Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Jun 28, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #421 of 520
I wouldn't refer to these to have treble spike. Treble doesn't get fatiguing at all. Pretty remarkable imaging for a cupped headphone. What I love the most is the mids(and of course the subs). I don't find that the graph really represents the forward mids.

Don't cupped headphone usually have a V-response? Not the Ebony, and that's what I love about it along with the fun subs. The subs is pretty remarkable with bassy jazz(I think it's the naturalness from the wood cups).

It's one of the most balanced I've heard.

Refer to measurements, the spike is there at 11k. Granted, it's high enough to be inaudible for some, and I think my hearing's beginning to adapt to the extra 11kHz energy which is a scary thought, but try listening to modern tracks, say, Taylor Swift's ... Ready For It? and tell me the treble doesn't sting.

YMMV depending on gear too.

More W-shaped than V-shaped. The Klipsch HP-3 are V-shaped that still manage to sound good, whereas the TH-X00 has more midrange presence. It does tend to get a bit shouty as a result, but that doesn't bother me as much as the treble, really.

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #422 of 520
One thing I wish the Ebony did better with is rock. Distortion sounds too soft. Not enough sharp hard rock definition. Or that hard rock crunch. So, it certainly isn't peaky sounding. It works well for vocal centric and jazz due to it's response.

For sharp hard, you got Focal with it's hard hitting driver design.

I think there is a trade-off between non-fatiguing and good hard rock performance(which has peakiness).

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #424 of 520
They just did a very short drop, I got the email a few hours ago and the clock started at 18 hours (10 hours left). I debated for 4 or 5 hours as some reviews said the Mahogony was better, others said get the purples if you want bass and other said the Ebony was the best of the bunch (so confusing). Anyway since the Ebony are limited edition (I believe the wood is now on the endangered list or something) I bit the bullet and bought them. I believe you can actually buy the other two sets of ear cups but never can buy the Ebony so....

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #426 of 520
Well, for me, having all three, I prefer the Ebony. Even preferred Mahogany more than the Purpleheart. :)

Aug 12, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #428 of 520
I ordered on the last drop. Hopefully it comes soon im excited.

Aug 24, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #429 of 520
Mine were shipped yesterday (Germany).
I'm excited.

Where I can buy jacks for the th-x00?
I only found some on AliExpress for 30€ a pair...

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #431 of 520
The cherry wood ones on the TH900 are pretty light. Did a shootout between the TH900 and the HP-3 and found the Fostexes weighed almost nothing compared to the Klipsch, the Klipsches themselves weighing roughly the same as the X00 Ebony (better distribution on my head though).

Just a shame that the woods used are almost certainly going to colour the sound, but comfort is important too.

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #432 of 520
Is really the wood making the difference in the sound? It's not just for show?

If so, I like the Ebony wood, and what it does to bass sounds. It's like how guitar wood effects sounds.

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #433 of 520
Is really the wood making the difference in the sound? It's not just for show?

If so, I like the Ebony wood, and what it does to bass sounds. It's like how guitar wood effects sounds.

Yup. Measurements validate subjective impressions of the differences between woods (or vise versa if you prefer). Haven't yet tried other versions of the Fostex biodynas besides the TH610 and TH900 so I'm recusing myself from direct comparisons between the X00 line.

Nov 9, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #435 of 520
Hi,

I want to mount the dekoni audio Elite Sheepskin Earpads on my Th-x00 Ebony.
Where i can get a new, plastic ring, that has a round opening?
Because as I understand it, it would not be optimal to use the original ring (oval opening).
Is this right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back