Maryland mini-meet impressions (12/10)
Dec 15, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #31 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
We are gonna have to organize a road trip from NY down to DC at some point.

Only if you pick me up on the way.
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #32 of 45
Ok so here are the pics I took, not many and most of this gear has been represented in other pics...but what the heck...

A partial guts shot of the balanced M^3. The power supplies are underneath the amp boards, but I won't say what the are just yet
smily_headphones1.gif

IMG_1475.jpg

At the meet
IMG_1478.jpg

The CD player is a Wadia 23, I think they were in production in the late 90s or so. It uses the Pioneer Stable Platter transport that is used in the Pioneer Elite series of CD players from the late 90s as well as in the Wadia 301 (which is a great player as well!)
IMG_1479.jpg

Sigh, the Orpheus sounds brilliant no matter what you hook it up to. I love going to Hirsch's house since there is a great mix of high end and budget gear there. You really get to mix and match and as this photo shows, sometimes you get some interesting combos. The Stax Lambda pros sounded great out of this setup as well. There was a comparison with the Lambda pros and a few of the current Stax models (Omega II, and a few others whose model numbers I've forgotten). The consensus seemed to be that the Lambda pros are pretty darn good and in the case of the lower Stax headphone model we listened to, the Lambda outperformed it.

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

I balanced my W100s. Hirsch said it best when he told me once you go balanced it's hard to go back.
smily_headphones1.gif
Of course nothing holds a tube to the SDS-XLR.
smily_headphones1.gif

IMG_1483.jpg

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyandelyse
Jahn,

The best line I heard all week! You had the damn thing for 2 weeks and you were not sure if it was on or off. Chill out...stay away from the phones for a few days. You need to go cold turkey.

Dan

James...

On or Off?

Dec 16, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

James...

On or Off?

Um, with the button not pushed in. Was that on or off? I'm not joking!
confused.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Um, with the button not pushed in. Was that on or off? I'm not joking!
confused.gif

Very confusing...ON or OFF
Button IN or OUT
Light ON or OFF
GOOD or NO GOOD
poor James, two weeks he had the damn ED1 !
very, very confused
Dan

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Very confusing...ON or OFF
Button IN or OUT
Light ON or OFF
GOOD or NO GOOD
poor James, two weeks he had the damn ED1 !
very, very confused
Dan

uh, button out, light...off? was GOOD!

button in, light on ... BAD!

power button out, power light off - didn't hear anything!
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Just when I thought I could get through a meet thread without a pic of stevieo, this shows up.

Thrice is braver than I. I didn't want to risk damaging my camera by taking one.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #40 of 45
I'm intrigued by the good performance obtained by connecting the HE90 to an SRD-7. But, there seem to be two kinds of SRD-7. The Stax SRD-7/Mk2 was first produced in 1985, while the SRD-7 was first produced in 1971. So, what's the difference between these two units, and will they drive an HE90, and Omega 2 equally well?

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #43 of 45
Thanks for your quick response. Can I assume that the O2, and the HE90 (Stax->Sennheiser adapter) are connected to a pro bias jack?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
SRD-7 comes with two normal bias jacks. SRD-7/MK2 comes with one normal bias jack and one pro bias jacks. SRD-7Pro comes with two pro bias jacks. You want either SRD-7/MK2 or SRD-7Pro.

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #44 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
Thanks for your quick response. Can I assume that the O2, and the HE90 (Stax->Sennheiser adapter) are connected to a pro bias jack?

Yep. The one in this thread appears to be SRD-7Pro from the pic, btw. SRD-7Pro also looks the best, IMO, with black chassis and gold letterings.

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg

Yep. It's the SRD-7 Professional. Two Pro bias jacks. No electret bias jack, but I don't have any Stax electrets, and am not suffering
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back