Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Apr 17, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #77 of 6,783
The more I listen to the Mikros 90, the more I love them. These are amazing headphones. The clarity and resolution are just out of this world. Still not fussy about the fit..

May 14, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #78 of 6,783
Quote:
I only auditioned these at Best Buy.  They aren't horrible, just "blah".  There is nothing special about them.  It's not even that they are super accurate.  Their detail retrieval is average and their highs are slightly rolled off.  Bass is anemic.  They are just plain boring.  There are so many better headphones at their price point including:

PSB M4U1
B&W P5
V-Moda M-100
Sony MDR-1R
Sennheiser Momentum
Several new Monster headphones

Heck, I think I even prefer Beats Executive to these.

O c'mon, don't be so dark. 
smile.gif
 I know for sure the B&W is a massive disappointment and
the Sony is abysmal (their XB series is better in some ways). 
The PSB is not bad at all, but I think they make far better floorstanders.
But the Momentum sound has a nice audiophile-lite quality to it. 
I do notice there are a lot of insane number of choices out there. Even once-upon-a-time giant like
Nakamichi has entered the headphones arena. B&O has their offerings too. But I feel these companies are
merely soaking up young people's insatiable demands for fashionable brands on
their heads rather than pursuing true sonic excellence. Serious audiophile brand carries another
form of "in-the-know" coolness, the more esoteric the brand (like B&O or Martin Logan), the cooler it is.
"What? You don't know Martin Logan? You need to get schooled, boy!"

The whole thing can be summed up by this:

Why Aston Martin? Why?

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #79 of 6,783
There are some very mixed reviews here but most are not glowing endorsements. Many comments say they don't belong in the $300 price range compared to some other headphones in that range but if they were less than half that cost, would they be worth it? Newegg is selling them today (for another 2hrs) for $130. Seems they should be worthwhile at that cost considering they were compared to the popular B&W P3s and P5s (with less bass). While reading these reviews, I was still on the fence at $130 but ordered them anyway.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #80 of 6,783
Quote:
There are some very mixed reviews here but most are not glowing endorsements. Many comments say they don't belong in the $300 price range compared to some other headphones in that range but if they were less than half that cost, would they be worth it? Newegg is selling them today (for another 2hrs) for $130. Seems they should be worthwhile at that cost considering they were compared to the popular B&W P3s and P5s (with less bass). While reading these reviews, I was still on the fence at $130 but ordered them anyway.

They do have better clarity than most headphones in that price range.  What genres of music do you prefer?

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #81 of 6,783
It's an interesting question. I listen to mostly noise (rock, pop, punk) yet I want neutral sounding equipment. I don't want the audio components coloring the sound intended by the artist/producers. Though in a noisy environment, it helps to have increased bass. I have some music that's more subtle but not much where it's just acoustic instruments recorded, unaltered, direct to tape or digital. So knowing my equipment isn't altering the intended sound is important. I'm sure I'd be fooled initially into thinking that something that produces pumped up bass or increased high-mids is better or more revealing, but after listening to other familiar material, I'd realize that it's really a distortion of the original source. I avoid compressed files like mp3s (not dynamically compressed because that's nearly impossible to find these days though in loud environments it's probably needed). I'm sure I'd have a hard time distinguishing higher quality mp3s at 192 or above from uncompressed wav or flac files especially with the noise I listen to but I just don't want to feel like I might be missing something. I didn't order these ML Mikros 90's as my primary headphones. I wanted to have something other then ear buds to use occasionally for portability.

I'm sure the newegg deal is done for now but if anyone feels like they missed it, they sometimes repeat their 'shell shocker' deals. Or maybe this is just the first of many online sites that will be reducing the price on these. From most of the reviews here, it's clear they were not worth $300. I'll let everyone know in a week if I think they were worth $130 (plus CA tax for me). 

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #82 of 6,783
Quote:
It's an interesting question. I listen to mostly noise (rock, pop, punk) yet I want neutral sounding equipment. I don't want the audio components coloring the sound intended by the artist/producers. Though in a noisy environment, it helps to have increased bass. I have some music that's more subtle but not much where it's just acoustic instruments recorded, unaltered, direct to tape or digital. So knowing my equipment isn't altering the intended sound is important. I'm sure I'd be fooled initially into thinking that something that produces pumped up bass or increased high-mids is better or more revealing, but after listening to other familiar material, I'd realize that it's really a distortion of the original source. I avoid compressed files like mp3s (not dynamically compressed because that's nearly impossible to find these days though in loud environments it's probably needed). I'm sure I'd have a hard time distinguishing higher quality mp3s at 192 or above from uncompressed wav or flac files especially with the noise I listen to but I just don't want to feel like I might be missing something. I didn't order these ML Mikros 90's as my primary headphones. I wanted to have something other then ear buds to use occasionally for portability.

I'm sure the newegg deal is done for now but if anyone feels like they missed it, they sometimes repeat their 'shell shocker' deals. Or maybe this is just the first of many online sites that will be reducing the price on these. From most of the reviews here, it's clear they were not worth $300. I'll let everyone know in a week if I think they were worth $130 (plus CA tax for me). 

If you prefer a more neutral sound, you may enjoy these.  For my taste, I found the bass anemic.  Well done finding a comparatively great deal on those. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #83 of 6,783
I wasn't really in the market for headphones but I get newegg's 'shell shocker' promos emailed to me everyday and once in a while there's a real deal in there. They advertised the discount relative to its list price so I checked amazon to verify (they were being sold there for $210). In most cases, amazon and newegg have similar pricing so I figured this could actually be a good deal. The next step was to check for real reviews here from people who know what they're talking about. If it got completely trashed, it wouldn't be worth buying even at that discounted price.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading everyone's comments here and I'll find out which reviews I agree with when the headphones arrive.

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #84 of 6,783
my big question is what is the configuration of the driver in the MLs.  is it regular dynamic, air motion transformer (AMT), planar dymamic, or what?  if they are AMTs, it would be relevant to deeply investigate their sound.  headphones as fashion statements seems foolish to me but truly improved sound at affordable pricing would be revelatory.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #85 of 6,783
Quote:
my big question is what is the configuration of the driver in the MLs.  is it regular dynamic, air motion transformer (AMT), planar dymamic, or what?  if they are AMTs, it would be relevant to deeply investigate their sound.  headphones as fashion statements seems foolish to me but truly improved sound at affordable pricing would be revelatory.

confused_face_2.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #86 of 6,783
I received the headphones earlier in the week and I was surprised at how good the bass sounded. It could be that I expected much less based on the reviews here. The bass is solid, the mids (voice and guitar) are push up a bit but not muddy. The highs are smooth.  That's my initial assessment. They seem well built and the cord is flexible and quiet. I wouldn't be thrilled if I paid $300 for them but at $130, they're well worth it.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #89 of 6,783
I paid $130 last week and like them so at $110, even better.  I couldn't see the deal on the newegg site today since Hotmail seems to be down and I never got the newegg daily email but their normal selling price for the Mikros 90 is now $150. If the discount code in the link above works, and you're slightly interested in these headphones, buy a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back