Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Mar 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #438 of 1,442
Mar 16, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #439 of 1,442
That was cold! :wink:

But seriously, typing out than message had to take like 30 some clicks, actually clicking the link only takes one... people have gotta get better at being lazy around here.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #440 of 1,442
But seriously, typing out than message had to take like 30 some clicks, actually clicking the link only takes one... people have gotta get better at being lazy around here.
I totally agree it was faster AND easier to just click on the link. I never said the sarcastic / cold response was not justified :wink:

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #442 of 1,442
Has anyone used the MCTH with the Beyerdynamic T1 or Audeze LCD-X, or indeed with any Beyer or Audeze headphones? Most of the reviews that I've seen talk about how good it sounds with Sennheisers. I have HD-600s, so it's good to know that the MCTH will work well with them, but I'd like to know if it will also work well with my other headphones.

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #443 of 1,442
I just ordered one. Anyone else using this with an he500? I have a feeling this is gonna go really well with the Elex that'll come eventually.

Mar 17, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #444 of 1,442
I just ordered one. Anyone else using this with an he500? I have a feeling this is gonna go really well with the Elex that'll come eventually.

Just gave it a quick listen with the HE500, it's pretty damn good. Popped on a couple of my favorite HE500 + Cavalli amp tracks and the MCTH brought back some nice memories of the Crimson and Glass just now. It's obviously not a $3K plus amp like those others, but it definitely reminds my of why those were my favorite amps of all time with the HE500, if that makes any sense. Lots of similar things going on tonally with the midrange. It's got the same rock n' roll soul.

If you still have that TH600 in your sig, it should be really terrific for that, too. The Crimson and my modded D2000's were always a magic combo. Sounds killer with the MCTH too.

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #446 of 1,442
Just gave it a quick listen with the HE500, it's pretty damn good. Popped on a couple of my favorite HE500 + Cavalli amp tracks and the MCTH brought back some nice memories of the Crimson and Glass just now. It's obviously not a $3K plus amp like those others, but it definitely reminds my of why those were my favorite amps of all time with the HE500, if that makes any sense. Lots of similar things going on tonally with the midrange. It's got the same rock n' roll soul.

If you still have that TH600 in your sig, it should be really terrific for that, too. The Crimson and my modded D2000's were always a magic combo. Sounds killer with the MCTH too.
Awesome, thanks for that! Can't wait to try the pairing out. Currently all I have is a Vali 2 which I may end up selling. For reference, what pads do you use on your he500s? I use focuspads most of the time but I can't help but want just a little treble some times.

Yeah I still have the th600s so that's really good to hear, I use the Dekoni sheepskin thx00 pads on them and I'm putting Emu Zebawood cups on too.

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #447 of 1,442
Awesome, thanks for that! Can't wait to try the pairing out. Currently all I have is a Vali 2 which I may end up selling. For reference, what pads do you use on your he500s? I use focuspads most of the time but I can't help but want just a little treble some times.

Yeah I still have the th600s so that's really good to hear, I use the Dekoni sheepskin thx00 pads on them and I'm putting Emu Zebawood cups on too.

My HE500 is heavily modded with the Jerg fuzzor mod and grill mod. The grill is also pinned in with a thin strip of Sorbothane, which damps the resonant treble frequency generated by the grill. I have a Mood Audio Silver Dragon on it. The pads are based on the FocusPad-A, but have been heavily modded, as well. I published a tutorial on how to do it here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hansotek’s-focuspad-a-mod.748467/

Mar 18, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #448 of 1,442
My HE500 is heavily modded with the Jerg fuzzor mod and grill mod. The grill is also pinned in with a thin strip of Sorbothane, which damps the resonant treble frequency generated by the grill. I have a Mood Audio Silver Dragon on it. The pads are based on the FocusPad-A, but have been heavily modded, as well. I published a tutorial on how to do it here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hansotek’s-focuspad-a-mod.748467/
Oh, thanks for that. I'll have a look. I have jergpads I made myself but I don't use them often. They're just based off the pleather pads and no velour added.

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #449 of 1,442
If anybody is wondering if the CTH pairs well with the Campfire Cascade, the answer is a resounding YES.

Ugh, why did you have to post this?.......

Now I'm considering hopping on this Massdrop deal, lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Would probably get me to bring my TH900 out of the drawer and dusted off as well. Been a long time since I've had a tube amp and only enjoyed that headphone to the fullest out of a tube amp.

Mar 18, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #450 of 1,442
Ugh, why did you have to post this?.......

Now I'm considering hopping on this Massdrop deal, lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Would probably get me to bring my TH900 out of the drawer and dusted off as well. Been a long time since I've had a tube amp and only enjoyed that headphone to the fullest out of a tube amp.

Yeah, I see they are LA900s in your sig. My Denons are close to LA2000s but w/ Ori pads... lots of the mods inside are the same. I jumped on the drop hoping to regain some of the synergy they had with the Crimson and I was not disappointed. It’s a nice amp for easy to drive stuff - the mids are so nice it’s really easy to forget it was only $250.

Real nice match with the Cascade. I see you’re using a Lazuli with it - I’ll have to pull mine off my HD800 and give that a shot tomorrow. I can only imagine how hard the bass is going to hit with that thing on it, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back