Mass Effect Andromeda
Mar 30, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #16 of 31
Nice! I'm romancing Vetra on the first playthrough, and she is so lovely goodness. She has such a unique perspective, and is very different from Garrus, which I appreciate (I love Garrus, but I'm glad they made the turians different from each other haha). 
Next time I might romance Jaal, the Peebee seem real fun!

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #17 of 31
Is it just me or is the facial expressions on aliens are better than humans?

It's not great either way but still...

And the game itself is fun but I see what a lot of reviews and people been saying, it could've been more.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #18 of 31
  Is it just me or is the facial expressions on aliens are better than humans?

It's not great either way but still...

And the game itself is fun but I see what a lot of reviews and people been saying, it could've been more.

Bioware will release patch 1.05 tomorrow that improves the facial animation on humans and asari. Personally I don't find the poor facial animations to be that big of a deal, it was a bit distracting in the beginning but I quickly got used to it. Still nice of Bioware to fix it so soon.

Here's the patch notes for 1.05 -> http://blog.bioware.com/2017/04/04/mass-effect-andromeda-patch-1-05-notes/

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #19 of 31

Bioware will release patch 1.05 tomorrow that improves the facial animation on humans and asari. Personally I don't find the poor facial animations to be that big of a deal, it was a bit distracting in the beginning but I quickly got used to it. Still nice of Bioware to fix it so soon.

Here's the patch notes for 1.05 -> http://blog.bioware.com/2017/04/04/mass-effect-andromeda-patch-1-05-notes/

The facial animation isn't too much of a deal, I agree but it's still disappointing.

The big thing for me right now is the crafting/inventory system... it is painful.

Supposely not all of the fixes are coming this week. It's just a preview of what's to come.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #20 of 31
  The big thing for me right now is the crafting/inventory system... it is painful.

The crafting system definitely needs improving/streamlining, it's really clunky at the moment.

The biggest thing I'm waiting for is to get working Crossfire. I get perfectly playable framerates with just a single 290X at 2560x1600 with high details though with the occasional stuttering in some conversations/cutscenes, but it would still be nice to be able to use both my GPUs.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #21 of 31

The biggest thing I'm waiting for is to get working Crossfire. 

Well, Crossfire 'works' in that it now actually uses both cards, but unfortunately performance with Crossfire enabled is horrible with bad texture flickering and frequent freezes in menus requiring a restart of the game. Performance with just a single card is much better with no graphical glitches or freezing either.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #22 of 31
In the NVIDIA camp with SLi, we aren't faring much better than the crossfire brigade. The game freezes and is almost unplayable with Dual 1080. NVIDIA did come out with a patch that resolved some of the issues, but I fear it is going to take more effort for the game to play smoothly than Bioware probably has to spare.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #23 of 31
Finished the game today, took 96 hours. Overall I enjoyed it a lot and luckily didn't run into any game breaking bugs that are being reported by other players. I'll probably wait a bit though for the game to get patched and polished before starting another playthrough, might try some multiplayer in the mean time.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #24 of 31
This game isn't great in any aspect really.  Here are my early impressions at about 20 hours in, copied from another forum.

What is the purpose of this game? That is a splendid question, truly. Let's try and break it down. The purpose of most AAA action games today is to provide a cinematic action experience that is enjoyable to the lowest common denominator. This applies to ME:A as well.

Generally speaking, the purpose of an RPG is to let the player live out an alternative, virtual life, in a detailed fictional setting. Mass Effect's setting is... lacking in many ways. The fact that the Asari found mass relays and the Citadel around 2000 years before humanity even made itself known, combined with the fact that the humans were nowhere near even 500 years behind the Turians during the First Contact War... they want us to believe these other species stagnated for almost 2000 years. Mass Effect has always had a very incomplete, inconsistent approach to technology, not good for an RPG universe.

ME1 didn't even show us females from these other species for crying out loud, and in all four games there is very little physical variation among every species. Everyone is fit and in good shape, no such thing as an obese person from any species. We are never introduced to these alien cultures on anything close to a deep level. Most of these aliens are so very human, at the end of the day.

