Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #406 of 1,441
Let the burn in take its course and see how you feel about it then. If you still feel like the top end still needs a bit more sparkle you can try the Tesla 6922/E88CC (I'm more versed with the NOS version and not the JJ version), or the Tungsram E88CC. Those two aren't expensive and have a bit more treble than some of the other tubes.

I feel the stock tube has a pretty good amount of air but you have choices to slightly modify the sound instead of buying a whole new amp. If the 2C51/5670s are tested and is found that they work perfectly fine with the amp (with the accompanying adapter) then the WE 5 Star Triple mica tube would fit you perfectly.

Burn in may be the fix, as I recall there being even less treble at hour 0; plus it is my experience that higher frequencies tend to be the last to open up and take on the permanent character of amps. My audio budget is currently in the negative, so burn in is the only choice I have at the moment...aside from perhaps selling part of this rig, and that ain't gonna happen.

:) I would recommend this as anyone's first try to change tubes. As you guys have read here and elsewhere, this is not intended as a tube rolling amp and there isn't much change going from 6922 to 6922. But you can work around the edges of the sound pattern if that's all you're trying to do.

The CTH really is designed to get the best out of the 6922 and it can adjust the operating point to optimal for normal variations in the 6922 and equivalents like 6dj8.

If I may, please be cautious using other than 6922. They may work, they may do damage.

Congratulations on a fantastic amp. I've owned and auditioned quite a bit of audio gear, and this piece of kit sounds tremendous; I would estimate its value at at least twice the asking price. Thanks for finding a way to make a piece of Cavalli gear accessible to to masses :iD

Mar 4, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #407 of 1,441
Burn in may be the fix, as I recall there being even less treble at hour 0; plus it is my experience that higher frequencies tend to be the last to open up and take on the permanent character of amps. My audio budget is currently in the negative, so burn in is the only choice I have at the moment...aside from perhaps selling part of this rig, and that ain't gonna happen. :iD

We really can't evaluate the sound signature until at least 50 hours because of the tube. It still sounds pretty good between 0-50, but nothing is really stable until the tube is cleaned up by the getters.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #408 of 1,441
This is my first headphone amp for usage at home, and i'm really liking how this amp is opening up with usage. Yesterday i used it for a few hours with both of my headphones (HE 400i & TH-X00). Today it's only been the He 400i's and its been a very enjoyable listening period this morning :wink:

20180304_101913[1].jpg

Mar 4, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #409 of 1,441
This is my first headphone amp for usage at home, and i'm really liking how this amp is opening up with usage. Yesterday i used it for a few hours with both of my headphones (HE 400i & TH-X00). Today it's only been the He 400i's and its been a very enjoyable listening period this morning :wink:

Is that one of the Venture Electronics cables from Massdrop? I got one for my HD 6XX. I can't really speak to how it sounds as both the cable and my CTH+SDAC arrived a couple days apart, but I love how it looks and feels.

Mar 4, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #410 of 1,441
3A106CF0-07D2-49CB-92AA-DB0AB53F9C9B.jpeg
55B68323-C86C-4299-A11E-5B021A5C753C.jpeg
8F610E57-8969-46E9-9113-EDE63DDB5D70.jpeg
D989EBD9-F8A4-46FC-AA48-D2DE4A83E466.jpeg
DC918352-BC05-4211-A2EC-2F1CCEC61B65.jpeg

Quick pics.

Mar 4, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #412 of 1,441
Hopefully, with the help of Massdrop, more Cavalli designs would make a come-back :wink:

Only if Alex Cavalli is interested and willing despite his retirement, hehe. Then again, once an audiophile, always an audiophile.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #415 of 1,441
It sure is a handsome, understated devil, isn’t it?
Yes it is . Just starting to listen to it with different headphones.It doesn’t do everything great but it does them well. Very good with the HD-6xx’s (650’s) and not bad with the 700’s but still like a bit of warmth for them. It runs the HE-500 and 400’s very well also and can even power a pair of Abyss decently. So far a pretty good amp IMO.

Mar 5, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #416 of 1,441
My Cavalli CTH was delivered on Saturday. Unfortunately, I was out of town and we got 12 inches of snow that day so I returned home to my box covered in snow. This is frustrating as my tracking showed delivery was set for tomorrow. The above pictures of the shipping are fantastic and saved my amp. The internal box was untouched and the foam inserts kept it safe and sound. Albeit, cold. This amp is wonderful. For a $250 amp, it sounds like heaven. It sounds like 5-10 times its price. I have a Wells Audio Milo as my main amp and a Metrum Musette as my DAC. I can say without hesitation the CTH is not out of place in my system. My first listening was with my Dharma D1000's and they sounded as good as ever. In fact, I felt they sounded better through my CTH as my Milo puts out a tad too much power for them. They are almost too efficient for an amp putting out 18 watts. I was nervous it wouldn't drive my ZMF Blackwoods or Ori's sufficiently, but it did. The sound has an ethereal quality I really like. Like floating in the clouds. As it burns in, I believe the treble will open up even more. Out of the box the mid-range was full and clear. I am super happy to have joined this drop and feel the time it took to arrive was well worth the wait.

Mar 5, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #417 of 1,441
The MCTH + Atticus combo is amazing. This amp is the real deal.

Mar 5, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #418 of 1,441
Has anyone else tried rolling a Voshkod Rocket or Reflektor 6N23P, yet?

I realize that Alex has been adamant about lack of need for tube rolling...but...I have gotten a pretty decent change in impact with the Soviet tubes (granted they are already burned in).

I bought both the CTH and LCX, and frankly, the CTH is giving a bit up to the LCX in terms of dynamics and impact...not sure I'll keep both.

-Mark in St. Louis

Mar 5, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #419 of 1,441
Has anyone else tried rolling a Voshkod Rocket or Reflektor 6N23P, yet?

I realize that Alex has been adamant about lack of need for tube rolling...but...I have gotten a pretty decent change in impact with the Soviet tubes (granted they are already burned in).

I bought both the CTH and LCX, and frankly, the CTH is giving a bit up to the LCX in terms of dynamics and impact...not sure I'll keep both.

-Mark in St. Louis

I have a ‘74 6N23P that I can roll but it is not burned in. Other Head-Fiers have recommended a burn in time of 100 hours before they settle. I can bring it in tomorrow and let you know how it sounds.

As a caveat i’d be would be comparing it to a burned in Siemens E88CCs and with the E-Mu Teaks.

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #420 of 1,441
I have a ‘74 6N23P that I can roll but it is not burned in. Other Head-Fiers have recommended a burn in time of 100 hours before they settle. I can bring it in tomorrow and let you know how it sounds.

As a caveat i’d be would be comparing it to a burned in Siemens E88CCs and with the E-Mu Teaks.

That would be cool. I've got a 70's rocket and an 83 Reflector here.

I also have a 50's Beckman/Amperex Gold Pin which I just rolled in...and...it might actually win on balance...still decent impact/dynamics...but with a little more sparkle on the upper end.

I've been trying both amps with a HD600 and HE4XX, here in my office. I also have some Nighthawks...but neither amp seemed to really agree/mesh with them, on first listen (limited time).

I bought the LCX for the HE4XX/planars....Figured I would move "up" to other planars in the future.

At home I use a modded Crack (or modded LD MKIII) with HD700s and T90s.

These amps are just at my office temporarily while I do some construction at home...and right now they are being fed by a Schiit Modi Optical.

At home I have a Music Hall 25.3 DAC (balanced), a M9XX (AK4490), and a SPS NOS DAC3, in the mix...so things will be a bit different, later.

-Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back