Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Mar 1, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #392 of 1,441
Just received it today and got it setup.

Edit: The amp pairing with the HD650 sounds fantastic.

Edit 2: Few observations I want add:
-Tube rolling doesn’t have a big effect on sound like other tube amps. I’ve rolled several tubes from cheap to high end tubes and they’re small changes. I did prefer a burned in Siemens E88CC with my E-Mu Teaks.
-They give the HD650 a very full and dynamic sound. It almost sounds like my AFO with the Mjolnir 2 just with slightly less body. That’s with the included stock tube.
-That volume knob is smooth. It makes the knob on my Mjolnir 2 feel cheap.
-This is a pretty amazing and well built amp for the price. You guys did great job.

Along side the MJ2/Gumby:
632F5FF2-1913-408D-85ED-8E43DB02F429.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #393 of 1,441
Reporting in. Great combo with AFO. I'll be comparing it to the Gilmore Lite mk 2 in the coming days. Both amps come highly recommended for the AFO from Mr. Speakers himself. My source will be Grace m9XX fed through USB.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #394 of 1,441
So I have to say I tend to agree with Phantaminum's assessment of the CTH, this amp doesn't show much difference when tube rolling. I mean you might be able to get some slight changes in sound through trying different tubes options if you already have some. However, I wouldn't go out and purchase some 6922's to try to drastically change the sound, it ain't going to happen. I tried some 6DJ8 Amperex bugle boys and while there was a little more body, it wasn't enough to keep it in there.

Now that said, this amp is very good sounding for the price! I think most people would be extremely happy with this for it's asking price on Massdrop. I would say it has a more neutral sound compared to my Lyr 1, which has a more aggressive sound. Treble sounds hotter and bass hits a little harder. The CTH spreads the love evenly throughout in comparison. I don't know if I will end up keeping this guy or not, I need to do some more extended listening, but it is a really great sounding amp.

Once I get some more listening time in I will report back with some thoughts and give a few comparisons to the Lyr 1.

Mar 3, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #395 of 1,441
Anyone know if you can buy an upgraded power supply from anywhere? Was reading in to the benefits of a linear power supply. Just can't find one in the right form factor and 28v.

I had a bit of a look into it a while back and ended up speaking to a guy who makes linear power supplies and he recommended his 50VA PSU which he'd set to 28VDC:

http://www.reelaudio.co.uk/Shop.shtml#DCPSUAnchor

Would be great to hear any other thoughts on what might work though, I've never bought one before.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #396 of 1,441
Just received it today and got it setup.

Edit: The amp pairing with the HD650 sounds fantastic.

Edit 2: Few observations I want add:
-Tube rolling doesn’t have a big effect on sound like other tube amps. I’ve rolled several tubes from cheap to high end tubes and they’re small changes. I did prefer a burned in Siemens E88CC with my E-Mu Teaks.
-They give the HD650 a very full and dynamic sound. It almost sounds like my AFO with the Mjolnir 2 just with slightly less body. That’s with the included stock tube.
-That volume knob is smooth. It makes the knob on my Mjolnir 2 feel cheap.
-This is a pretty amazing and well built amp for the price. You guys did great job.

Along side the MJ2/Gumby:

I couldn't agree with you more about the volume pot; it is the nicest, smoothest volume pot I have used on any piece of equipment I have ever owned, headphones or otherwise.

Regarding the pairing with the HD 650, I definitely agree that it is an excellent match. Both my HD 6XX and CTH/SDAC are still in the sub-100 hour range, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are regarding the highs with this pairing? I wish there was just a hair more sparkle in the treble, and I'm wondering if something like a Jotunheim might get me that extra bit of high end without too much hit to the musicality this pairing otherwise has.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #397 of 1,441
I couldn't agree with you more about the volume pot; it is the nicest, smoothest volume pot I have used on any piece of equipment I have ever owned, headphones or otherwise.

Regarding the pairing with the HD 650, I definitely agree that it is an excellent match. Both my HD 6XX and CTH/SDAC are still in the sub-100 hour range, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are regarding the highs with this pairing? I wish there was just a hair more sparkle in the treble, and I'm wondering if something like a Jotunheim might get me that extra bit of high end without too much hit to the musicality this pairing otherwise has.

Let the burn in take its course and see how you feel about it then. If you still feel like the top end still needs a bit more sparkle you can try the Tesla 6922/E88CC (I'm more versed with the NOS version and not the JJ version), or the Tungsram E88CC. Those two aren't expensive and have a bit more treble than some of the other tubes.

I feel the stock tube has a pretty good amount of air but you have choices to slightly modify the sound instead of buying a whole new amp. If the 2C51/5670s are tested and is found that they work perfectly fine with the amp (with the accompanying adapter) then the WE 5 Star Triple mica tube would fit you perfectly.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #398 of 1,441
Regarding the pairing with the HD 650, I definitely agree that it is an excellent match...

I have to say I agree that the CTH and the HD6xx/HD650 make a fantastic pairing. I tried the LCD2c with it first and was a little underwhelmed with the results. It didn't sound bad, it just didn't have much to it that made it really enjoyable to listen to. Switching over to the HD6xx fixes that pretty quickly. The more I listen to the HD6xx the more impressed I am with it.

...If the 2C51/5670s are tested and is found that they work perfectly fine with the amp (with the accompanying adapter) then the WE 5 Star Triple mica tube would fit you perfectly.

Is anyone looking into it? I did try it with my WE 396a's and it didn't seem to cause any short term harm, but after you linked me that response from cavalli I ended up taking them out.

Mar 3, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #399 of 1,441
Let the burn in take its course and see how you feel about it then. If you still feel like the top end still needs a bit more sparkle you can try the Tesla 6922/E88CC (I'm more versed with the NOS version and not the JJ version), or the Tungsram E88CC. Those two aren't expensive and have a bit more treble than some of the other tubes.

I feel the stock tube has a pretty good amount of air but you have choices to slightly modify the sound instead of buying a whole new amp. If the 2C51/5670s are tested and is found that they work perfectly fine with the amp (with the accompanying adapter) then the WE 5 Star Triple mica tube would fit you perfectly.

You can also try the Genalex 6922. This was always the stock tube in the Liquid Crimson.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #400 of 1,441
You can also try the Genalex 6922. This was always the stock tube in the Liquid Crimson.

Good call on the Genalex Gold Lions!

I think @Bazirker would be hard pressed not to like any of the recommended tubes, especially yours.

Mar 3, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #401 of 1,441
Good call on the Genalex Gold Lions!

I think @Bazirker would be hard pressed not to like any of the recommended tubes, especially yours.

:) I would recommend this as anyone's first try to change tubes. As you guys have read here and elsewhere, this is not intended as a tube rolling amp and there isn't much change going from 6922 to 6922. But you can work around the edges of the sound pattern if that's all you're trying to do.

The CTH really is designed to get the best out of the 6922 and it can adjust the operating point to optimal for normal variations in the 6922 and equivalents like 6dj8.

If I may, please be cautious using other than 6922. They may work, they may do damage.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #402 of 1,441
@runeight another really good Cavalli amp. Hope you are doing well and have to say just a bit sad the Liquid Ambience want be coming out and the Liquid Tungsten is still one of my favorite amps.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #404 of 1,441
Agreed. The closing of Cavalii is a big loss to the audiophile community.
Hopefully, with the help of Massdrop, more Cavalli designs would make a come-back :wink:

Mar 4, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #405 of 1,441
Anyone can provide the impressions of the CTH with LCD2C & HD800. Tks.
Can anyone provide few snapshots of the unboxing of the CTH.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back