Massdrop x Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp (CTH) - Dropping Monday
Aug 21, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #886 of 1,442
I should have added a couple of things. First my comparison is primarily to the Valhalla 2, which sounds fine with the same headphones but I think the CTH sounds a bit better. Second, and obviously, this is subjective and relative to expectations, like everything in this hobby. In any event, I'm currently listening to the expanded version of The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads with the HD700 through the CTH and Tina Weymouth's terrific bass work sounds just great.

I checked out The Name of This Band is Talking Heads on Youtube and it really shines on my X00's as well. Things are starting to sound a little better nearing the 50 hour mark on the CTH, and honestly, even if I switch this out for a unit that has more bass, I think I'm going to miss the type of sound this thing produces. Of course I could always save for a Mojo or Grace, but that's pretty far in to the expensive territory.

Aug 21, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #887 of 1,442
I checked out The Name of This Band is Talking Heads on Youtube and it really shines on my X00's as well. Things are starting to sound a little better nearing the 50 hour mark on the CTH, and honestly, even if I switch this out for a unit that has more bass, I think I'm going to miss the type of sound this thing produces. Of course I could always save for a Mojo or Grace, but that's pretty far in to the expensive territory.
There’s often Mojos going in the for sale forum listings between 350-400 USD, so not too much more than the CTH these days.

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #888 of 1,442
I wasn't a fan of the stock tube. Anemic bass, and narrow 2 dimensional soundstage. The fix: 6c8g adapter with Tung-sol or Philco 6c8g, or 6n3 adapter and any of the 5670/2c51/396a tubes.
Cheers!
After reading earlier discussion regarding retro-fitting the CTH with 6C8G tube - I got curious and decided to try it for myself.
Got the socket saver from Tube Monger, the adapter from a Chinese eBay seller, and RCA 6C8G tube (off eBay). The Chinese adapter finally arrived today - so I could take it for a spin...

Let me start by saying that I also own a Lyr3 and 15-20 tubes that I was rolling, and the differences (to MY non-golden ears) have been subtle.

So... Listened to the stock CTH tube for an hour, to get my brain remember how it sounds like, and swapped it out in favor of the new 6C8G RCA tube.

WOW!

W O W ! ! !

The difference was anything BUT subtle - very obvious difference that can be heard immediately. CTH with 6C8G tube does not sound anything like the CTH with stock tube. Actually, let me re-phrase that: the nice sound of the CTH gets a LOT better. Same sound signature, but more powerful, especially in the low end, much nicer highs, the mid range sounds so smooth and good.... and sound stage feels wider or bigger. Used my Mr. Speakers AEON Flow Closed, btw.

I totally understand that for some, after buying the CTH ($250 or so) - no budget is left for the upgrade. My advice to you: start saving! we're talking $75-80 or so, that would totally transform your amp from entry-level to mid-tier (IMHO). CTH being used "stock" - is a waste of huge potential.

BTW, I am feeding the CTH from the Massdrop RDAC. GREAT combo, especially after the 6C8G upgrade :)
Massdrop portfolio of value components is VERY impressive. Cannot wait to see (and hear) what CT comes up with next!!! :wink:

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #890 of 1,442
After reading earlier discussion regarding retro-fitting the CTH with 6C8G tube - I got curious and decided to try it for myself.
Got the socket saver from Tube Monger, the adapter from a Chinese eBay seller, and RCA 6C8G tube (off eBay). The Chinese adapter finally arrived today - so I could take it for a spin...

Let me start by saying that I also own a Lyr3 and 15-20 tubes that I was rolling, and the differences (to MY non-golden ears) have been subtle.

So... Listened to the stock CTH tube for an hour, to get my brain remember how it sounds like, and swapped it out in favor of the new 6C8G RCA tube.

WOW!

W O W ! ! !