ME:A specifically, along with The Witcher franchise, have the least role-playing of every game that carries the 'RPG' moniker. You can't even define who your character is, really. It is predetermined that male Ryder has one sense of humor, and is a rather lighthearted and jolly and somewhat enthusiastic person. You can just choose to make him more goal oriented or more personal and passionate, that's all. So many times in ME:A you are given no choices, things just play out in cutscenes out of your control.

It also lacks the gameplay mechanics to be an excellent RPG, since all you do is move around and engage in combat, plus some micromanagement aspects. So obviously the purpose of ME:A is not to provide a competent role-playing experience.

So what remains is a cinematic action adventure game, a space exploration + third person shooter game. Yet the in-game cinematics, as is the case with most 'cinematic' games, are abysmal. The excessive focus on extreme closeups during dialogue, which happens most of the time, is not at all how films are shot.  Not to mention uninvited characters can accidentally end up in a conversation cutscene, ruining it as shown here. Gamers love to throw around the word CINEMATIX!!! but they'd do well to study cinema. A poor imitation of cinema, certainly.

Space exploration? The incomplete and inconsistent approach to technology, and the shallow development of alien species and the lack of really unique attributes to them, all mentioned above, already harm this aspect of the game. ME:A provides pretty worlds at first glance, but the exploration itself is as lame as in DA:I. Gathering materials, lots of looking but not so much interacting, and the environmental interaction is just "Hold E and it's over." It gets repetitive and there is no real thought behind it. Some of the technology is weird sure, but not a whole lot of it despite being in another galaxy. I laughed my ass off when Ryder and Co. were puzzled about what was obviously a power generator, on the first planet, and when they shat their pants as it powered on, not knowing what it would do. Really?

For exploring alien worlds, BioWare should have really learned from games like Obduction which blows this game out of the water in that aspect. In that game, you don't immediately understand everything about the alien worlds and how things work, and it is a fatal flaw that this is the case in ME:A.

Then there is the awful backtracking, such as on Havarl when you have to find the Sages. You have to descend a massive crater-like structure, platform by platform, traverse a large valley, then ascend a skyscraper by climbing platforms and using gravity wells. Once you get to the top, you get a new quest, and then have to go all the way back down, across, and back up again, with no quicker way out.

And despite the size, it is awfully linear. You can come across quest locations that for no logical reason are barred off from exploration and interaction. Synthetic limitations. Excellent RPGs often let you do quests in essentially whichever order you please; this isn't necessary RPG design, but it is often logical, like how in Fallout you can actually find Master very early. But the synthetic limitation here is illogical.

So ME:A fails as an RPG and is weak as a space exploration game. That leaves the third person shooter aspect, where it is pretty good but not outstanding I think. First of all, there is notable clunkiness. Annoying delays after using powers and after landing from a jump during which you can't melee attack or jump. It is not fluid. The cover system is inferior to that of ME3; the fact that you have to switch shoulders to shoot out of both sides of cover, while in ME3 this was automatic. Cover often exposes you too much to enemy fire, to the point where you are better off not using the cover system sometimes. And you can only move cover to cover on a flat X axis, but it's so easy to overshoot this since you're jetpack boosting yourself to do this.

The three ability limitation is just as I initially expected, it is just that—a limitation, a senseless one and a downgrade from ME3 which let us hotkey up to 7 abilities and didn't force us to switch LOADOUTS which activates the cooldown for all powers.

Friendly AI is dumber than a bag of rocks, literally below average by 2000 video game standards. Their navigation is atrocious and still they like to randomly jump up on boxes and what not. They are only functional due to constant teleporting. You can only order your squad mates to a specific position and recall them, that is the extent of squad control whereas the previous games made them more useful by letting you pause and activate their abilities. The player character is made of glass compared to everyone else, and how does Vetra have more HP than Drack? Enemy AI essentially never misses, which is another problem.  Physics are too static for a 2017 game and it has stupid invisible walls, such as in between two stalks of a giant plant that are 5 feet apart not allowing you to shoot through.

And wow, one series of quests on Havarl demonstrates some of the absolute most horrendous writing I have ever come across in a game.  Unexpected.  I couldn't take this game seriously before but now...

