Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
May 25, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #691 of 1,441
Any one using the MCTH with a Chord Qutest? I'm looking to spend more money by upgrading from a Modi Multibit to the Qutest

Is this over kill for the MCTH Amp?

Source will just be via optical

I was using my MTCH at work with the Mimby and really like how well they both sounded together. Brought it home as I ended up selling my Mjolnir 2 and paired it with my Gumby. The Gumby resolves slightly better paired with this amp and there's better instrument separation. Maybe it's me but really; I can't tell a big difference compared going from the Mimby+MCTH to Gumby+MTCH compared when I made the jump with the MJ2.

At the price of the Qutest you could purchase a better amp and pair it with a decent DAC.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #692 of 1,441
Any one using the MCTH with a Chord Qutest? I'm looking to spend more money by upgrading from a Modi Multibit to the Qutest

I’ve been using it with the Hugo 2, and I’m enjoying it.

May 25, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #693 of 1,441

I think a Qutest would be overkill for the just an MCTH because I don't think an MCTH is resolving enough for that good a DAC ...unless you're planning to upgrade to a new amp shortly :wink: LOL the upgrade bug in this hobby is expensive!!

May 26, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #694 of 1,441
I was using my MTCH at work with the Mimby and really like how well they both sounded together. Brought it home as I ended up selling my Mjolnir 2 and paired it with my Gumby. The Gumby resolves slightly better paired with this amp and there's better instrument separation. Maybe it's me but really; I can't tell a big difference compared going from the Mimby+MCTH to Gumby+MTCH compared when I made the jump with the MJ2.

At the price of the Qutest you could purchase a better amp and pair it with a decent DAC.

Probably due to balanced DAC-balanced AMP versus balanced DAC-SE AMP? I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

May 26, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #695 of 1,441
Probably due to balanced DAC-balanced AMP versus balanced DAC-SE AMP? I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

From my understanding is that RCA and balanced out from the Gumby pretty much sound the same.

But there is a noticeable difference between SE and balanced out on the MJ2 because of summing.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #700 of 1,441
Has anyone found the input impedance of this amp? I can't find it anywhere... :triportsad:

Haven't come across it, but generally amp makers give us a high enough input impedance that it shouldn't be a real factor in gear matching. Unless you have a source with an unusually high output impedance? Or is there something else I'm not taking into account.

Output impedance, on the other hand can really impact the freq response for some headphones (looking at you here, Andromeda) and/or speakers. But this is a factor only for the amp that is directly driving the transducer (headphone or speaker). Again, unless I am missing something.

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #701 of 1,441
Can someone who has these compare the CTH+SDAC or O2+ODAC or CTH vs Valhalla 2?

Also interested in how it pairs with Beyerdynamic headphones specifically the T1 or T90.

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #702 of 1,441
Can someone who has these compare the CTH+SDAC or O2+ODAC or CTH vs Valhalla2?

Also interested in how it pairs with Beyerdynamic headphones specifically the T1 or T90.
I can answer half of your question: For T1gen1 I'd never recommend / consider the O2/ODAC since its always been a bit on the bright side and with most of the headphone I tried it with a bit thin and hollow sounding. The Valhalla2 is great with some of the darker/warmer headphones like the HD650 and Nighthawk but for most other headphones its a bit on the dry thin side of neutral to me and it doesn't seem to respond to tube rolling like other amps.

I've only spent 2 hours at a friends house using her CTH and even from the short time liked it more than the either O2/ODAC or Valhalla2, just a more full and musical sounding amp to me but it was just a touch bright sounding with the HD700 and HD800 IMO. Didn't get to try the CTH with a T1gen1 since I gave mine to my son a few months ago.

Jun 9, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #704 of 1,441
If there's any head-fiers from New Zealand on here, I've just listed mine for sale on TradeMe: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1660899052

I love the sound and it's a great amp. I bought it mainly because I'd also jumped on the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD6XX drop and needed an amp to power those headphones. But I was finding the HD6XXs really don't have that much bass, and at 300 ohm they were waaay harder to drive than my other headphones, thus requiring an amp as well. I've decided just to stick with easy-to-drive headphones from now on that won't need amping. I sold the HD6XXs a few weeks ago and although the MCT sounds great paired with my B&W P7s, I've decided to simplify my set-up by getting rid of the amp and just going with portable solutions for the foreseeable future, given I hardly seem to be at home these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back