Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Feb 23, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #361 of 1,441
There will definitely be a difference among 6922s. It just won't necessarily be super dramatic, depending on the tube you're swapping in.

Be sure that whatever goes in there is really a 6922 or equivalent. The amp front end will adjust to achieve the 100V plate voltage for the normal variations in the tubes. Tubes like 6N1P for example, which are often called 6922 equivalent, are not really equivalent and shouldn't be used.

@runeight I want to say that will be my first Cavalli amp. The designs for your other amps are beautiful and soon will be rocking out to the CTH. Thanks for collaborating with @CEE TEE and Massdrop to bring this amp to market.

I hope you two *crosses fingers* also move forward with your other amps. I crave the Crimson/Liquid Glass.

Feb 23, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #363 of 1,441
@runeight I want to say that will be my first Cavalli amp. The designs for your other amps are beautiful and soon will be rocking out to the CTH. Thanks for collaborating with @CEE TEE and Massdrop to bring this amp to market.

I hope you two *crosses fingers* also move forward with your other amps. I crave the Crimson/Liquid Glass.

I mean, if the request line is open, I wouldn't mind seeing @runeight and @CEE TEE team up to bring that balanced version of the Crimson from last year's CanJam SoCal to life.... what was it the Liquid Platinum?

cavalli crimson micro 3.JPG

My CTH also just shipped, BTW. This will be my third Cavalli amp, and I too am stoked.

Feb 24, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #364 of 1,441
Mine is here! It's much to early to comment on sound, but I will say it's got a boatload of power compared to my DFR. I will say there's a tiny bit of hiss with my UM Merliins, but within tolerability; my HD 6XX are completely black.

I posted a few unboxing-ish pics over on Massdrop, for those that are interested in that sort of thing (I personally don't like the surprise to be spoiled!) Don't judge my messy workspace, I just finished a thesis yesterday...

I can, however, give thoughts on the hardware, and initial impressions are fantastic. The thing feels rock solid and well made, with tight tolerances and clean metal. The power and USB plugs in the back have the right amount of tightness and feel good and secure. The buttons are clicky and easy to push, but not too easy. Most importantly, the volume pot feels like perfection, with just the right amount of static friction to get it moving followed by nice, smooth movement. Volume changes are smooth, with no jumpiness or audible glitches like I've heard on a few of my other amps (all my Leckertons, for example.)

MVIMG_20180224_132849.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #365 of 1,441
Congrats, Barzirker! Mine is due for delivery via USPS later this afternoon. By the way, if your workspace is too messy, I'll be embarrassed to post where I'm going to be initially using my CTH: it will be in our living room on a coffee table.

Thanks for the impressions on the hardware.

Feb 24, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #367 of 1,441
I have young kids and only got a brief moment to listen during naptime earlier, and just listened again after having let it play for the ~5 hours since. I know Alex said this amp doesn't require a truckload of burn in, although I'll say mine has cleaned up some noticeably since I first plugged it in earlier. I think the treble is a little less than what I'm aiming for with my HD 6XX, but my UM Merlin sounds spectacular. On the Merlin, the bass in particular is much more natural and extended than on any other amp DAC/amp I've owned (including the Leckerton UHA760, Fiio E7/E9 combo, Oppo HA-2, DragonFly Red.)

I got these primarily for use with the HD 6XX, so we'll see how I feel about that pairing ultimately.

Feb 24, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #368 of 1,441
I have young kids and only got a brief moment to listen during naptime earlier, and just listened again after having let it play for the ~5 hours since. I know Alex said this amp doesn't require a truckload of burn in, although I'll say mine has cleaned up some noticeably since I first plugged it in earlier. I think the treble is a little less than what I'm aiming for with my HD 6XX, but my UM Merlin sounds spectacular. On the Merlin, the bass in particular is much more natural and extended than on any other amp DAC/amp I've owned (including the Leckerton UHA760, Fiio E7/E9 combo, Oppo HA-2, DragonFly Red.)

I got these primarily for use with the HD 6XX, so we'll see how I feel about that pairing ultimately.

Update: Just got some more listening time on my HD 6XX. Compared to the DFR, the sound is smoother, as one would expect with a tube amplifier, although I would also say it doesn't seem to be at the expense of precision. Similarly, as one would expect, the sound is not analytical; you should look elsewhere if you want something for studio reference. My preferences definitely lean towards musicality, and that is indeed the style of this amp.

At the moment, I'm listening to some of the more recent stuff from Punch Brothers (e.g. Familiarity, In Wonder) where there are multiple simultaneous voices with strings of various depth in the background, and they are voiced quite nicely; each voice and instrument is easier to discern from the others, and the soundstage is wider as well. I think the treble is a bit more laid back on the CTH than the DFR, although after comparison, I would perhaps be more inclined to call the DFR highs a touch shrill than I would be to describe the CTH treble as dull. The bass is wonderful; hearing the bass line right at the opening of Julep is simply delicious.

