tubes more pronounced imo. You're using the Acopian A28mt300? I can send you some extra supplies I got for mine. Hope I didn't throw you to the wolves Guido! Just didn't want to take credit like I had any clue where to start on my own haha.

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #1,024 of 1,441
Wonder how will this tube sound on CTH.

1B5695C1-FA1D-4A9D-A931-E6F2710EEEB7.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #1,025 of 1,441
Siemens CCa is a fantastic 6922 variant. If you like details, nice 3D soundstage, deep impactful bass. This tube is for you if you stay in the 6922 family. Siemens CCa was too bright of a tube for my taste. I much preferred the Valvo CCa.

With that said. There are far better tubes that require adapters. 2c51/396a, 6c8g, 12at7 are far superior than the best 6922 variants imo.
All subjective though.
Cheers!

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #1,026 of 1,441
I can't stress it enough folks. An external LPS takes this amp to an unbelievable level of SQ. I contemplated on selling my CTH to get a Liquid platinum. After adding the acopian a28mt300 , I'm definitely not selling the CTH now. I honestly don't think the extra $500 will get me much better if at all.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,027 of 1,441
I can't stress it enough folks. An external LPS takes this amp to an unbelievable level of SQ. I contemplated on selling my CTH to get a Liquid platinum. After adding the acopian a28mt300 , I'm definitely not selling the CTH now. I honestly don't think the extra $500 will get me much better if at all.
That LPS is pricey... cost as much as the CTH or more! :frowning2:
(unless you find a good deal on used unit...)
Also, did you create a custom cable to power the CTH?

Feb 12, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #1,028 of 1,441
I found my a28mt300 for $35 shipped. Lol. Granted it looks like someone was playing rugby with it, but it's tucked away out of sight and works flawlessly.
There's a lab LPS that can be had for about $100. Same one @atomicbob used in his testing. An offer of $65 , and you're good to go bro.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/113634380555
That LPS is pricey... cost as much as the CTH or more! :frowning2:
(unless you find a good deal on used unit...)
Also, did you create a custom cable to power the CTH?

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #1,030 of 1,441
I see a few people mention that Linear power supplies cost a lot more money than the little switch mode devices and this is quite true, no doubt about it. However, this is one of those devices where spending a good few $s gets a really excellent return if you're looking for a better sound than the original purchase - it seems these cheap (USA, anyway) labs supply do the job quite well and this is pretty unusual

I got a couple of cheap variable lab supplies in from China (variable voltage/current/etc) and they're rather good for workshop/testing but are not the best for this amp even adding an extra capacitor on the power supply terminals but still a whole lot better than the little unit that is supplied with the amp - a dedicated power supply will probably cost more than the amp itself and this is a fairly normal situation - good power supplies cost good $s

I use Canare 1609 for power between external power supply and amplifier - just use 2 of the 4 available conductors to fit onto the small line plug - I replaced this with a 'proper' plug/socket too
I'm waiting for "vt4c" to reopen after their New Year to get one of their 'tube guards' as the 6C8G is a bit exposed even with the new bigger hole on top of the case (enlarged it to 38mm) for the single change socket (6c8g -> 6922)

One thing that doesn't get much of a mention is the quality of the audio signal feeding this amp - as the supply, etc improves, so must the quality of the music signal - if not, sometimes a better amp will actually sound worse, not better. I've seen this quite often when people lay out a considerable sum and go 'high end' with Stax gear and are sometimes quite disappointed in the result, and not just the venerable Stax either.

Just like anything to do with audio, what suits one person doesn't suit another so keep in mind that my 'mutterings' are just my opinions ….

Feb 13, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #1,031 of 1,441
Feb 13, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #1,032 of 1,441
OK, but I'm not an electrical engineer and so forth. How does one manufacture a cable from the mCTH to the wall?
Or, does the IHC-28 go between the mCTH power supply and the wall?
Break this down for non-technical folks...
Paul

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #1,033 of 1,441
Your wallwart is obsolete with an LPS. I used a PC cable I had laying around, and cut off the female and exposing the black, white, and green wires.
On the LPS it should be marked:
+= Black wire(2 amp in line barrel fuse)
- = White wire
Ground is the green wire.

The output from the LPS should be marked "+ & -" output which will run to the amp.

If anyone happens to purchase an LPS , I have no problem walking anyone through the hookup process. I can give you a list of items you'll need for making the connections. Just send me a pm.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back