The difference was anything BUT subtle - very obvious difference that can be heard immediately. CTH with 6C8G tube does not sound anything like the CTH with stock tube. Actually, let me re-phrase that: the nice sound of the CTH gets a LOT better. Same sound signature, but more powerful, especially in the low end, much nicer highs, the mid range sounds so smooth and good.... and sound stage feels wider or bigger. Used my Mr. Speakers AEON Flow Closed, btw.

I totally understand that for some, after buying the CTH ($250 or so) - no budget is left for the upgrade. My advice to you: start saving! we're talking $75-80 or so, that would totally transform your amp from entry-level to mid-tier (IMHO). CTH being used "stock" - is a waste of huge potential.

BTW, I am feeding the CTH from the Massdrop RDAC. GREAT combo, especially after the 6C8G upgrade :)
Massdrop portfolio of value components is VERY impressive. Cannot wait to see (and hear) what CT comes up with next!!! :wink:

Those 6C8Gs open up more as time goes by. The tube width will expand and its sound becomes more refined. The guys in the Lyr tube rolling thread were great resources for finding out what tubes could be rolled in 6922 and compatible amps.

If Massdrop released a linear power supply for this amp I think it would go from lightweight champion to a middle weight powerhouse.

*Fingers crossed*

Aug 21, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #891 of 1,442
Bought a CTH recently and have been enjoying it, but considering purchasing a few tubes to try out rolling. Was just looking at the Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88, any other recommendations? It looks like I can pick up a 6C8G and adapter off ebay for pretty cheap which is tempting after the impressions Zachik just posted.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #892 of 1,442
I wasn't a fan of the stock tube. Anemic bass, and narrow 2 dimensional soundstage. The fix: 6c8g adapter with Tung-sol or Philco 6c8g, or 6n3 adapter and any of the 5670/2c51/396a tubes.
Let me ask one dumb question and one non-dumb question. The dumb question: is the socket saver only necessary when using a 6C8G tube and adapter? (To create height for that adapter's cable to clear the case I assume.) So is there any reason I should not use just a 6N3 adapter and Tung-Sol 2C51 tube without a socket saver? (Even though the 2C51 is stubbier than the stock tube it sits up higher with the adapter; I inserted it but have not used it yet.)

The non-dumb question: does the 2C51 (or 5670s, which I also have) provide an improvement over the stock tube in any way comparable to using the 6C8G?

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #893 of 1,442
Those 6C8Gs open up more as time goes by. The tube width will expand and its sound becomes more refined. The guys in the Lyr tube rolling thread were great resources for finding out what tubes could be rolled in 6922 and compatible amps.

If Massdrop released a linear power supply for this amp I think it would go from lightweight champion to a middle weight powerhouse.

*Fingers crossed*
Thanks buddy for your help on-thread and offline :)
I do not have inside information on LPS, but I did chat with CT from Massdrop several times on this issue... by now he's probably sick and tired from hearing me asking for LPS :wink:
Without knowing anything, I am optimistic too.

Aug 21, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #894 of 1,442
Bought a CTH recently and have been enjoying it, but considering purchasing a few tubes to try out rolling. Was just looking at the Amperex 6DJ8 ECC88, any other recommendations? It looks like I can pick up a 6C8G and adapter off ebay for pretty cheap which is tempting after the impressions Zachik just posted.
Don't forget the socket saver - it is required (unless you start cutting the case to widen the round hole above the tube socket)...

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #895 of 1,442
Let me ask one dumb question and one non-dumb question. The dumb question: is the socket saver only necessary when using a 6C8G tube and adapter? (To create height for that adapter's cable to clear the case I assume.) So is there any reason I should not use just a 6N3 adapter and Tung-Sol 2C51 tube without a socket saver? (Even though the 2C51 is stubbier than the stock tube it sits up higher with the adapter; I inserted it but have not used it yet.)

The non-dumb question: does the 2C51 (or 5670s, which I also have) provide an improvement over the stock tube in any way comparable to using the 6C8G?

