Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
May 19, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #406 of 520
Ok, I hope to be more active here soon. I have the Dekoni TH-900 Sheepskin pads, and they suck out the bass. I just ordered the plastic acoustic cut out things off Amazon. Hopefully this brings back the sound. I plan on using them as a template for other materials that might work better. Time to fix these beauties. I haven't listened to them in a while, and that is crap. I'll report back once I get them. Should be quick. Prime shipping. Dekoni sells them (how convenient) for $15.

Yes, without the plastic rings the headphones just do not sound right. I think it is partly an echo effect.
In my studio (Pilates) I have a room where the entrance door covers a speaker when the door is open.
This reflection actualy creates a nice very full sound. Surely not a good stereo image but it adds.

May 26, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #407 of 520
I've been hoping on getting my hands on a pair of these hp's but no longer see them on massdrop, anyone here have any news if they'll be back for a drop..Thanks

May 26, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #408 of 520
I've been hoping on getting my hands on a pair of these hp's but no longer see them on massdrop, anyone here have any news if they'll be back for a drop..Thanks

They should have some remaining. Once they sell out, they're gone forever. Out of wood. Supposedly 1,500 or so were made. They weren't close to that last time I checked.

May 26, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #409 of 520
Thanks for the reply I'll keep checking..enjoy

May 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #410 of 520
They should have some remaining. Once they sell out, they're gone forever. Out of wood. Supposedly 1,500 or so were made. They weren't close to that last time I checked.

Is that for real? Can't they just get more ebony? It's not like it's ivory or something.

May 26, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #412 of 520
I think it might have been mentioned that Ebony wood is an endangered species and its export/import is restricted IIRC.

I remember seeing that, but I guess I assumed it was just marketing hype. I may have to jump on these next time, depending on how they compare to the E-MU Teaks.

Jun 1, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #413 of 520
Jun 2, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #414 of 520
Well I joined the drop can't wait to get my hands on these Ebony beauties now with a detachable cable, very nice hopefully I'll find a balanced cable for these hp's..

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #418 of 520
I'll never not stop to take a peek at these when im on massdrop, but can't bring myself to actually buy them

If you can look past the treble spike then these are quite remarkably balanced. Measurements make them out to be bassy as all hell, but I don't find them particularly bottom-heavy except on some tracks, and even then that's more a function of the mixing and mastering process than the headphones' inherent shortcomings. Not sure if you're fishing for a prod to buy these or what, but regardless I'd say these are killer for the price. Think a (slightly less resolving) HD650 without the weak bass, somewhat more energy up top, and better headstage and imaging.

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #419 of 520
Anybody bought this headphone from Canada ? I am afraid of extra brokerage fees. :frowning2: I dont mind paying taxes, currency diff.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #420 of 520
If you can look past the treble spike then these are quite remarkably balanced. Measurements make them out to be bassy as all hell, but I don't find them particularly bottom-heavy except on some tracks, and even then that's more a function of the mixing and mastering process than the headphones' inherent shortcomings. Not sure if you're fishing for a prod to buy these or what, but regardless I'd say these are killer for the price. Think a (slightly less resolving) HD650 without the weak bass, somewhat more energy up top, and better headstage and imaging.
I wouldn't refer to these to have treble spike. Treble doesn't get fatiguing at all. Pretty remarkable imaging for a cupped headphone. What I love the most is the mids(and of course the subs). I don't find that the graph really represents the forward mids.

Don't cupped headphone usually have a V-response? Not the Ebony, and that's what I love about it along with the fun subs. The subs is pretty remarkable with bassy jazz(I think it's the naturalness from the wood cups).

It's one of the most balanced I've heard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back