Impact seems pretty good too; I like Nine Inch Nails' opener "Somewhat Damaged" for this, and it hits hard. The DFR has maybe a hair more impact, although it sounds sloppy and thin by comparison.

More impressions to come later. So far, I like it!

Feb 25, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #369 of 1,441
Update: Just got some more listening time on my HD 6XX. Compared to the DFR, the sound is smoother, as one would expect with a tube amplifier, although I would also say it doesn't seem to be at the expense of precision. Similarly, as one would expect, the sound is not analytical; you should look elsewhere if you want something for studio reference. My preferences definitely lean towards musicality, and that is indeed the style of this amp.

At the moment, I'm listening to some of the more recent stuff from Punch Brothers (e.g. Familiarity, In Wonder) where there are multiple simultaneous voices with strings of various depth in the background, and they are voiced quite nicely; each voice and instrument is easier to discern from the others, and the soundstage is wider as well. I think the treble is a bit more laid back on the CTH than the DFR, although after comparison, I would perhaps be more inclined to call the DFR highs a touch shrill than I would be to describe the CTH treble as dull. The bass is wonderful; hearing the bass line right at the opening of Julep is simply delicious.

Impact seems pretty good too; I like Nine Inch Nails' opener "Somewhat Damaged" for this, and it hits hard. The DFR has maybe a hair more impact, although it sounds sloppy and thin by comparison.

More impressions to come later. So far, I like it!

I have been thinking about getting a DFR to use as both a mobile solution as well as using as a DAC for driving my CTH. Have you tried using your DFR as a DAC with your CTH?
Would be interested in hearing how it works before getting a DFR.
Thanks...

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #370 of 1,441
I have been thinking about getting a DFR to use as both a mobile solution as well as using as a DAC for driving my CTH. Have you tried using your DFR as a DAC with your CTH?
Would be interested in hearing how it works before getting a DFR.
Thanks...

No I haven't, and that's an interesting proposal. I suspect that the Grace SDAC will outperform the DFR, but I'll give it a go later today to see how it works. I plan on putting my DFR up for sale shortly because of its volume problems with Android, so you can look for mine in the marketplace later today. (I also gotta pay for this CTH+SDAC somehow, trying to keep the overall value of my gear within reason.)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #371 of 1,441
No I haven't, and that's an interesting proposal. I suspect that the Grace SDAC will outperform the DFR, but I'll give it a go later today to see how it works. I plan on putting my DFR up for sale shortly because of its volume problems with Android, so you can look for mine in the marketplace later today. (I also gotta pay for this CTH+SDAC somehow, trying to keep the overall value of my gear within reason.)

Great, thanks in advance. I too have the Grace and will be interested in seeing how they compare.

Maybe it is just me, but in the chain: DAC -> Amp -> Headphones, I find the DAC to make the least difference, given a decent input source...

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #372 of 1,441
I ran music off an old iPod through the CTH for about 20-21 hours to burn-in the amp. I also am a rookie to the hobby (though fairly discerning in listening as I've played guitar since I was a kid) and this is my first real headphone amp, but I am impressed with the little listening that I've done so far. I've used my Grado RS-2e's which are obviously easy to drive but those phones take on extra liveliness with the CTH, in my opinion.

For those of you with more experience with different amps and headphones, how do you find the CTH + SDAC?

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #373 of 1,441
I almost ordered the original CTH but held off. Then Massdrop offered the CTH + SDAC version and I felt that it was a very good option for me, as I'm new to this headphone game and didn't have a standalone amp or DAC.

So those of you who've already received yours ordered the +SDAC version [lemme see, when did that version drop? September?], while those of us who ordered the original amp-only version on the first day it dropped back in August have been sent to the back of the pack of massdrop's order fulfillment? I live a scant 200 miles down I-95 from the warehouse and I might have mine on Thursday. I'm happy for you guys though. :thumbsup::wink:

None of my other tube gear takes a 6922, so I have nothing else to roll in immediately. Having read comments of those who have heard the amp, I'll probably hold off on the tube shopping spree for a little while. Maybe.

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #374 of 1,441
There are a number of inexpensive 6922 offerings. But I did find one for sale that cost far more than either version of the CTH. I think I can hold off on that one.

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #375 of 1,441
There are a number of inexpensive 6922 offerings. But I did find one for sale that cost far more than either version of the CTH. I think I can hold off on that one.

I’ve a *small* collection of high end 6922 and equivalent tubes. Once the amp has had a good burn in I’ll start to roll tubes. I’ll report back once I have a good grasp on how much tubes affect the sound in this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back