It's not necessary but it'll make taking out the tube adapter much easier. If you wiggle the tube to try to take out the adapter, and the tube comes out by itself, you'll have a hell of a time trying to take out the adapter. Save yourself the stress of that happening.

I like 6n3ps/2c51s/5670s. They have a wider sound stage than the 6922/E88CC and you can find fantastic Russian tubes for cheap. I really enjoyed the GE 5-Star 5670 with the HD650s.

On the other hand the 6c8gs will provide you with the largest change in sound with this amp. It has a much wider sound stage and depth than any other tube types I've rolled.

I've mentioned this before in a small tube shoot out I did but the HD650 with the default Electro Harmonix tube has fantastic synergy. CEETEE and Cavalli did a great job finding the right tube to get most people started with a hybrid tube amp. I personally wouldn't roll tubes if I only had the HD650 but if you have other open head phones then why not. As been said before if you do use adapters MD will probably not cover your amp if stops working. If you're fine with that risk then roll on brother. :)

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #896 of 1,442
:beerchug:

WOW!

W O W ! ! !

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #897 of 1,442
The 5670 tubes are far better than the stock tube as well. They lack the space of the 6c8g in the soundstage, and bass presence. Not by much, but definitely noticeable. Imaging is pretty close. Everything is just bigger and fuller with the 6c8g.
You really don't need the socket saver for the 5670/adapter. Just makes it easier to swap and less wear on the socket itself.

That 6c8g you have will only get better over time. It'll smooth out and become more refined the closer you get to 50hrs.
Keep your eyes peeled in the future for a deal on a Tung-sol 6c8g. The midrange on that tube is a near religious experience lol. Everything is meatier. Imaging just to another level over the others.

Cheers

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #898 of 1,442
What he said! ~>
It's not necessary but it'll make taking out the tube adapter much easier. If you wiggle the tube to try to take out the adapter, and the tube comes out by itself, you'll have a hell of a time trying to take out the adapter. Save yourself the stress of that happening.

I like 6n3ps/2c51s/5670s. They have a wider sound stage than the 6922/E88CC and you can find fantastic Russian tubes for cheap. I really enjoyed the GE 5-Star 5670 with the HD650s.

On the other hand the 6c8gs will provide you with the largest change in sound with this amp. It has a much wider sound stage and depth than any other tube types I've rolled.

I've mentioned this before in a small tube shoot out I did but the HD650 with the default Electro Harmonix tube has fantastic synergy. CEETEE and Cavalli did a great job finding the right tube to get most people started with a hybrid tube amp. I personally wouldn't roll tubes if I only had the HD650 but if you have other open head phones then why not. As been said before if you do use adapters MD will probably not cover your amp if stops working. If you're fine with that risk then roll on brother. :)

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #899 of 1,442
Keep your eyes peeled in the future for a deal on a Tung-sol 6c8g. The midrange on that tube is a near religious experience lol. Everything is meatier. Imaging just to another level over the others.
With the help of @Phantaminum (who located it for me) - I just ordered a Tung-Sol under disguise from Australia... :wink:
So far, I got the RCA which sounds GREAT, and a Ken-Rad which I did not get to audition, yet...

Aug 21, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #900 of 1,442

Thanks for your reply, I'll likely try the 2C51s and/or the 5670s soon. I might as well start there since I already have everything on hand. If I like the results, I'll consider giving the 6C8Gs a try.

I was already worried about trying to get a socket saver or adapter out of the CTH. I already have a set of cheap (about $5 each) socket savers that I used at one time in the Valhalla 2 for aesthetic reasons. I once had one rolling around inside the Valhalla, which was a pain but retrievable since there is much more room to work in that amp. I'd dread having the same situation with the CTH. In any case, the 2C51 tube is pretty solidly inserted into the adapter, which almost invariably comes along upon removal of the tube, especially if done slowly and carefully (I did it twice today).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back