Massdrop Headphones recommendation for metal music
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #16 of 25
I only have experience with the HD 6XX's. I think they sound great listening to everything from Iron Maiden, Opeth, Cannibal Corpse, John5, BabyMetal, Sabaton... well, you get the picture. In order of preference I have used them with the following:
1. Lyr 3 - Modi Multibit
2. Magni 3 - Modi Multibit
3. DragonFly Red
4. FiiO X3 - 2nd Gen
5. Iphone 6

I have also used both the DragonFly Red and FiiO as a DAC with the Magni and Lyr which also produced great results.

Nov 1, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 25
Thank you @all for your help. It really assisted me in my decision and I think I'm still going for the HE4XX. Later, I might move towards the HD6XX, but I want to start with something easier to drive, yet modable and fun for a beginner to learn on.
One more small question though. Do you have any idea if there still are quality control issues with the Massdrop ones? It would be a drag to get them just to notice the left speaker is not working. I don't know if those were some isolated cases or if it happens frequently (I'm a quite unlucky guy when it comes to quality control issues). :D

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #18 of 25
Thank you @all for your help. It really assisted me in my decision and I think I'm still going for the HE4XX. Later, I might move towards the HD6XX, but I want to start with something easier to drive, yet modable and fun for a beginner to learn on.
One more small question though. Do you have any idea if there still are quality control issues with the Massdrop ones? It would be a drag to get them just to notice the left speaker is not working. I don't know if those were some isolated cases or if it happens frequently (I'm a quite unlucky guy when it comes to quality control issues). :D

I don't know, but if you check the discussion section on Massdrop, you'll probably be able to see if there are many ongoing QC issues. Usually folks are pretty vocal there.

Nov 1, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #19 of 25
HiFiMan and QC issues? Who knew?!? :wink:

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #20 of 25
Just adding my 2 cents and experience here. I personally found both the 400i and 400s needed to much EQ for me, and even then they weren't quite right for aggressive music. I found them to be too lacking in the low end to really appreciate kick drums and bass guitars. I also found them to be too hot on the high end, riding that sibilance line a little too close for me. I did however appreciate the slightly mid forward characteristics, but at times that was a bit much as well. The 400s was a little better on all fronts, and they are relatively nice sounding cans, just not for aggressive music imo. EQ wasn't enough to correct what I was hearing in attempt to satisfy. Imo, the 58X is a much better choice here. It's also built better, and much more comfortable. It's lighter in weight, and feels more sturdy. I also believe it's a little easier to drive than the 4XX. Not like a ton, but the LG phones do a swell job with the 58X, where as they really didn't have enough juice to push the Hifiman to their full potential. I don't know what Massdrops exchange policy is, but I'd start with the 58X. I know how it feels to be curious about all the cans out there though. What I also know is that the 58X is probably the best sounding open can under 300 bucks I've heard for rock and metal. It really is a steal of a deal.

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #21 of 25
Another point I'll add is that both 400i and 58X have good enough imaging and separation, but the Hifiman has a wider Soundstage. But here's the thing about that additional width. With aggressive music, and this is just my experience and what my ears have told me - with aggressive music a wide Soundstage can throw things off a bit. A headphone for this type of music should focus on attack rather than decay, and that's what you're getting in the 58X opposed to the Hifiman. Just some food for thought

Nov 2, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #22 of 25
I don't know, but if you check the discussion section on Massdrop, you'll probably be able to see if there are many ongoing QC issues. Usually folks are pretty vocal there.

Apparently, they still have a lot of issues. Couple that with the fact that HD58Xs are easier to drive and the fact that they are a bit cheaper (enough that I won't have to pay customs for them, thanks @audiofil for pointing that out), and I'm going for those.

Also, they seem to ship faster too. HiFiMan postponed the shipping of HE-4XX's because of some production issues.
I'm still looking at the HE-4XX and HD6XX (the latter for some relaxed listening), but I think I'll get those once I get more gear.

These couple of days were a roller coaster. Thank you all for putting up with me and helping me reach a decision!

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #25 of 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back