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #26 of 31
Just finished it last night started just burning through the story when I realized that nothing I did made any impact on future gameplay. Never thought I would miss paragon and renegade as much I do. The difficult "choices" have absolutely no impact on your character relations as far as I can tell. Your team feels lifeless and I actively found myself flat out hating them.

I thought Noctis from FF15 was an emotionless ****** but Male Ryder is a lifeless zombie.

Game hasn't gotten an original bone in its whole package. Archon/kett come off as a crappy wannabe Hive/Collectors. Game is ripped off moments of the original trilogy. If it wasn't on frostbite I would have thought it was an asset flip and nothing more.

I sat through the credits and watched the 100s of names scroll by and thought how did this happen? Then I saw Casey Hudsons name and the 2 Drs names and realized if I was in their shoes I would have asked for my name to be patched out. I realize that makes me a bitter fanboy. I have no shame about it.

Rhamnetin I loved your view of it I agree wholeheartedly.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #27 of 31
so heard some bad pc reviews on release. did the new patches make the game better? Huge fan of mass effect games but don't want to play no broken game considering how little time I have these days.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #28 of 31
so heard some bad pc reviews on release. did the new patches make the game better? Huge fan of mass effect games but don't want to play no broken game considering how little time I have these days.

The only thing actually broken is friendly AI. The game is still awful, here are my more detailed impressions on it (copying/pasting something I wrote elsewhere).

The initially obvious questionable design choices (revealed by pre-release footage) such as the removed pausing, reduced squad control, and limiting hotkeys from 7 in the previous games to 3 are not even close to its biggest problems. Even the fact that friendly AI is inferior to many 1990s games I've played is not the worst of this game's issues. The abysmal, highly inefficient UI and general presentation including tutorial prompts and how poorly placed they are, as well as the unnecessary grindy gameplay mechanics that add nothing to the game are also not the worst of its issues, nor is the fact that many named Asari characters (a humanoid race that looks very human) have the same exact face models. The inconsistent graphics that range from excellent to piss poor are the least of its issues. The cover system is more limited and more clunky compared to Mass Effect 3, but this is not the main issue with the game. Synthetic restrictions on exploration, such as the illogical inability to progress into a quest area until you activate the quest is not the worst of its issues. Typical Hollywood lazy plot devices like your advanced space helmet being made of fragile glass so that it cracks easily leaving you with no breathable air is not the worst of its issues either. There is lots of tedious backtracking, but that isn't the worst of its issues, and neither are the exploitable AI which can make combat effortless nor the weapon attachments having illogical properties.

Wait, all of those flaws (many of which are significant, all of which combined is enough to easily pass on the game) are only the smaller issues of Mass Effect: Andromeda? That's right. So now you might be wondering what its primary issues are.

The primary issues are in quest design and writing. Every quest boils down to either: "Go to this marked spot and kill everything" or "Go to this marked spot and hold E to interact with some alien technology that is not at all unique" or a combination of those two elements. And the protagonist, which is too predefined to make a good RPG protagonist, has no military experience. Yet you take out massive enemy fortifications on your own and accomplish things that would make N7 soldiers jealous.

Every new planet starts off with the same basic main quests as well. Dragon Age: Inquisition was the same way only with closing the Rifts, so one quest was the same on every new location until you finished that main quest line. But in Mass Effect: Andromeda, the issue is much more severe and extends to many quests being identical everywhere you go, and the process of completing these identical quests is always the same and always too simple. Every quest is a chore and has no intrinsic reward beyond proposed combat enjoyment, but the AI is too broken and lacking in fundamental intelligence and the mechanics have taken a step back compared to Mass Effect 3 in too many ways such as the cover system (but it has many new kinds of weapons which is nice). The core mechanics themselves are also too laggy, resulting in a clunkier game than Mass Effect 3. Jumping in particular can have a huge delay between pressing the jump key and the jump actually happening.

And for some reason, you cannot save during main quests. It relies on auto saves which can have as much as a 15 minute (maybe even more) gap between them, so you can lose lots of progress easily.

And the writing? One particular quest chain (a main one, not side quests) demonstrates some of the worst writing I have ever come across in any published work. First of all, the emphasis of this story driven game is not on writing at all, it's on facial animations and poor cinematics. Almost every conversation is just a closeup; gamers do like this "cinematic" design when the facial animations are good but this is not how movies are shot. It is terrible simulated cinematography, and the facial animations are so bad that they have become a meme. But I digress.

The incomplete/unrealistic approach to technology in this game is worse than any of the previous Mass Effect games. You cannot even determine the tech level of the newly introduced species due to lack of exposition. Alien design is subpar as usual; take any non-human character, swap their model to a human one, and then they are exactly the same as humans. They are humans in costumes. The game likes to contradict itself, such as how Cora says she can rip an APC in two with her biotics, yet she can do nothing remotely close to that, or how Ryder has no military background yet with just two other people takes out massive enemy fortifications even early in the game.

Let's not forget how unrealistically stupid the game's characters often are (like most mainstream movies and shows and games); for example, Ryder and his/her squad come across a small alien structure and cannot determine what the technology inside does, when the piece they are puzzled about is obviously a generator. When you turn it on, everyone freaks out and thinks they are about to die... when it is obviously just a power generator. Which leads to another issue; much of the game's technology comes from an ancient super advanced species called the "Remnants" yet almost all of it is recognizable to us, and the technology and Remnant ruins which you explore throughout the game are always the same. More repetition. Games do not get more repetitive than Mass Effect: Andromeda.

This game has the worst foreign culture exposition (something BioWare always attempts) of all BioWare games. You visit a new planet belonging to a newly discovered (for you) non-hostile species, and the only few cultural aspects you get introduced to are quickly tossed at you every time, before you get sent on a quest to either kill everything or hold E to interact with something or both.

Of course native creatures on most if not all planets are all hostile, which is highly unrealistic. The game even has the same local wildlife on various planets, even ones belonging to different star systems? Really? Such laziness... or rather the result of the whole game being made in about 18 months.

But none of that is even close to the worst of this game's writing. What is explained above shows the core writing flaws in all areas of the game, but the worst of this game's writing resides in one specific quest chain. Here comes the spoiler mentioned at the top of this page. Out of left field a newly encountered non-hostile species informs you that they believe in reincarnation, because it is relevant to a task at hand; you need to find something that will save a planet from dying, but only one person knew where it is and she is long dead. So you must put that reincarnation theory to the test, since if it proves true you will get the information you need. You must locate a family memento of sorts and give it to someone of their bloodline who is still alive. If provided with the memento, that person instantly receives the memories of the person who owned the memento.

Okay outsider who has yet to be proven trustworthy (that's you), now go put our ancient religious theory to the test. Next thing you know, it turns out to be true, meaning almost as soon as you meet these people you prove their only mentioned religious beliefs (of course there are no religious conflicts in the game) to be true. That is like an alien coming to our planet and in a few days proving that Jesus Christ was indeed God's son.

You prove their religion true by going to a marked location to retrieve an heirloom (that memento I mentioned earlier), then going to another marked location to kill some xenophobes and then giving the object to their leader (descendant of the person who owned the heirloom) and voila, their only religion mentioned is proven right before your eyes. If it was this easy to prove, why wasn't their religion a widely accepted fact? They are a space faring species yet they were unable to prove their own religion, despite proving it being a task simple enough for a child to perform? Someone please let us know in the comments about writing examples you think might be worse than this one. We did not leave out any important details, that's all of it.

And the "role-playing?" You can play as a more goal oriented Ryder or passionate Ryder, either way he is the same jolly fellow with the same sense of humor. Many situations are just non-interactive cutscenes. This is objectively one of the worst RPGs ever, along with The Witcher 2 and The Witcher 3. So this game is deeply flawed in every single aspect, and terrible in some of the most important ones such as writing, quest design, and role-playing.

We should list some positive attributes about the game before moving on. Although it is clunkier than Mass Effect 3, the combat mechanics are good overall but still with blatant flaws like the limitation to three hotkeys which forces you to basically change classes in real-time during combat, which activates the cooldown on all powers, and also the weapon mods having illogical properties is a problem. The sound effects are excellent however, particularly amazing in the space scenes even.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #29 of 31
I finished the game a while back and I can say it does not reminds me of the original Mass effects. The story line is plain and you spend hours and hours driving the Meko up some steep hill just to spend 5 mins there and get back down again. Can't say I like this game at all.:triportsad::triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back